Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #26
raildudemel

Troy, the contest was not limited to images that had not previously been uploaded to any site on the internet. Further, only a small number of images that were entered were selected by the judges and are now shown on the CRPA site. There were many, many more that were equally good and I hope that all of these will find use in the future (book, magazine, gallery display?).

I would enjoy hearing from you which photos you enjoyed most and what you find as mundane, keeping in mind that evaluating images is very subjective and I personally don't think there is a "right" or "wrong". We all have different life experiences and I enjoy hearing what others have to say which is how I learn.
raildudemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #27
Missabefan

Is there a place to see all the images that were submitted or were there too many for that type of thing?

That first place photo. Whoa!!! Holy Schnikes!!! and Damn!!!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #28
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Second prize: WTF???
My sentiments exactly, I honestly do not even think it is a train, I don't know what it is...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #29
raildudemel

If I remember correctly, there were a total of 394 images submitted by the 86 photographers who entered. Only the images chosen by the judges were posted on the CRPA site. I wish all of the images were posted as I think this would allow for considerable discussion.
raildudemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
rino54

I'm really happy and proud to be part of the 'judge also like" section. This is a strong encouragement for me to continue my photographic research. Thanks to Mel for pushing me to participate this year.

About seeing the whole collection of pictures, I'm sure anyone will find better picture than the one selected. But it's like "replay the game" after it is done.

Renaud
Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
bigbassloyd

Quote:
The one that won, is really good.
Agreed. Wow!

Quote:
Second prize: WTF???
I was thinking the same thing. Not a fan.

Quote:
Third prize: we've seen that one before
It's a good shot, but I wouldn't consider it a creative shot.

Quote:
Other than the one that won, I think most of them are mundane compared to what they have had in the past. There's a few really nice ones though.
There were several shots in the 'other' pile that should have placed above 2nd and 3rd IMO.

Congratulations to all who were chosen. One of these days I should consider submitting.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raildudemel View Post
Troy, the contest was not limited to images that had not previously been uploaded to any site on the internet. Further, only a small number of images that were entered were selected by the judges and are now shown on the CRPA site. There were many, many more that were equally good and I hope that all of these will find use in the future (book, magazine, gallery display?).

I would enjoy hearing from you which photos you enjoyed most and what you find as mundane, keeping in mind that evaluating images is very subjective and I personally don't think there is a "right" or "wrong". We all have different life experiences and I enjoy hearing what others have to say which is how I learn.
Here's my opinion:

As I said, the one that won was great, definitely the best.

Good

There are a couple other ones that are good but not exceptional, like Dennis's steam shot

Last edited by troy12n; 09-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
troy12n
Banned

Crap

(too much photoshop, look at all the halos)
(ridiculous noise)
(this is NOT a photo)

Last edited by troy12n; 09-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
troy12n
Banned

More crap

There are a couple other ones that are good but not exceptional, like Dennis's steam shot
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
JRMDC

Troy's set of 4: nice set of representational shots; the first (stars) and third (Nanos reflection) are extremely well executed but don't fall in the bucket of "creative" that I was hoping to see. I wanted to see what I will call non-standard.

2nd place: it's an abstract, one needs to get out of the representational box to appreciate it. It appears the photographer took the top half of a (subway?) shot and reflected it to create the bottom half, and also reflected it sideways. For my tastes it is too symmetrical and has too much rectangular-ity (sic) and not enough contrasting diagonals, but it has rich (artificial?) colors.

twisted coal: looks like the results of playing around in software, not a fan

colorized "the slide": not a fan of artificial or exaggerated colorization, sorry Ben

station door: a beaut! The grain is part of the point. An image processed to be more of a painting. Well done, worthy. Reminds me of Hooper's painting "Nighthawk".

stacked diesel noses: not a fan, contrived. Would have been more interesting had it been the same engine in three different paint schemes.

It's all subjective, of course, and my contrived is someone else's interesting.

opposing steam plumes: Troy, why is that crap? It's not a "winner" in my book but I think it is fine, actually interesting, the first thought I had was "where in the world can one see opposing direction steam like that?"

pole/insulators: it looks like the elements were arranged in a pose; I can't conceive of how that is a shot of a pole in the real world. But nice abstraction and mix of color/neutral. My main complaint is little RR feel.

Travis and AB2: worthy members of the representational side of creative

Maybe more comments down the road

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
station door: a beaut! The grain is part of the point. An image processed to be more of a painting. Well done, worthy. Reminds me of Hooper's painting "Nighthawk".
To me, it's a failed, grainy night photo where the photog took it into photoshop and magnified and emphasized all it's flaws to the point where it could be considered artsy. Not a fan. And to your point about the painting, it's a PHOTO, not a painting. We can all apply silly filters in photoshop to make any photo look like a painting, is that creative?

Quote:
opposing steam plumes: Troy, why is that crap? It's not a "winner" in my book but I think it is fine, actually interesting, the first thought I had was "where in the world can one see opposing direction steam like that?"
I almost didnt include it, and maybe "crap" is too strong, but here's my point. You cant, or can barely see the locomotives. If he used a polarized filter, we could see them. He get's a A for concept, and a D for execution. My opinion, but I think it's a "wasted opportunity". Certainly with the backlighting it is a challenging shot, I just think he could have done better.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Troy's set of 4: nice set of representational shots; the first (stars) and third (Nanos reflection) are extremely well executed but don't fall in the bucket of "creative" that I was hoping to see. I wanted to see what I will call non-standard.
And that goes back to my initial point about the entries being mundane, uncreative with a couple exceptions, especially in relation to years past.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #38
JRMDC

Quote:
To me, it's a failed, grainy night photo where the photog took it into photoshop and magnified and emphasized all it's flaws to the point where it could be considered artsy. Not a fan. And to your point about the painting, it's a PHOTO, not a painting. We can all apply silly filters in photoshop to make any photo look like a painting, is that creative?
But it's beautiful, and it started out as a photograph! That sentence can apply to lots of shots on RP. That makes it qualify, for me.

Quote:
I almost didnt include it, and maybe "crap" is too strong, but here's my point. You cant, or can barely see the locomotives. If he used a polarized filter, we could see them. He get's a A for concept, and a D for execution. My opinion, but I think it's a "wasted opportunity". Certainly with the backlighting it is a challenging shot, I just think he could have done better.
Don't care about the locomotives, the plumes are the story. De-emphasizing the engines is part of the creativity. Mind you, not on my list of favorites, but I have no problem with the execution, one choice of many, yours would be another, not clear to me that yours would have been better. I would like to see more contrast, fr sure, but not because I might then see the engines better.

Quote:
Good
Quote:
And that goes back to my initial point about the entries being mundane, uncreative with a couple exceptions, especially in relation to years past.
those two separate posts differ in tone, which confused me. For one, I draw a difference between "good but not exceptional" and "mundane".

Comparing to the 2012, I would say that this year's have lots of non-representational shots, clearly a break to 2012, and a number of those are well done creatives. Mind you, the line between representation and not is broad, ill-defined, and idiosyncratic. I'd probably sort them differently tomorrow. I might say that this year's representationals seem a bit more creative than last year's, but that isn't an easy concept to define or defend.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #39
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I appreciate Mel and the CRPA's efforts on this. Most of those are very good.

The guy who did opposing steam is a terrific photographer. Check out his Flickr stream. Too bad he plasters his name in huge font all over everthing. I suppose with stuff like that people try to steal it. Never happens to me. LOL!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #40
magicman_841

The second prize winner does not do much to me as a railfan, but I can certainly appreciate a fine art photographer's (a woman, too) take on a railroad subject. Quite refreshing, to be honest.

Don't look at CRPA with your RP glasses.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
The second prize winner does not do much to me as a railfan, but I can certainly appreciate a fine art photographer's (a woman, too) take on a railroad subject. Quite refreshing, to be honest.

Don't look at CRPA with your RP glasses.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
magicman_841

Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #43
JRMDC

Not following Troy's post or why Mathieu finds it humorous, please explain.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #44
Mgoldman

Any contest that judges Travis's shot as "honorary mention" and the Thames elevator doors 2nd place is one I could never expect to win.

I passed though must admit - had I the time to spare, "Dog on a Train" would've been one submission and "Heatwave trespasser" the other.

I was also going to submit a roster wedge shot - y'just never know.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #45
sd9

Quote:

pole/insulators: it looks like the elements were arranged in a pose; I can't conceive of how that is a shot of a pole in the real world. But nice abstraction and mix of color/neutral. My main complaint is little RR feel.

But J They are telegraph poles!, I'm thinking, it could be like the ones I tried here on RP awhile ago and it got PEQed They were being torn down at the time and were arranged in mass piles along the rails , But...Glad to see the insulators got some recognition!

From 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
I wanted to bring attention to another part of the railroad landscape going by the wayside, (UP cutting down all telegraph poles) I felt they are as connected to railroads as spikes are to ties, (maybe the younger crowd would disagree) ... So I thought I would try a few close-ups of the subjects.
But...I got the old PEQ, do you think I should forget about my idea or try some other angle?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=997115999
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=490336883

Bill
Name:  tele.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  239.9 KB
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #46
JRMDC

Bill, I certainly figured they were RR related. But they don't have the "look", I now understand because they had been taken down and were piled up on the ground, forming odd angles. The change in appearance is enough for me to mentally re-categorize them from "RR" to "misc. industrial waste." Much as a couple of large bolts in a pile may no longer look like track connection bolts. My own definition of creative RR shot doesn't go there, creative but not enough RR, sorry, no offense, one opinion only.

It is a cool photo, btw, I do like it, well done. Industrial waste portraiture, nice.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #47
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Looking at those entries, now I wonder if I should have submitted this one. Maybe model railroaders can relate as a train is going round and round.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #48
magicman_841

Well, that's definately in the spirit of the contest. You should have submitted!

Looks pretty cool, IMO.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #49
JRMDC

Yes you should have!!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
Dennis A. Livesey

At initial glance, I was of the same reaction to the three front runners.

Upon reflection and seeing all the "Also Liked" entries, I will tend to agree with all selections. I say this since they all fit into the feeling or parameters of the contest.

Stipulating that the entries be "creative" was about as risky as could have been postulated since what is creative for all tastes is impossible to define. However, the risk was worth the reward for we got to see what "way out there" stuff about railroading is out there.

At the time of submission, all I sent in was B&W steam shots. Recently however, my "Subway Series" (As Eric Williams has aptly named it) has taken off and I sure I would have sent one of those in.

However, I should acknowledge that getting a note from Troy,

"Posted by troy12n:

There are a couple other ones that are good but not exceptional, like Dennis's steam shot."

is truly the mark of accomplishment.

I will have to say that of course I was thrilled to have one of my shots selected and I thank CRPA so much for the opportunity.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote