Old 11-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
chuckman

Default CSX To minimize operations for Thanksgiving!

CSX Service Bulletin - Thanksgiving Holiday Schedule

CSX will observe the Thanksgiving holiday from 11 p.m. on Wednesday,
November 25, through 7 a.m. Saturday, November 28. During this time,
most terminal and train operations will be curtailed.

We plan to closely mirror this service suspension during the Christmas
and New Year holiday periods and will provide further communication on
those plans in December.

This stinks! To me it sounds like the railroads have no money-this sure sounds fishy!

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/

Last edited by chuckman; 11-19-2009 at 01:37 AM.
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
CSX Service Bulletin - Thanksgiving Holiday Schedule

CSX will observe the Thanksgiving holiday from 11 p.m. on Wednesday,
November 25, through 7 a.m. Saturday, November 28. During this time,
most terminal and train operations will be curtailed.

We plan to closely mirror this service suspension during the Christmas
and New Year holiday periods and will provide further communication on
those plans in December.

This stinks!
Why does it stink ? Crews want to be home for Christmas with their families and not to entertain you foamers trackside. Forgot to mention CP does this also.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

Thankfully NS starts back up the day after thanksgiving as i'll be out by Altoona railfanning there, 5 hours from home and i dont want to be dissapointed. I always have an awesome time in that area.
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Every since the curfew this summer into fall, this really doesn't affect us over here on the New Castle/Pittsburgh/Keystone/Cumberland subs. Everything ran at night during the curfew (which is still going on, but not much work, just clean-up now) and I don't when the curfew will be finally over that they'll just up and switch the schedules to run during the day.

Ben
Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1 View Post
Why does it stink ? Crews want to be home for Christmas with their families and not to entertain you foamers trackside.
Seriously? Do you think saying "this stinks" is a dumb statement in this case? On a railroad photograpghy site?

Last time I checked, the majority of folks that visit this forum take photos of trains. And a lot of those folks have time off during Thanksgiving. So they have free time that could be spent trackside...but the trains aren't running. That stinks from the standpoint of the hobby...which is why this site exists.

I think everyone realizes it takes hard working people to run the trains and those people want/deserve time off. Maybe it's time to give the high horse a break for a bit...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Seriously? Do you think saying "this stinks" is a dumb statement in this case? On a railroad photograpghy site?
I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was a dumb statement, just stating the fact that most railroaders would say it too if they saw that.

Quote:
Last time I checked, the majority of folks that visit this forum take photos of trains. And a lot of those folks have time off during Thanksgiving. So they have free time that could be spent trackside...but the trains aren't running. That stinks from the standpoint of the hobby...which is why this site exists.

I think everyone realizes it takes hard working people to run the trains and those people want/deserve time off. Maybe it's time to give the high horse a break for a bit...

So it stinks, what are you going to do then ? Look at RP all day or head out and find spots you can take shots for future photo references.

CN Conductor

Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
TAMR159

Just be grateful we have time off to enjoy with our families...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
DWHonan

Quote:
This stinks! To me it sounds like the railroads have no money-this sure sounds fishy!
The railroads do this for the three major late-year holidays every year. What's the big deal?

Also, nice mixed metaphor.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
chuckman

Quote:

Thank you for saving me a post! I mean really guys, I didn't say it stinks for crews! Anyway, Thanksgiving day and maybe the weekend would be reasonable, but Wednesday and Thursday! Come on! Like I said, they're broke.

My photos on flickr...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Just be grateful we have time off to enjoy with our families...
Well it is THANKS giving! Anyway, all the more excuse for me parents to take me out on the Alco shortlines!

My photos on flickr...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Thank you for saving me a post! I mean really guys, I didn't say it stinks for crews! Anyway, Thanksgiving day and maybe the weekend would be reasonable, but Wednesday and Thursday! Come on! Like I said, they're broke.
If you clarified that in your original post then all of this would have been avoided. I'll apologize for my railroading behavior.

CN Conductor

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
chuckman

Aside from the little squall me and TM 1 had, will they still run Amtrak trains?

My photos on flickr...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

Oh the farmer and the cowman should be friends ...

Cowboys dance with the farmer's daughters...

Farmers dance with the rancher's gals...

Territory folks should stick together...
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:

Chris,
I don't think that Mike is on a "High horse". I just think that he is one of "Those people". Plus, I took the original post the same way that Mike did. So, I guess that I am riding animals as well........
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
chuckman

Once again! I am just saying this from the train buff's perspective. I have no problem accepting that because of some of our jobs people may have differences of opinion. I respect that. If anything I'm just saying what the news means to me. I had no intention of starting a war here, just wanted to inform. Let's just end it.

My photos on flickr...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #16
troy12n
Banned

OMG CSX is giving crews a couple days off and you critisize them. They should be more like the NS work 365 days a year!!
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
OMG CSX is giving crews a couple days off and you critisize them. They should be more like the NS work 365 days a year!!
Norfolk Southern Corp-

Nov. 6, 2009 - Thanksgiving Holiday Operations

In observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday, Norfolk Southern will curtail (non-intermodal) freight operations beginning 7:00 A.M. on Thursday, November 26, 2009 and resume full operations at 7:00 A.M. on Friday, November 27. Interline gateways will remain open for traffic delivered from connecting carriers and passenger trains will continue to operate through the Holiday.

Customers with critical shipments, particularly unit trains, where customer operations will continue through the holiday, should contact their Customer Service or Marketing Representative regarding service requirements.

Where local service (set/pull) will be required through the holiday period or for questions regarding specific shipments, customers are encouraged to contact their Central Yard Operations or Customer Service representative.

Doesn't sound like 365 days to me.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
Mgoldman

I think a lot of folks (myself included) thought the railroads operated in a fashion similar to most gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, and powerplants - in that they are typically always operating. How many railroads close or minimize operations for TWO days?

As for "stinks", I thought it was obvious that the statement referred to the loss of opportunities for those of us lucky enough to have Friday off.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #19
JRMDC

[quote=troy12n;103589]OMG CSX is giving crews a couple days off and you critisize them. They should be more like the NS work 365 days a year!![/QUOTE

Was it really that hard to understand Chuck's point, the disappointment for himself?

BTW, Chuck, Amtrak's website shows trains running. No surprise, really. There is a special NEC schedule also.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #20
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Chris,
I don't think that Mike is on a "High horse". I just think that he is one of "Those people". Plus, I took the original post the same way that Mike did. So, I guess that I am riding animals as well........
I believe all railway employees ride animals.

Quote:
Alright, lets move on, what's done is done.

CN Conductor

Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

December 25, 1976... so freakin' cold you couldn't stand to be out for more than ten minutes at a time... but I also thought the railroads just ran and convinced my mom to drive me to Bergenfield NJ and drop me off at the Conrail River Line crossing by the library. Most miserable five hours I ever spent, waiting for nothing to come. It was then that I learned.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #22
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Plus, I took the original post the same way that Mike did. So, I guess that I am riding animals as well........
I'm sure, but the point of my post/rant was to say, "Hey, put on your 'I'm-on-a-railroad-photography-forum-right-now' hat on before you blurt out in a demeaning way about railroad employees aren't there to entertain foamers."
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #23
PLEzero

Quote:
As long as I have been interested in railfanning railroads have greatly minimized operations during major holidays. If you pay attention to your own post you will see it is basically all day Thursday, Friday, and only a few hours of Saturday. You make it sound like a five day shut down. A quick check of NS and CSX show an average of about $10 Billion in sales and $26 Billion in assets, they're hardly going broke. Both clearly show steady stock growth in the last 6 months.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #24
crazytiger

Quote:
will they still run Amtrak trains?
Just in case you didn't get the memo from what Chase posted, the answer is yes.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Man up and get your facts straight! This is a perfectly good example of someone that hasn't read all the posts before he jumps! Like I said, END IT!

My photos on flickr...