Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
AppyFan

Default L Series Lenses

I have been using L series lenses now since October. I have noticed that the sharpness level on some photos, especially those with really bright sunlight can be extremely sharp. Very noticeable through the LCD monitor on my 40D. At first when I started using the 17-40 mm I had to reduce the sharpness level that I had set on my 40D. That seemed to work well for that lens afterwards. I recently received the 24-105 for Christmas and again had to reduce the sharpness setting that I had on my 40D. Last week I went on a railfanning trip and noticed that the last pic of that day ended up being super sharp. That image was taken in bright sunlight. You may be asking yourselves if my other photos turned out sharp and the answer is yes. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could there be something about the 24-105 mm that I need to know about image sharpness compared to the 17-40mm? All constructive comments are welcome. Thanks.
AppyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyFan
I have been using L series lenses now since October. I have noticed that the sharpness level on some photos, especially those with really bright sunlight can be extremely sharp. Very noticeable through the LCD monitor on my 40D. At first when I started using the 17-40 mm I had to reduce the sharpness level that I had set on my 40D. That seemed to work well for that lens afterwards. I recently received the 24-105 for Christmas and again had to reduce the sharpness setting that I had on my 40D. Last week I went on a railfanning trip and noticed that the last pic of that day ended up being super sharp. That image was taken in bright sunlight. You may be asking yourselves if my other photos turned out sharp and the answer is yes. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could there be something about the 24-105 mm that I need to know about image sharpness compared to the 17-40mm? All constructive comments are welcome. Thanks.
One thing is for certain, the 17-40 is much sharper at f8 than it is at f4 or f5.6 (at least mine is).
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I'd set the sharpness setting in your camera to 0 and shoot RAW... then use the included software to adjust the sharpness setting per your tastes after you've taken the photos. That's probably the only way to get it right every time.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
One thing is for certain, the 17-40 is much sharper at f8 than it is at f4 or f5.6 (at least mine is).
Thats also my experience of the 24-105 as well. Its certainly not bad at F4, but its much better at F8 - F16

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
Thats also my experience of the 24-105 as well. Its certainly not bad at F4, but its much better at F8 - F16
Are you sure about that?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Are you sure about that?
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
hmmmmmmmm, really? I've never shot with an L-series lens, but would probably be a little more comfortable shooting with one.

Last edited by Christopher Muller; 01-05-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Are you sure about that?
Although I don't get much opportunity to shoot rail subjects at F16 (at least when using the usual ISO range of 100-400), I used ISO 100 and F16 while on holiday this year to shoot mountain landscapes - stunningly sharp results

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote