Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Wesley Greer

Default What?

I posted this picture here before and after screwing around with it, I resubmitted it. Twice. Here are the results:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...93&key=7980893

After cropping it a little to make it more level I submitted it again:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...03&key=3961138

Of note, the first and second pictures have almost the same JPEG compression. Any suggestions?
Wesley Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Um......

You didn't fix the distinct lean to the right.

Do that, and see what happens.

I would also back out the cropping, it is too tight.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Greer View Post
After cropping it a little to make it more level I submitted it again:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...03&key=3961138
Cropping will not level a photo; you actually have to rotate the image. I went about 1.15 CCW with it to make it level.

As HG stated, you might want to go a little wider so the cropping doesn't feel cramped on the left side.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

The easiest way to tell when this photo is leveled, make sure the sides of the lead unit are flushed with the sides of the photo frame.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan View Post
The easiest way to tell when this photo is leveled, make sure the sides of the lead unit are flushed with the sides of the photo frame.
Looks like Jesse could have used your advice:

Image © Jesse B
PhotoID: 429179
Photograph © Jesse B

Don't know how the screener misses that one.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Looks like Jesse could have used your advice:

Image © Jesse B
PhotoID: 429179
Photograph © Jesse B

Don't know how the screener misses that one.
I would have missed it. The quality of the shot overrules it being unlevel by some trifling degree (even if it is; track of this quality is notoriously out of cross-level).
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Cropping will not level a photo; you actually have to rotate the image. I went about 1.15 CCW with it to make it level.

As HG stated, you might want to go a little wider so the cropping doesn't feel cramped on the left side.
I agree with Jim on this one. The crop is too tight---an ultra tele-smash on steroids that's really just a train out in the middle of nowhere. For that reason, the lean to the right is very obvious (even to me!). If the train was far back in the frame, the leveling issue wouldn't be quite so obvious.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
Mgoldman

It was in fact rotated. Consequently, there were white corners requiring a recrop.

It would seem the screener was willing to accept the fix so the question asked yet unanswered was about the current rejection being compression and artifacts.

Like Jesse's pic - I'll agree with Ron - too subtle for me to notice and I tend to be a perfectionist.

Funny - Ron, I was about to say, if you can make it level, even if it is nearly imperceptible, you should. It does not matter if the image is good enough if it can be made even better. However, given the location of the scene, I agree with you here. I don't have to tilt my head to view it and didn't think twice seeing it.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Mgoldman

As for Wesley's shot - it does look a pubic hair "off" but more like "I wish I had a better camera" or "once day I'll buy an ED or L lens" then bad editing. Maybe the resolution did not hold up after the crop - but I've seen MUCH worse on this site in terms of noise.

Great composition, Wesley - though I will agree, a little less tight would be more appealing. Maybe you can selectively clean up the sky - easy to reduce noise levels there and the rest might float through.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #10
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Funny - Ron, I was about to say, if you can make it level, even if it is nearly imperceptible, you should. It does not matter if the image is good enough if it can be made even better.

/Mitch
I do that very thing. I might think a rotation of less than 1 degree is nit-picking, but rather that have it rejected for that reason, I make every effort to straighten it up. In fact, I would say three fourths or more of my shots require leveling---again, an issue that really didn't exist with old fashioned slide photography. A degree or two this way or that really didn't matter that much.

For the same reason, I try to make sure the uploaded image is sharp (but not too sharp). I reduce noise and/or grain (for my older scanned slides), particularly in the sky area. And---I make sure it's a pleasing and well-balanced crop (although I was rejected not long ago for "bad cropping"---which is shown below). I didn't make a big deal of it---but I was happy with the crop as submitted, so I wasn't about to change it to meet RP.net's views (I'm kind of hard-headed that way; having a shot accepted isn't that important to me, particularly if I like it the way it is). It was entirely subjective in that case. And---it didn't upset me at all that it was rejected. I uploaded a more conventional version taken at the same location, and--of course--it was accepted. The main subject in the rejected shot wasn't the train, but the signal.

Here it is:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1516608s.jpg (138.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Like Jesse's pic - I'll agree with Ron - too subtle for me to notice and I tend to be a perfectionist.
Well then, I must be an ultra-perfectionist.

Wouldn't have taken more than a few seconds to level that shot before uploading. I guess I'll never understand....

Mitch, this is a perfect example of the screener inconsistency you are always complaining about it.

Last edited by JimThias; 03-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking I am not usually anal, but in this case.....

Off "by a pubic hair?"

That thing is so crooked by beer would slide off of it - and not just Thias crooked, it leans.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote