Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
firegator

Default First locomotive ride

Hi all-- I couldn't find a thread dealing with this subject, so thought I would ask the question-- Where, when, and how did you get your first ride in a locomotive?
If I may, I'll start-- In 1972 I was in Eastern Missouri about 50 miles below St Louis along the Frisco Main which parallels the Mississippi River-- I had been out shooting on a Sunday morning and was leaving when a freight train came into view-- I was already chasing trains, so I was not unhappy to wait near the crossing while the train passed-- The crew waved, and I started counting cars--
As car No. 70 passed, its airline snagged the crossing planks, ripping the air hoses off two cars-- Having never seen a train go into emergency, and being that close, scared the bejesus out of me-- The train stopped about a mile south of the crossing, but about 3 cars blocked it-- Then it started to rain--
I drove down to the locomotive and told the crew what happened, and offered to drive the conductor back to the affected cars-- He isolated the air, uncoupled the cars behind, and I took him back to the power-- By now, it was pouring down-- The conductor said they had to drag the cars about 15 miles down the line to a siding, and asked me if I wanted to ride-- (Does a kid want to go into a candy store?) I believe the lead unit was a GP-40--Let me tell you, the hook was set-- Regards da Gator
firegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

My first was in May of 1991 on a two week old SP GP40M-2 #7131 on a coal train that could not make the hill at Kirkwood. We were talking to the crew, they asked if we wanted to come up and look at the engine. Four hours later, an eastbound UP pushed the train over the hill, and they asked if we wanted to ride while it was pushed about a mile. Then the engineer asked if we wanted to ride all the way to Lackland, where the crew terminated. I would have, but had to work at 7 in the morning, and it was already pushing 1 a.m. The train likely would not have been to Lackland until about 5 a.m., and it turned out it got there around 5:30 a.m. It was a fun ride, albeit short. Like Gator said, the hook was set. I've done it many times since, and it is always fun.

Crap, does that make me a foamer?

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 12-30-2005 at 02:43 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
John M. Day

In 1972 I'd been promised to get a ride aboard the F units that pulled CP Rail's passenger train from Montreal to Saint John (sorry, forget the train's name). Everything was "all arranged", so I was told.

I was met at Windsor Station by my friend's contact who was coming with me. One small problem, we had to go through the main passenger gate where tickets were being inspected - and as I had none, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. In the end, we just rushed the gate along with all the passengers for the train (it was quite busy), my contact got between me and the ticket inspector, flashed his pass and we just kept going, not looking back til we were safely aboard the engine (the engineer knew we were coming).

After that, the ride was fairly mundane and I only rode to the first stop, Westmount I believe.

John Day
John M. Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

First cab ride was in 2002 in former White Pass & Yukon 2-8-2 #190 at Tweetsie. Was followed by a ride in former ET&WNC 4-6-0 #12 at Tweetsie. So moving, that in 2003 I worked as a fireman on both locomotives. Soon to follow, rides in Thomas the Tank Engine, various GP-9's, and 2-8-0 #1702 on GSMR. You cant beat the ride in a steam cab if you ever get the chance.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

First locomotive ride was in BGRM 1849, a Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44 back in June 2003. It rode very well, even though we were on either 80 or 90 lb. joint rail. One thing that added to the experience was helping get it ready for the 92-day inspection. This required crawling under the locomotive (since we didn't have an inspection pit) to add oil to the traction motors. When you're 6' tall, that's no easy task.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

My first cab ride was in the summer of 2002 with Fuente1 not too long after his first Also at Tweetsie in the former Whitepass and Yukon #190. After a few rides we got to be pretty good friends with the train crew and even got to help them run a little. Riding up front in A steam engine is something everybody has got to do.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:21 AM   #7
fuente1

Mr.Cagle,
To MANY more cab rides in 2006! Maybe they will put us to work again
Old 01-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Time to break out the hickory stripes!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

My first cab ride was during the summer of '97 on the Virginia Southern. That was when they had they're GP40s in the VS green and yellow scheme. (I miss those days). That would be the first of many rides on the VS in a variety of power to include GP7&9 rebuilds as well as a host of high-nosed NS power. My last cab ride was in Mar of '99 just a few weeks before I left for basic training. This was on the Reading & Northern between Lehighton and Coxton Yard in Pittston, PA. Haven't had once since, but I've been told the rail crew on base gives rides, so I'll see if I can't work something out here for '06.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
cwwrman

Default A ride a boy will never forget

I dont know exactly when my first cab ride was but I know it was fun. My dad was out at a Weyerhauser sort yard cutting firewood one morning and the train was out switching some log cars. I must have been 5 maybe 6 at the time, the engineer stopped the train over by dads pickup and got out of the cab came over and asked my dad if he could take me for a ride? I didnt hesitate a bit. Not only was it my first ride in the cab of a train, it was also my first train ride at all. And in my favorite type of locomotive a classic EMD GP-7. We didnt go very far since they were only switching cars but the engineer did have to go through the crossing twice and let me blow the horn for the crossing. I was instantly hooked on trains from that moment on.
cwwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
bnsfnut4924
BNSF San Bernardino Sub!!

Send a message via AIM to bnsfnut4924 Send a message via MSN to bnsfnut4924 Send a message via Yahoo to bnsfnut4924

My first, and so far only cab ride was when I was 15. I was standing by the side of the tracks taking pictures of a BNSF Dash 9 and an ES44DC and the conductor walked from the back of the ES44DC up into the cab of the Dash 9. A moment later he asked if i wanted to come up to the cab. When I got up there they offered me a ride to go forward of of the siding, onto Main 2, then reverse to the rear of the train and pick up the EOTD, and then come back to the front. They dropped me of at the front of the train and then headed for LA.

Last edited by bnsfnut4924; 02-20-2006 at 02:34 PM.
bnsfnut4924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

when i was about 13 on the now abandoned UP Hepner Branch in oregon. the unit was a very old GP38-3. here is a couple bad shots of the train i rode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictures_1218_hep3.JPG (131.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg pictures_1218_hep6.JPG (123.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
fuente1

Thats cool you got a cab ride. One hint however, dont discuss engine #'s, dates, etc on public railroad forums. Such information could get a crew fired, as cab rides are not allowed on any Class I's.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #14
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsfnut4924
My first, and so far only cab ride January 22, 2006...My one and only picture so far on RP is from the cab of the lead loco BNSF 4924.
You know, giving information like that is a GREAT way to get the crew in trouble (i.e. fired). You never know who's reading these forums...
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

i figured that it was safe to show some pics of what i rode in because not only was it taken 16 years ago but 2 of the crewmen have passed on and the other 2 are retired
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
fuente1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee_Logger
i figured that it was safe to show some pics of what i rode in because not only was it taken 16 years ago but 2 of the crewmen have passed on and the other 2 are retired

No worries, I was referring to BNSFNut4924.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
bnsfnut4924
BNSF San Bernardino Sub!!

Send a message via AIM to bnsfnut4924 Send a message via MSN to bnsfnut4924 Send a message via Yahoo to bnsfnut4924

Sorry, I was thinking, I'm not going to do that, I'm not going to do that, and what do you know, I did. Sorry about that.
bnsfnut4924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #18
Tåg

My first was on a Western Pacific 4-6-0 owned by a RR museum in Rio Vista CA when I was about 5 years old. My most recent was this morning.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #19
Niles

Hi guys. Every day a train is down at Du Pont. Do you think if I asked to get a look at the cab they might say yes? Any tips?
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Hi guys. Every day a train is down at Du Pont. Do you think if I asked to get a look at the cab they might say yes? Any tips?
Hey it dont hurt to ask i mean whats the worst they could say NO Thats not bad just ask and maybe you'll have a chance
Old 09-12-2006, 04:07 AM   #21
Tåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Even though I would not care if a civillian checked out my engine, I value my job. So I would have to say no.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #22
devights
Stephen De Vight

One thing that has worked in the past is bribery. Once we were out railfanning and had a case of Coke in the back. When a train stopped at the siding near us we offered them some Coke, which led to a nice long sit in the cab (which was nice as it was cold and rainy). After hiding on the floor while the evening Amtrak passed we got off the train and they continued off to Seattle. I have to agree with NSfan14, no harm done in asking!
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #23
ssw9662

My first cab ride was in '02 in a 44-tonner owned by a small tourist railroad. I was volunteering for them at the time so that's how I got the cab ride.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #24
Switched out

Can't remember when but It was one of these beauties.
Image © Christine Sweetnam
PhotoID: 137787
Photograph © Christine Sweetnam

Christine.

Last edited by Switched out; 09-13-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #25
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

My first ride was in 1999 when there was aswitching operation in KFS station (my city) and afriend of me working as aconductor asked me if i wanna to get to the cab of the loco (the loco was EMD JT22W-M) like the loco that appears in my avater under my user name. i said sure so he asked the driver if he could allow me to enter the cab and the driver said welcome with the people who like and like the machine that we drive.It was really very nice.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote