Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Strasburg_fan

Default This Photo Was Rejected- At First...

I submitted this photo back in September and it was rejected for not having enough light on the nose of the subject. I resubmitted it a few days ago and, well, whaddya know? Any comments/ opinions on the photo?

RailPictures.net Photo ID: 125479

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-19-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Strasburg_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

my only comment is that I would be careful about re-submitting a photo that was rejected without making in changes to it to correct the problem (and them brag about it) If it was rejected 0nce, and you didnt fix it..then why did you send it again. It got in, so good for you I guess (it still looks dark to me), but still, thats not the way we do things around here.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns

Last edited by E.M. Bell; 11-19-2005 at 12:36 AM.
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Donna

It looks fine to me. Not much you can do with black anyway.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
Strasburg_fan

Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M. Bell
my only comment is that I would be careful about re-submitting a photo that was rejected without making in changes to it to correct the problem (and them brag about it)
First off, I was not bragging. That was a personal judgement on your part. To reiterate, I wasn't so sure as to why the photo was accepted the second time, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had some thoughts on this, or comments about the quality of the photograph that may have caused this to happen. Doesn't seem like such a self-centered reason to me.

Quote:
If it was rejected 0nce, and you didnt fix it..then why did you send it again.
Maybe that was because after critiquing the photo both critically and objectively, I thought it just might have been good enough to get accepted if I simply re-submitted it? A few of the members of this forum suggested awhile ago that if I lightened the photo up, the engine would begin to look a little too grey, which is the reason I decided not to tamper with the lighting.

Quote:
It got in, so good for you I guess (it still looks dark to me), but still, thats not the way we do things around here.
Oh, so you're telling me there's an official way "we" do things around here? Geez, you're acting as if I've committed a crime, so please tone it down! Recently one of members of this forum said that if you ask nicely for opinions on a photo, then you'll get nice responses. Seems as if even when I ask nicely, I still get a disrespectful reply. Makes me wonder what I have to do just to get a courteous answer.

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-19-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg_fan
First off, I was not bragging.
Just a quick question. If you are not bragging, then why did you create a post about it's acceptance? It may not be bragging on your part, but the post comes off as bragging.

Also think of the screener's point of view. I am sure they have enough crap cluttering up the photo queue. If they have to screen photos after they have been rejected once, it wastes time and is probably annoying.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #6
ssw9662

Quote:
First off, I was not bragging
If you weren't bragging, then why did you start this thread?

Quote:
I thought it just might have been good enough to get accepted if I simply re-submitted it?
Did you appeal the rejection when the photo was originally rejected? I think if you did the appeal would have had a legitimate shot of being accepted.

Quote:
Seems as if even when I ask nicely, I still get a disrespectful reply.
Yeah, you did ask politely, but at the same time if every single person posted every photo they got accepted to the database here, then this place would be bogged down with senseless posts. If you want someone to tell you what you think about a photo, try posting it here. That site exists solely for the purpose of photo essays and critiques, and has a large critique forum for you to post your photo.

I think the shot should have been accepted the first time it was screened, but of course the screeners have different opinions (They probably think all my photos are garbage )
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:18 AM   #7
NicTrain35

Quote:
I thought it just might have been good enough to get accepted if I simply re-submitted it?
The rule is you don't re-submit photos that you haven't made corrections too. Examples are backlit, bad angle, bad motive, blurry, etc. An appeal would be the best way to go for these rejections.
Quote:
so please tone it down!
This isn't the best attitude to be using on the forums.

If I were you, I'd just let it go. You got it accepted (after a risky second try). I just don't see what good can come out of this thread. That's just my opinion.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 AM   #8
Strasburg_fan

Quote:
Just a quick question. If you are not bragging, then why did you create a post about it's acceptance? It may not be bragging on your part, but the post comes off as bragging.
Quote:
If you weren't bragging, then why did you start this thread?
I stand by what I said: "To reiterate, I wasn't so sure as to why the photo was accepted the second time, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had some thoughts on this, or comments about the quality of the photograph that may have caused this to happen. Doesn't seem like such a self-centered reason to me."

Quote:
If they have to screen photos after they have been rejected once, it wastes time and is probably annoying.
I agree, but basically the same thing happens when people appeal a photo: the screeners have to screen the same photo again.

Quote:
Did you appeal the rejection when the photo was originally rejected? I think if you did the appeal would have had a legitimate shot of being accepted.
I didn't think to appeal after the photo was originally rejected, so I just decided to re-submit it again instead when I finally remembered. Big deal.

Quote:
Yeah, you did ask politely, but at the same time if every single person posted every photo they got accepted to the database here, then this place would be bogged down with senseless posts.
If you thought my post was senseless, and that I behaved nicely, then why couldn't you respond nicely instead of coming across as being sarcastic and impolite? A simple but kind word of advice telling me that you thought my original post was wasteful would have come across far better than a harsh answer.

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-19-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #9
Strasburg_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicTrain35
The rule is you don't re-submit photos that you haven't made corrections too. Examples are backlit, bad angle, bad motive, blurry, etc. An appeal would be the best way to go for these rejections.
Again, I forgot to appeal, so I simply resubmitted the photo when I remembered. Now I know. Thanks for letting me know. However, if this is the general rule, then it ought to be posted in a place where it can be more readily accessed.

Quote:
This isn't the best attitude to be using on the forums.
I'm sorry, but the posts made in reply to mine weren't exactly friendly either. I'm trying my best to keep cool, but it can become a little difficult when people get overly harsh and critical for no reason.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd just let it go.
Believe me I want to (I don't like arguing with anyone), but I just won't stand here and let people make derrogatory posts about a simple question on my part. If no one has anything constructive to say, then let's please move on, and let this be "water under the bridge"...

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-19-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
ddavies

They accepted a steam photo where the rods weren't down?? Guess they are too used to diesels.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
Ween

Quote:
Oh, so you're telling me there's an official way "we" do things around here?
Actually, yes, especially since the person who wrote that is a screener. There have been numerous posts about not resubmitting photos that have been rejected w/o any corrections having been made to them. And those posts were posted by the admin, so I guess there is an official way "they" do things here...
Old 11-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
Strasburg_fan

Thanks for letting me know. If such behavior is considered intolerable, then I will try to avoid it in the future for the sake of abiding by the rules (even though I still can't see what the problem is)!

Last edited by Strasburg_fan; 11-19-2005 at 04:20 PM.