Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Norfolk, Va. Gets Lght Rail

Personally, I like light rail. I know some don't. But this kinda surprised me as I did not know Norfolk was building a system until I heard it began operations on friday. I have not seen any shots on RP, but I found a few on flickr --

Twilight Tide by CIOPhoto, on Flickr

Norfolk Light Rail by James B Currie, on Flickr

The last shot can't be shared via social media, so here's a link to it. Judging from other shots I've seen of this location as well as this shot, this looks like a great spot for shooting depending on light!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgrendelx/6059125790/
Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
jnohallman

I just rode the Tide yesterday. For those who might be in the area, the Tide is free to ride through the end of this week. The free ride promotion was intended to draw attention, and seems to have worked, as HRT (Hampton Roads Transit) estimates about 35,000 people turned out to ride on Saturday. I took a few shots yesterday, but it was kind of a cloudy day, so I don't know whether any of the will turn out to be RP worthy. Norfolk's light rail system is supposed to be the first segment of a light rail operation that will eventually also get to the waterfront in Virginia Beach (if the voters in the Beach ever get around to approving anything more than studying it).

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

I'm looking forward to getting up there, but also to seeing others shots of it. There are a few shots on RRPA that are typical of that web site and the ones I linked from Flickr, but none on RP yet.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I have not been there in like 20 years, but Norfolk was a shithole last I saw it. My uncle was stationed there in the Navy from like 73-89 and I visited there many times. The N&W mainline went through some rough areas. The whole town was a dump, the sailors used to call it "shit city".

I cant imagine that they have light rail. Has the economy improved? It was a dying town hanging onto the Navy and port as it's only lifeblood.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
jnohallman

The Navy and the port are still Norfolk's lifeblood, but I suspect you'd find it much better than the last time you were there, though there are certainly still some rough sections of town. The area down by Lambert's Point (the old N&W coaling terminal) is pretty decent - there's even a little municipal park where you can phtograph from, although it's not well advertised. The downtown area has been somwhat revitalized - especially with a big upscale shopping center calld the Macarthur Center, which is served by the light rail system. The fact that VA congressman were so effective over the past couple of decades in pulling the Navy out of other cities (like Philadelphia, which was home to the most efficiently run naval shipyard in the country - but it was closed anyway and operations transferred to Norfolk thanks to Congress) has certainly benefitted Norfolk.

On the downside, Norfolk is also the headquarters for PETA.

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
jnohallman

Well, its about a month in and so far light rail in Norfolk (The Tide) has been a huge success. There was a report in the local papers yesterday that ridership, which had been projected to average 2700 a day, has in fact been averaging closer to 4500 a day. There is already discussion about extending the route from its current terminus near Eastern Virginia Medical School to reach Old Dominion University and the Norfolk Navy Yard. Also, it was just announced that Wi-Fi service is now available on all Tide trains.

Jon