Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default FEC going to GE road fleet

I've refrained from posting anything on this topic, because it has been so rife with rumor and hearsay. But with an official release, I believe this one is coming to pass:

http://www.railresource.com/content/?p=7144

Note these are C4s, not the dual-fuel LNGs which have been discussed. GE has had little success attracting orders for this model (the middle axle on each truck is not powered), and they are Tier III, which will be obsolete for new locomotives at the end of this year. That adds up to "fire sale" in some minds.

Either way, looks like 2014 will be a year of big change for the FEC.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
J

Default C4's

While not widely operated, BNSF has something like 600 of these on order / in service. As with their large initial order of SD70MAC's perhaps other carriers are looking at how these units work out (reliability of the 4 raction motors and center axle mechanism / wheel wear) before purchasing.

These 4-motor units make sense for FEC which would have little need for modern 6-motor units on their essentially-flat railroad.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
xBNSFer

This was a model developed at the behest of BNSF, in order to get a reduced cost AC traction unit for non-coal service (primarily intermodal) where AC traction 6 axles are unnecessary overkill. FEC has long ordered units using specifications of larger roads in order to keep their prices down, and being a pretty flat operation the A-1-A arranged AC traction engines were a perfect fit.

As for GE having "little success" with this product, BNSF bought (between ES44C4s and ET44C4s) a total of 1,465 units so far - you can count on the ET44C4 to be the lion's share of future orders too. It's one of the main reasons GE's new factory capacity was built in Fort Worth, TX. So much for the "little success" GE has attracting orders for this model.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

Yeah, just a bit can change over a few years, but BNSF is still the only Class 1 enamored with this traction motor arrangement. A friend in the shop at Topeka calls them the "clown wheel" configuration...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
This was a model developed at the behest of BNSF, in order to get a reduced cost AC traction unit for non-coal service (primarily intermodal) where AC traction 6 axles are unnecessary overkill. FEC has long ordered units using specifications of larger roads in order to keep their prices down, and being a pretty flat operation the A-1-A arranged AC traction engines were a perfect fit.

As for GE having "little success" with this product, BNSF bought (between ES44C4s and ET44C4s) a total of 1,465 units so far - you can count on the ET44C4 to be the lion's share of future orders too. It's one of the main reasons GE's new factory capacity was built in Fort Worth, TX. So much for the "little success" GE has attracting orders for this model.
Someone should explain to the Power Desk what they are for...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

Several NS crews on the branches off the pokey and Clinch valley last year quickly discovered what they weren't good for..

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Someone should explain to the Power Desk what they are for...
Yeah unfortunately the Power Desk often uses a "hp/ton" application without consideration of such "other" factors.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
troy12n

They are not very popular with the crews that get them on heavy trains...

I never understood how much money could really be saved just be eliminating a traction motor... makes no sense to me