Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #26
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Here's my story of misery and woe: I lost everything because I lost two hard drives in the space of a week. Or, almost everything. I had a third external backup that I forgot about because it's almost never on. Still lost everything from September to January though =(
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Here's my story of misery and woe: I lost everything because I lost two hard drives in the space of a week. Or, almost everything. I had a third external backup that I forgot about because it's almost never on. Still lost everything from September to January though =(
They're not lost:

http://gillware.com/

Quote:
Hard Drive Data Recovery Services

Only $378.99 US for Microsoft Windows operating systems.

We also service Macintosh, Linux, Unix, and other operating systems, as well as RAID recoveries, invasive recoveries, and other systems at an increased price. See our online quote page for details.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
Joey Bowman

The one thing that always gets overlooked in every thread about RAW is that it gives you the chance to keep your large file from NEVER being a JPG. JPGs are lossy file formats that everytime they are opened and saved are compressed more and more.

I shoot in RAW, Convert to TIFF (8-bit) and then make a JPG copy if I want to put it on the internet.

I have noticed a distinct increase in print quality since using this method.

Also, most camera manufacteurs provide a RAW conversion software with the camera, so unless you are determined to use ACR (adobe camera RAW), then the excuse that you need a new version of photoshop is not really valid.

I shoot in RAW, use Canon ZoomBrowser EX RAW processing to make adjustments in white balance, exposure, and anything else needed that that software can do. Save as a TIFF, and anything (if) anything else is done in Photoshop.

Last edited by Joey Bowman; 06-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Joe the Photog

It's kinda like sayiong that since negatives take up so much space, you should just toss them. More room, less hassel, right?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #30
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's kinda like sayiong that since negatives take up so much space, you should just toss them. More room, less hassel, right?
You are SOOOOOO right Joe - if I'd have thrown away my negs from the 80's and 90's I wouldn't have have half the shots on this site that I do - and when I started storing them in the early 80's it was way before the Internet was mainstream and PC's as we know them today weren't even available, let alone affordable slide/neg scanners

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #31
lock4244

I suppose I'm the only one that burns the RAW's on a DVD-R to as a back-up to my back-up?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #32
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I suppose I'm the only one that burns the RAW's on a DVD-R to as a back-up to my back-up?
Not the only one. I use two externals plus DVD.

Now, I am certainly not good at keeping up with my burning and "externaling," and in fact this thread coincides with a relatively free evening and I will be doing my backup tasks tonight.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #33
Wizzo

I copy an image of my hard drive to an identical spare in the PC that is normally offline about once a week and copy any updated data files to an external hard drive at the end of a session.

I could mirror the drives, the SATA controller on my PC supports that but it would involve re-installing Windows and all the apps from scratch and I can't be bothered with that right now.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #34
Joey Bowman

Quote:
All paid work I do I keep copies of everything, before the photos are even touched they are backed up onto DVDs and external hard drives.

If its something that I am just doing for fun, I only keep what I like, throw away the bad stuff.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #35
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
All paid work I do I keep copies of everything, before the photos are even touched they are backed up onto DVDs and external hard drives.

If its something that I am just doing for fun, I only keep what I like, throw away the bad stuff.
Same for me with the paying customers. I only keep the best of my personal collections as well. Too bad that only yields me about 1 in 10, LOL! I'm sure that I'm not the only one tho!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I use RAW for trains and trains only, I found in my own experience that images of food(in dull commercial kitchen light), cars, nature animals, potraits and family photos that it was useless and space wasting. Especially in indoor light, I could never get the color temperature right. Once I started shooting trains in raw though, I never looked back... I found Rockwell's website good for product reviews, but never for tips or techniques..
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #37
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
I found in my own experience that images of food(in dull commercial kitchen light), cars, nature animals, potraits and family photos that it was useless and space wasting. Especially in indoor light, I could never get the color temperature right.
I swear it sounds like you're arguing for shooting this stuff in RAW, not against. Personally, I shoot everything in RAW, including when I let y kids shoot a picture of me and my wife. I manually set the exposure, then let them focus in and shoot. It's usuallly a little dark, but I've got it in RAW, so I can muck around with it.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 AM   #38
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Could just be the difference in camera brands, not sure. But for other things besides trains, I have never been able to get the colors right. Sometimes in outdoor light I will shoot in raw, but since train images require a certain amount of tweaking I always shoot raw.

I shot this in JPEG Fine, nothing touched in photoshop except resizing. Looks like I forgot to even level it. Unfortunately this image quality is from Myspace compression.

This on the other hand was shot in RAW, processed then saved to a TIFF and finished in PS CS2 and saved to a JPEG. This image was also originally underexposed, RAW helped save it.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 274812
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

While this was shot in JPEG. Quality is so much better in the RAW version.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 261043
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

My point is that I have found no reason to use RAW in anything for personal use, especially if I am going to put it on Myspace where it kills the image quality and sharpness anyway..

Last edited by Watain; 06-04-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: wrong photo
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #39
Freericks
Met Fan

Shoot RAW and JPEG - edit the JPEG if the camera got it perfect, edit the RAW if the camera missed.

Save all original images on an external harddrive and two backup external hard drives.

Save the RAWs only to DVD (two copies)

Keep one backup external and one DVD at my office.

Edited files are then saved on two external drives and two backup drives, and on three DVDs (one DVD and one backup drive stays at my office).

Paranoia, thy name is Freericks

(Although an audio engineer once told me that nothing digital exists unless it exists in three places... which I've come to accept as gospel.)

Last edited by Freericks; 06-04-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #40
Joe the Photog

Charles;

Are you suggesting that all of us send our RAW images to your office on DVD for safekeeping?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #41
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Charles;

Are you suggesting that all of us send our RAW images to your office on DVD for safekeeping?

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #42
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Talking

Golly, this is almost as much fun as the old debates about Kodachrome 25.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #43
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Talking

Golly, this is almost as much fun as the old debates about Kodachrome 25. Oh, that was bright John hit the key twice.

Last edited by John West; 06-04-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Stupidity
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #44
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

25 is too slow!
I shoot 64.
Well, theoretically..
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #45
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
I shoot on 4 gig cards which fit nicely onto a single layer DVD. I download the file, import into Aperture, update it's vault (an external HD) then burn the file onto 2 DVD's. I keep one DVD at home, the other at a relative's home.

Now I have the original RAW files, all of them, on two HD's and two DVD's.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #46
khalucha

Some people complain that RAW takes up to much space on the HD, but every time I save a edited RAW as TIFF file it is around 50 meg. Same for everyone else too or is my PS jacked up?

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #47
jnohallman

I hope everyone who's burning their stuff to DVD for backup hasn't read the information that suggests they're a less stable long-term storage format than CD-R, which in itself is questionable . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #48
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
Some people complain that RAW takes up to much space on the HD, but every time I save a edited RAW as TIFF file it is around 50 meg. Same for everyone else too or is my PS jacked up?
A TIFFs size depends on the size of the photo, as well as what bit it is (8, 16, 32bit), AND, how many layers are saved on it. For example, my 8mp SLR's TIFFs are around 22MB straight from the camera in 8bit mode (XT is 22, 30D is 23). If you start adding more layers it can get larger, I have a few composite images that are as big as 250mb, while the regular work I do to an image usually brings the file size up to 60-80mb. I work in 8bit mode, if I worked in 16 that would double the file size.

My GF's 50D's TIFFs are easily 150-300mb with out much effort.

Last edited by Joey Bowman; 06-05-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #49
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
Tiff files are about as large as you can make them. they save everything, Loss less.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #50
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I hope everyone who's burning their stuff to DVD for backup hasn't read the information that suggests they're a less stable long-term storage format than CD-R, which in itself is questionable . . .

Jon
Weve started using these for backing up our paid work. http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/index.html They can be as much as 20-40 times the cost of a conventional CD or DVD but I think its worth it.

We also use them for when we sell a CD or DVD to a client, we have also raised our prices for discs because of this, but we can also truly say that they are archival, up to 300 years. In our experience we have found some of our own "normal" DVDs and CDs have corrupt files, even after being burned just a few months ago (while being stored in a correct manner)

Tags
ken rockwell, raw