Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
rino54

Default Black & white work

Good afternoon,

I recently had two pictures rejected. These are b&w done from pictures I did two days ago at night near Paris.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=906486725
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1294421538

I am wondering if any of these picture worth anymore work to be published. I mean is that material that could interest anyone around? If yes, what do you suggest me to do?

Thanks,

Renaud
Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

I like the photos and the contrast in the black and white. However, I think the problem is for the first shot is that there are many wires blocking the subject as well and you're also shooting into the artificial light you are using. As for the second shot, there is noise and the pan isn't that sharp but soft.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Ron Flanary

I like both shots. Remember: if RP rejects a shot, that might not mean it should be "fixed." A common mistake for good photographers is to somehow feel they should capitulate to RP's interpretation of their work.

That said---the second shot (the panned night scene) does have a little "noise," so perhaps that could be toned down.

Overall, however, these are both terrific concepts and well done. Congrats!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
JRMDC

The second one, give it a good dose of noise reduction. I don't think it needs much if any, but for RP it will need a lot.

The first one, the rain effect is neat, it seems like it may be one of those shots that RP just does not want. I don't see a way to reprocess to address that issue, and for that matter I don't see anything that really needs fixing, other than maybe the upper left light is too strong for the image and maybe it works better with a crop that gets rid of it. The wire may or may not be an issue, but that isn't what the screener saw first.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

too interesting for RP. Stick to the sunny day wedgies.

Last edited by Hatchetman; 01-21-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Mr. Pick

I really like the first picture. I don't think I'd change a thing. Not a fan of the second one, but that's just because my personal tastes don't run in that direction.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Just remember this, practice makes perfect and perfect takes practice. As a photographer, it takes much, much practice to getting what you want. Just keep practicing and you'll get great images. From the rejections you have, lets just say that it gives you another thing to practice at and get better at.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan View Post
Just remember this, practice makes perfect and perfect takes practice. As a photographer, it takes much, much practice to getting what you want. Just keep practicing and you'll get great images. From the rejections you have, lets just say that it gives you another thing to practice at and get better at.
Fair enough, but it isn't clear from these pictures that he necessarily needs practice. Your tone is one of "he fell short" whereas I would say "he fell different from RP". RP is not the only standard.

I myself very much like the second one, perhaps only wanting to see a bit more precision so that the nose is sharper. But for this shot that isn't as important, anyway. It is very nice.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
too interesting for RP. Stick to the sunny day wedgies.
I like your style H-man,

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I like your style H-man,
Hear, hear!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Fair enough, but it isn't clear from these pictures that he necessarily needs practice. Your tone is one of "he fell short" whereas I would say "he fell different from RP". RP is not the only standard.

I myself very much like the second one, perhaps only wanting to see a bit more precision so that the nose is sharper. But for this shot that isn't as important, anyway. It is very nice.
I certainly agree. Many outstanding photographers wouldn't have much luck getting their images accepted to RP...but that's certainly not the "gold standard" for acceptable railroad imagery. RP is mostly formulaic and quite predictable, although sometimes some cool images sneak through. The image data base is dominated by straight-up conventional photography---much of which I contribute to on a regular basis.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
bigbassloyd

I'm not really feeling either of them. I know the film boys are fine with noise, but as a wet behind the ears digital shooter, I'm not happy with noise knowing that a 2600 dollar Sony DSLR was responsible for it.

There's a fan, and an anti-fan for every shot. I'm the latter here.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
rino54

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. Railpictures sometimes publish very creative view and I was wondering maybe a small correction to one of the pic may allow it to be published. Anyway, I have many other views in the database and will continue my work, b&w and sunny

About Loyd comment about the camera's price and the noise on the pic, actually the noise was not really coming from the cam but from the post-processing. I'm using Silver Efex Pro and some Fine Structure selectors enhance the noise. So I had a bit of grain to make it nicer and also because when I print, the result is quite nicer, especially with gradient.

Anyway, thanks to give your point, like I said to a friend who criticized some of my work on my blog, if I want to progress and understand my vison and style, I have to listen to critics and points that people doesn't like on my work. I may not try to change but at least it will show me where my work is.

Great day to all of you,

Renaud
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
crazytiger

Honestly, I greatly wish there was room on RP for some shots like these. But I think that, done slightly differently, there can be. Keep trying and stay way from the sunny wedgies everybody.

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote