Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default Comparing acceptions and rejections..

After spending the afternoon on the Wilmington & Western in Delaware, I took a few 'glint' shots as the sun was setting. I had this photo rejected for the infamous "Bad Motive":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=181055

I was wondering if anyone or the screeners could tell me the reasons (other than name) why my shot got rejected and these accepted?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=119237

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123747

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123554

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124249

Thanks for any help.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 11-04-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

If I were to compare yours against the three examples you gave, I would never reject yours and accept the first one. The second one shows a little more lighted subject than yours. The third, I don't know, I like yours better. I don't see much of a problem with yours from a glint perspective, although the top left corner may be too dark. It could be that part of the engine is cut off, too.

Anyway, since this is a subjective reason for rejection, there really is no telling. There will always be exceptions to a reason like this, both where you think one that should be rejected is accepted, and one you think should be accepted is rejected.

Have you tried to appeal it? That would probably help.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 11-04-2005 at 10:20 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Although I have appealed a shot or two before by comparing it to others that are in the database, I'm not sure that's the best way to go. For starters, it's apple to oranges comparing your shots to these. With that said, the only one of the three I think are worthy is the first one. But that's just myopinion. In your shot, I wonder if it would look better and more artistic in blackand white.

Joe
Old 11-04-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Thanks for the insight guys and Im glad to hear that someone would have accepted mine. I think the crew silhoutted also adds to the photo as well as the 'old-style' light pole. I cut out the top of the engine because as you can tell its horribly shadowed. I appealed the shot both times it got rejected (totalling 4 rejections). In the appeals I haven't compared it to another shot.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
LAHDPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
In the appeals I haven't compared it to another shot.
That's probably a very smart move.

There's really no sense in publicly questioning a Bad Motive reject, IMHO. In the description of the Bad Motive reject, it says something like {paraphrased},"...just not the kind of material we wish to publish on the site." Besides the internal appeal process, via other screeners, how can you question that? They just don't wish to publish it. It doesn't mean it's not as good as other stuff they've published. It doesn't mean it's a bad shot. It just means they don't want that one.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Donna

I personally like the shot. I have seen lots of photos that were accepted that should have been "Bad Motive". Just my opinion.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

I really dont see the motive here in comapring the shots you picked out. Yes, your shot is a glint shot, The second shot that you compare it to (mine) is a FOG shot taken in the Early morning...no glint there. The Third shot (also mine) is a tight, detail shot of the nose of a locomotive, taken in good direct light...no glint there either..so, whats the point here?

You would do better by asking constructive questions, instead of randomly pulling out shots from the DB that really have nothing to do with your rejection. If it was rejected, and you did not get the appeal, then thats it.. Why did you feel the need to upload (you said a total of 4 times?) if no changes where made to the image. If something is rejected, and you do not win appeal, then thats it, unless you can make noticable changes to the image before you upload again...its not that hard to grasp really.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 AM   #8
RJSorensen

Be careful out there folks . . . LOL.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson

I am suprised that last one got in! Just MO! :P

I got some good snow shots rejected for bad light. I found it strange that other shots all day got accepted ahead of mine and then finally a simple rejection.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I was wondering if anyone or the screeners could tell me the reasons (other than name) why my shot got rejected and these accepted?
They were accepted and that is all that matters. This may be a question that one of the admins could ask of the screener. In my opinion of Andrew's shot, the contrast is too much. It was a difficult picture to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHDPOP
There's really no sense in publicly questioning a Bad Motive reject, IMHO. In the description of the Bad Motive reject, it says something like {paraphrased},"...just not the kind of material we wish to publish on the site." Besides the internal appeal process, via other screeners, how can you question that? They just don't wish to publish it. It doesn't mean it's not as good as other stuff they've published. It doesn't mean it's a bad shot. It just means they don't want that one.
I agree with the not publicly questioning a rejection for bad motive; if you want folks to see it, include it in a thread in the Railfan Trip section.

But, like other rejection reasons I have appealled bad motive rejects. Not often, but once or twice. Until warned differently, I don't see bad motive as the final word. It does make me reflect on the motive and aesthetics of the photo before appealling it. Bad motive is just as much a personal view as bad angle. I think I must have had a successful appeal for nearly every rejection.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
SamD

I can't believe your shot got rejected, at least for bad motive. I'm in love with the composition and subject... and I don't usually go for steam!

You need to appeal!
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 AM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Thanks Sam! Your comments are the reason I posted the reject in the forum. Like my second post said I appealed twice with no luck. It's just another artistic shot for my PC. Glad to hear you liked it!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
ddavies

The crew members do not stand out, I never noticed the two on the engine the first time. A really outstanding glint shot is hard to do. If you can find glint shots in the db, then try again. If you can not, then don't bother entering any.

I had tried to enter an silhoutte image that had been an award winner some years ago, but was rejected.

Unfortunately, good artistic pics aren't what gets hits here, wrecks do.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavies
The crew members do not stand out, I never noticed the two on the engine the first time. A really outstanding glint shot is hard to do. If you can find glint shots in the db, then try again. If you can not, then don't bother entering any.
A soft light works the best. And a different angle. This pic seems blown out - I too never saw any crew member in the cab.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote