Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Why is Casey NS with Caterpillar?

Any thoughts as to why Casey would shoot and post photos of the Caterpillar with photo credit as NS Corp?

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 413260
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 413259
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

Is NS connected to this engine, it's paint scheme or ownership in some way? Or maybe Casey's simply documenting events on NS ROW? Or just wants to more easily get past a screener, lol?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
jnohallman

My guess would be that if the photos are posted as NS Corp, it's because NS told him to shoot the photos - that is, he was doing it on company time as opposed to his own. If that's the case, you'd have to ask NS corporate what the connection is.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
JimThias

It's on NS rails, no?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It's on NS rails, no?
So every time Casey shoots an NS train or any train on NS trackage he has to post as NS Corp???

Just thought it was odd.

/Mitch
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
CSX1702

It seems like EMD and NS have some sort of agreement when it comes to running these demonstrators. And being a "special" unit, I guess NS wanted Casey to snap a few pictures, possibly for a calendar?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
So every time Casey shoots an NS train or any train on NS trackage he has to post as NS Corp???

Just thought it was odd.
The way I see it, it's a special equipment (new, uniquely themed locomotive) move on NS rails, so it seems logical that they'd send their company photographer to grab shots of it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Anyone else think his night time stuff seems a little dark lately? Not sure the colors are as vivid as they should be either.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Anyone else think his night time stuff seems a little dark lately? Not sure the colors are as vivid as they should be either.
He's probably only using 3 or 4 flashes, where we're used to garry knapp types using 9-10

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 10-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
He's trying to do a whole lot with the number of flahes he has. I think sometimes the scene is just too large to be properly illuminated.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
oltmannd

Default Both supplier and customer

Caterpillar is both a customer and a supplier - both represented here. Seems like a pretty natural thing for some good corp. photos. Useful for both NS and Caterpillar.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
nikos1

It wasnt just a coincidence that the CAT unit was leading 055, it was cooperation between NS and CAT and NS wanted their company photog to get some photos of the special movement, I dont see whats so unusual about it. Casey followed it for 2 days straight, I'm sure partly for company purposes and partly because it was just an awesome train.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
KevinM

I think Jon nailed the answer to Mitch's question. I suspect that Casey has to post as Norfolk Southern whenever he is shooting on company time....and that makes sense. It's the cleanest way to break out his personal work from his company job.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
He's trying to do a whole lot with the number of flahes he has. I think sometimes the scene is just too large to be properly illuminated.

Loyd L.
Frankly speaking, Loyd has it spot on.

Casey tries to shoot outside the bounds of the equipment he has, but allot of guys doing this stuff are guilty of that, myself included, so it's not surprising.

The vast majority of his flash photos are really flat IMO. He had a couple at Natural Tunnel that were decent, but most of the time, it seems like he's trying to light more real estate than his gear is capable of.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
Frankly speaking, Loyd has it spot on.

Casey tries to shoot outside the bounds of the equipment he has, but allot of guys doing this stuff are guilty of that, myself included, so it's not surprising.

The vast majority of his flash photos are really flat IMO. He had a couple at Natural Tunnel that were decent, but most of the time, it seems like he's trying to light more real estate than his gear is capable of.
He's only using 3 strobes which explains his limited ability to place light on the subject. They throw a lot of light but it's much more difficult to control. Compared to Hoydie who has 20 or so different sources to aim. I agree that some of his recent photos appear dark. That's easy to fix in photoshop. His biggest problem is he likes to edit and upload in his truck while waiting for the next train. Not exactly ideal monitor conditions.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
He's only using 3 strobes which explains his limited ability to place light on the subject. They throw a lot of light but it's much more difficult to control. Compared to Hoydie who has 20 or so different sources to aim. I agree that some of his recent photos appear dark. That's easy to fix in photoshop. His biggest problem is he likes to edit and upload in his truck while waiting for the next train. Not exactly ideal monitor conditions.
He's only got 3 now? He used to have 4, did one of them blow up on him? There's a couple of guys out there that are using those big AB's and older Lumedynes...

I've never been a fan of them, because like you just said, there's just so little flexibility in terms of composition with them, and you need to drag a power supply out with you that can support them. Gary showed me years ago that you could do these with simple AA batteries, sure it takes allot of them, but they're considerably more portable.

Agree about the "mobile processing" approach. These photos take too much time to produce to cut corners in post for the sake of getting it posted faster, I'd rather put a top notch product out a few days after shooting it, than to put a so-so product out there 20 minutes later.

But, just one man's opinion... and not necessarily a popular one.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #16
s291311

I usually have 4 Alien Bees with me, and 4 Vagabond Mini Lithium batteries to power them, but most of the time, I only use two or three for a quick scene setup. Sure, I could drag all the Nikon shoe-mount flashes out and spend an hour or two setting them up, but I cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time, and don't really have the time to do all that. The shot of 055 crossing Tenbridge was set up in 5 minutes, using only two Alien Bees with long-throw dishes. I hadn't planned to take that shot, but when I got into town and saw I was ahead of the train, I made the quick effort. I don't think the Knapp/Hoyden method would have gotten a shot of that train on that bridge, since the smaller flashes don't have the "reach" that you can get with the Bees. Also wouldn't have had time to do Nemo Tunnel and Tenbridge. And yes, it was an NS assignment to document the move. We commonly have a need for images showing how NS moves "big things", and this train fit the bill quite well. Finally, if anyone has issues with anything we post from NS, remember that less than a year ago, we were not even sharing corporate images to railfan sites. This is something I have been able to bring to life for the simple pleasure of the railfans. We could always resort to keeping our corporate images to ourselves and our customers. Keep in mind, too, that many of the consists you see, especially if I am around, probably would not have been arranged like that if I hadn't been there to help make the arrangements.

Casey
s291311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #17
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s291311 View Post
Finally, if anyone has issues with anything we post from NS, remember that less than a year ago, we were not even sharing corporate images to railfan sites. This is something I have been able to bring to life for the simple pleasure of the railfans. We could always resort to keeping our corporate images to ourselves and our customers. Keep in mind, too, that many of the consists you see, especially if I am around, probably would not have been arranged like that if I hadn't been there to help make the arrangements.
My only issue is that you could really do a better job of representing your company by taking the time to correctly process every image. There's no point in cutting corners and having the shot up within 20 minutes of taking it, unless that's what your bosses are telling you to do. If that's the case...

Nevermind the rest of what I was going to say...

Last edited by WMHeilman; 10-30-2012 at 04:01 AM.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
s291311

Normally, I shoot so much in a day that I don't have any time to process anything. If I shoot something I personally like and decide to share it with the world, I either do it soon, or it'll get lost in the piles of other normal work that I have to do. Also, the majority of my shots are pretty much straight off the camera with the addition of the logo and resizing. I prefer to shoot it as close to correct to begin with and not have to do any "post processing". That goes back to my roots of shooting film, which I began doing back around 1982.
s291311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
MagnumForce

Your stuff is fine, you don't cross the line into some of the really bad post processing I see from some of the guys most known for night photography and you don't cross into candyland on your daytime stuff either.

Before digital this stuff would wholly acceptable and no one would have said boo, but now because every Tom, Dick and Harry has a DSLR and Photoshop we feel the need to oversaturate everything and play with the shadows and highlights tool way too much.

A lot of guys just need their ego stroked because you get paid to do this and they don't.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 10-30-2012 at 04:22 AM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Mgoldman

Thanks Casey!

I was just curious - typing out loud, if you will. Not seeing the NS connection, I was wondering why you were continuing credit NS for what I thought was legitimately your work off the company clock.

The straightforward all bases covered follow up that went along was impressive and welcome. So rarely it seems anyone stays on track in these forums and then further takes the time to answer issues so concisely without cherry picking. Refreshing - and insightful, why I started coming to the forums in the first place.

/Mitch
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
............... I'd rather put a top notch product out a few days after shooting it, than to put a so-so product out there 20 minutes later.
I think if there is any conclusion that can be drawn from NS coming onto RP, it is that over all photographic quality is not a priority.

Which is interesting because it perhaps sends an unintended message.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s291311 View Post
I usually have 4 Alien Bees with me, and 4 Vagabond Mini Lithium batteries to power them, but most of the time, I only use two or three for a quick scene setup. Sure, I could drag all the Nikon shoe-mount flashes out and spend an hour or two setting them up, but I cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time, and don't really have the time to do all that. The shot of 055 crossing Tenbridge was set up in 5 minutes, using only two Alien Bees with long-throw dishes. I hadn't planned to take that shot, but when I got into town and saw I was ahead of the train, I made the quick effort. I don't think the Knapp/Hoyden method would have gotten a shot of that train on that bridge, since the smaller flashes don't have the "reach" that you can get with the Bees. Also wouldn't have had time to do Nemo Tunnel and Tenbridge. And yes, it was an NS assignment to document the move. We commonly have a need for images showing how NS moves "big things", and this train fit the bill quite well. Finally, if anyone has issues with anything we post from NS, remember that less than a year ago, we were not even sharing corporate images to railfan sites. This is something I have been able to bring to life for the simple pleasure of the railfans. We could always resort to keeping our corporate images to ourselves and our customers. Keep in mind, too, that many of the consists you see, especially if I am around, probably would not have been arranged like that if I hadn't been there to help make the arrangements.

Casey
On the contrary, I've successfully illuminated a bridge from over 300 feet away only a few weeks ago with my setup. No way the 1201 shot above is more than 200. Loyd Lowry and I also illuminated another bridge on the C&O from over 200 feet with my equipment.

Gary Knapp has managed to illuminate bridges from over 150 feet as well.

I can appreciate that the ABs have allot of intensity and the guide numbers translate into remarkable throw, but they are far from the only tool that can do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS6721_KesslerBridge_WV.jpg (608.0 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by hoydie17; 10-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Loyd Lowry and I also illuminated another bridge on the C&O from over 200 feet with my equipment.
246 feet of distance on the North end of the bridge, 430 feet on the South end. I was bored one day and measured.

So yes, those little flashes have some reach out and touch somebody to them.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
A lot of guys just need their ego stroked because you get paid to do this and they don't.
The internet is full of amateur psychologists with additional ability to see inside people's minds. Why, oh why, did I never develop this skill? Where did things go wrong for me (in this dimension)? Why can' I ever see into someone's (internet) eyes and read their souls?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
246 feet of distance on the North end of the bridge, 430 feet on the South end. I was bored one day and measured.

So yes, those little flashes have some reach out and touch somebody to them.

Loyd L.
Didn't realize it was that far to the South end... I'm more impressed now than I was then... holy schnikees...