Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #26
Ron Flanary

Mitch, actually your analogy isn't quite right. We're not customers of RP in the restaurant example you cited. We're the food supply firm that brings the groceries to the back. RP exists solely on the strength of its contributors. It's a strange relationship, too---because it's really the world turned upside down. RP should be appealing to good photographers for great photos. Clearly it doesn't work that way, and very often good photographers are turned away for dubious reasons.

Sorry...but as often as I agree with you, that example didn't resonate with me.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #27
Mgoldman

OK - Ron, there are two ways to look at it.

We are the food suppliers and they can get any quality of food they want. True.

I was more focused on your other statement: "RP should be appealing to good photographers for great photos."

The best way to do THAT is to examine why so many great photographers not only have left, but to try and find A) How to get them back and B) How to keep them happy. In that respect - you fix the problem with the flies in the soup. In other words, where a restaurant manager might say: "What can I do to draw customers into my restaurant, back into my restaurant and keep 'em coming back", RP should be doing the same. "What can I do to draw good to great photographers to my site, keep 'em coming back and recover the one's I've lost". Customers pay with cash. Higher quality images (brands, you might say) pay in page counts.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
The best way to do THAT is to examine why so many great photographers not only have left, but to try and find A) How to get them back and B) How to keep them happy. In that respect - you fix the problem with the flies in the soup. In other words, where a restaurant manager might say: "What can I do to draw customers into my restaurant, back into my restaurant and keep 'em coming back", RP should be doing the same. "What can I do to draw good to great photographers to my site, keep 'em coming back and recover the one's I've lost". Customers pay with cash. Higher quality images (brands, you might say) pay in page counts.

/Mitch
You know I'm in complete agreement. Many of us have thrown around variants on how RP.net could do that (particularly me)---but obviously the site owners aren't interested (at least in implementing any of those particular ideas).

I have no financial stake in the site, so from a business standpoint, it doesn't really matter to me. However, I have invested a lot of my time in scanning images and posting them for 12 years now---entirely as a hobby activity. If fact, a LOT of us have done that same thing. We've supplied a LOT of "product" to RP.net, without any expectation of reward, except some mythical PCA, Screener's Choice or something else that might feed our egos, but in reality is the equivalent of the "Attaboy" Award.

I would hate to see my efforts as one of the many "food suppliers" go up in the digital version of smoke, so it would be my strong preference to see RP.net grow and thrive. But, it may also be that the owners know a lot more about the business side of the internet business than me, so I'll defer to their judgement. After all, they launched the site a long time ago without my help or expertise. I'm only looking at it through the eyes of a veteran photographer, so I tend to consider that particular viewpoint.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote