Old 01-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Default iPhoto

Which RP contributers use iPhoto? Does it support RAW? If not, is there a way to allow it to support RAW? Also, I'm currently not using iPhoto because I'm not all that impressed with all the folders and sub folders it seems to tuck images away in? I'm also not sure if iPhoto compresses or modifies images at all automatically when imported? My current way of orgazizing photos in my own folders and sub folders seems to be getting tedious and is making it hard to find photos I'm looking for as my photo count continues to increase.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas?
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I regularly use iPhoto on a Leopard platform and it supports raw, although since raw is camera specific it does depend on updates. I recently acquired a D90 and iPhoto supports the relatively new D90 raw. I find iPhoto very useful for quickly reviewing a days shooting after I get back to my hotel in the evening. It sorts through the jpegs and raw images seamlessly, as well as providing a backup for the memory card.

I might add the iPhoto and Aperature work well together, but transfering files from iPhoto to Photoshop is a pain.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
jdirelan87

It depends on what editing program you use. As was already mentioned, iPhoto doesn't work very well with Photoshop. If you go the PS route, best just to use Bridge (although bridge can be very annoying in its own right). Also, don't forget that iPhoto is a very bare bones program aimed at people taking pictures of their kids, as such what you can do with it is very limited.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
JimThias

I this thread for Johns only?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Filing

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Also, I'm currently not using iPhoto because I'm not all that impressed with all the folders and sub folders it seems to tuck images away in?.......My current way of orgazizing photos in my own folders and sub folders seems to be getting tedious and is making it hard to find photos I'm looking for as my photo count continues to increase.
This is an interesting issue. Over the years I built up a primitive but reasonably effective filing system on my hard drive(s), with a reasonable about of backup. Now along comes iPhoto, Aperature, Photoshop, ad naseum, with their own magical solutions to your filing system needs. I have two problems with this. One, I'm still trying to figure out how the various sytems work and inter-relate. Simplicity and intuitive design don't seem to be well understood by the designers, ie, isn't idiot proof, a shortcoming that is always a problem for me. And then there is the problem of integrating this new stuff into the old.

In a way it was easier just have a light table, a bunch of carousels, and the metal boxes to store the left over slides in.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
It depends on what editing program you use. As was already mentioned, iPhoto doesn't work very well with Photoshop. If you go the PS route, best just to use Bridge (although bridge can be very annoying in its own right). Also, don't forget that iPhoto is a very bare bones program aimed at people taking pictures of their kids, as such what you can do with it is very limited.
Well I do use PS and was only going to use iPhoto for organizing my photos not to edit them. I'm trying to find existing ways to better organize my photos.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
jdirelan87

Quote:
Well I do use PS and was only going to use iPhoto for organizing my photos not to edit them. I'm trying to find existing ways to better organize my photos.
The only problem with organizing in iPhoto is that your efforts are only recognized within iPhoto. If one day you decide to switch to another program, you're back to square one.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
The only problem with organizing in iPhoto is that your efforts are only recognized within iPhoto. If one day you decide to switch to another program, you're back to square one.
Yeah that is part of the issue holding me back. I'm also scared because of the horror stories I've read about where people lose entire libraries of images after doing an update or upgrade to a new version of the software. Of course I would have a backup but it's still scary to think about losing files. I'm just not sure how I can continue to have the easy access I desire in my photo organization as my photo count continues to increase. The thing I like about iPhoto is how you can easily name things and organize them and see them visually in front of you with the thumbnails.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I run I photo but need to get i life 09 so the new raw for the Canon 50 D will work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
I run I photo but need to get i life 09 so the new raw for the Canon 50 D will work.
I have iPhoto 08 and it works fine with my D90 raw, and the 2.3 update for the D90 was the same update that included the 50D. So maybe it is just a matter of getting the lastest updates.

But if you are running an older version of iPhoto, or using an OS other than 10.5, then all bets are off.

Copied this from an Apple website listing raw converters for their products:

Products Affected
Mac OS X 10.5, Aperture, iPhoto

Supported by Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.4

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon PowerShot G10
Pentax K2000/K-m
Leaf AFi-II 6
Leaf AFi-II 7
Leaf Aptus-II 6
Leaf Aptus-II 7
Leica M8.2

Supported by Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.3

Canon EOS 50D
Nikon Coolpix P6000
Nikon D90
Sony DSLR-A900
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I can't upgrade to 09 since I'm only running OSX 10.4.11.

If I upgrade to OSX 10.5 I won't be able to run PS CS any longer...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

This is the kind of crap that makes it complicated. I'm running CS2 and OS 10.3.9 on my desk top whose processor is too slow to allow me to upgrade to OS10.5 (I never got around to 10.4). And of course CS2 won't run on anything higher than 10.4. I like CS2 and have no interest in giving Adobe more money for a newer version, much less investing in the hardware necessary to support it. But I initially was frustrated because CS2 could not convert the raw files on my new D90 (it handles my D40 just fine).

On the other hand I have a nice new MPB with OS10.5 (Leopard) and all the neat new stuff that gets bundled with it. And I invested in both Aperature and PSE 6 (the combined cost of which is far less than any new version of Photoshop CS). It handles all the D90 stuff just fine.

A friend who is in the computer graphics business made a very helpful observation. Where I really need CS2 and all the stuff it will do is for my scanned slides. All the formats and work flow for that works very nicely on my old desk top with its "ancient" OS and software.

The pix coming out of the D90 need little tweaking most of the time. CS2 is overkill for them, and either Aperature or PSE is more than enough to make the relatively modest adjustments those pix need.

So basically I have two different sets of hardware, software and work flow, one for scanned pictures and one for digital images.

That works for now. Who knows about tomorrow.

Last edited by John West; 01-19-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
I have iPhoto 08 and it works fine with my D90 raw,Canon EOS 50D
My Mac store in town pulled all the 08 off the shelf, 09 maybe in now( its not yet) i just have to go get it.

Last edited by milwman; 01-20-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Thats what i have 10.4.11 I will have to go down and talk to the tek before i buy, Cant blow cash to fast as i don't work much in the winter but Leopard would be nice with the auto back up.
I photo raw works great till you try it with low light, i hope the new one works better. EDIT I will have to get both Leopard and Ilife 09 oh well.

Last edited by milwman; 01-20-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Mac OS 10.5.6
Aperture 2.1.2
PS CS 8
Newer Technology 750gb mirror external hard drive.

I feel covered.

From Aperture, going to PS is painless.

Aperture has much more powerful filing and search options compared to what I was doing on my own. The Adjustments tool is my favorite since it is easy and it makes me look like Steinheimer. However I'm still very much on a learning curve. I wish I could get good instruction on it. (I also wish my brain was faster, but heck you can't have everything.) Any web/book/course recommendations from you guys?

John West, what about going to PS Elements?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
This is the kind of crap that makes it complicated. I'm running CS2 and OS 10.3.9 on my desk top whose processor is too slow to allow me to upgrade to OS10.5 (I never got around to 10.4). And of course CS2 won't run on anything higher than 10.4. I like CS2 and have no interest in giving Adobe more money for a newer version, much less investing in the hardware necessary to support it.
Don't feel bad, John...I still have a G3 with OS 9.4 on it because the 2-track music editing program that I use for one of my jobs was never upgraded to be used on OSX. And being the stubborn fart that I am, I refuse to spend more money on a newer program when this old program still works perfectly for me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Don't feel bad, John...I still have a G3 with OS 9.4 on it because the 2-track music editing program that I use for one of my jobs was never upgraded to be used on OSX. And being the stubborn fart that I am, I refuse to spend more money on a newer program when this old program still works perfectly for me.
I ran OS 9 for a long time, worked fine for me. I had to upgrade to OSX for CS2, but maintained OS 9 on my machine because the OS 9 driver ran my Epson printer far better than the OSX driver. I would still have OS 9 for the printer except I upgraded my video card to run a digital screen and the new video card did not like OS 9.

My wife still has her G3 although she only uses it as a table top now....the Mac mini does all the work.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
From Aperture, going to PS is painless.

Aperture has much more powerful filing and search options compared to what I was doing on my own. The Adjustments tool is my favorite since it is easy and it makes me look like Steinheimer. However I'm still very much on a learning curve. I wish I could get good instruction on it. (I also wish my brain was faster, but heck you can't have everything.) Any web/book/course recommendations from you guys?

John West, what about going to PS Elements?
If I ever buy another Photoshop version I can guarantee you it will be Elements not an expensive CS version. Having been burned once by Adobe, I don't plan to let them do it to me again. As much as I like CS2 the fact is PSE can do about everything I need, especially with digital originals which come out of the camera looking pretty good. Where CS2 comes in handy is with the scanned slides, some of which are old and faded and in general need a lot more post processing. CS2's color correction tools are a whole bunch better.

When I got my new MBP I got PSE for it. But as my dissatisfaction with Adobe grew, I purchased Aperature as well. My guess is if I ever figure out how to use Aperature it will be ideal for most photo stuff I do. But like you I am on a steep learning curve and moving slowly.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #19
Dennis A. Livesey

John

This website has been helpful to me and Aperture. The 5 simple rules work for me!

http://www.bagelturf.com/aparticles/...mple/index.php

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
My wife still has her G3 although she only uses it as a table top now....the Mac mini does all the work.
You use your mini for photo processing? I have two and they both are VERY slow when it comes to anything graphics related.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #21
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
You use your mini for photo processing? I have two and they both are VERY slow when it comes to anything graphics related.
No, my wife uses a Mac mini for playing solitaire and checking her email. I use an old 733 mhz G4 for photo processing. It works fine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
John

This website has been helpful to me and Aperture. The 5 simple rules work for me!

http://www.bagelturf.com/aparticles/...mple/index.php
I quickly checked it out and it looks quite interesting. Thanks.

Last edited by John West; 01-20-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

It doesn't make sense that Aperture 2 is compatible with Tiger but you need Leopoard to run iPhoto 09?

How much sense does that make?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #23
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
It doesn't make sense that Aperture 2 is compatible with Tiger but you need Leopoard to run iPhoto 09?

How much sense does that make?
If you have Aperture, as best as I can tell you don't really need iPhoto. I think Aperture will do everything iPhoto will do in terms of sorting and filing, plus provide much more sophisticated post processing capability.

Does any of this make sense? That is probably similar to trying to understand yield management with an airline, combined with some interesting technical issues. Between Microsoft going with Vista and Apple switching from AMD to Intel processors, we seem to be going through a period of rapid technological change and obsolescence. And of course we the consumers are stuck with paying the price.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 AM   #24
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I'm looking for RAW support for my XSi and I don't currently have that with my version of iPhoto (6). I don't have Aperture either.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:

If I upgrade to OSX 10.5 I won't be able to run PS CS any longer...
Are you sure you cant? i have and can still run PS E2 on my 10.4.11 it just taps my OS9 that came off my G3 laptop. Maybe you can if you have transferred all the programs off your older computers you just maybe abel to.