Old 06-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Daniel SIMON

Default Similar to previous .... Really ????

This photo has been accepted to the data base.

Image © Daniel SIMON
PhotoID: 579172
Photograph © Daniel SIMON

It shows an articulated Dwag tramway GT8Z running on the Sofia tram system.

The picture below has been rejected with the reason: Similar to previous.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=9552153

The photo shows a single GT6 Dwag tramway, and not an articulated GT8Z. I can easily understand that in a hurry with only a few seconds to make the difference the screener has rejected it as being similar to the previous one. However, I appealed and clearly explained the difference between the two photos, but the appeal has been rejected. Why ???

On the other hand, I see every day a bunch of pictures of the NW 611 accepted to the data base. Is that not always the same engine ?????????
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

You lost me at "articulated Dwag tramway GT8Z..." Silly question. Did you appeal?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
On the other hand, I see every day a bunch of pictures of the NW 611 accepted to the data base. Is that not always the same engine ?????????
Also, the Similar to Previous is supposed to describe the photograph, not the engine. From the way you put it, the first person to post the first shot of a specific engine to RP would then be able to boast the only shot on all of RP of that engine.

FWIW, I hear you, but on first glance, and maybe second and third glances, your two shots are very similar.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
KevinM

Hi Daniel,

All I can say is: "Go figure." A quick glance at the two told me they were different cars, and a more detailed look told me they weren't even in the same location. I can't argue with your contention that we see a lot of images that are similar, particularly CSX or NS Diesel wedges with only ballast for scenery. Never mind the endless parade of 611 chase shots. On the surface, I see no reason for the rejection or the rejected appeal. I say "on the surface", because I know nothing about the history of your interactions with the RP Staff. If you've appealed more than once in a blue moon, or you re-submit images that they obviously don't like, I have to imagine that it could affect the amount of scrutiny that future submissions receive.

My best advice is to create a folder in Lightroom called "STP". Whenever you get a rejection due to STP, toss it in that folder. Let it sit for a few months. Some day when you haven't been on a charter recently, pull a couple out and submit them. By then, they won't be similar to anything recent. I think that is really in the spirit of what Admin is trying to achieve. I don't care how popular 611 is. If 30% of the day's submissions were 611 chase shots, I fully suspect that RP would start canning some of them....just to keep some variety in the daily photo stream.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #5
miningcamper1

I suppose that to people who are uninterested in trams and trolleys [that was me years ago], "They all look alike".

Maybe rather than issuing an outright rejection, Admins could compromise by inviting re-submission after a reasonable length of time.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I suppose that to people who are uninterested in trams and trolleys [that was me years ago], "They all look alike".

Maybe rather than issuing an outright rejection, Admins could compromise by inviting re-submission after a reasonable length of time.
That is what I will do. I will let it sleep for a few weeks and re-submit.

Many thanks to all for your comments.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
That is what I will do. I will let it sleep for a few weeks and re-submit.
They won't necessarily like that idea- be careful.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote