Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Cameraman

Default Which class 1 has the least GE wide-noses?

Which class 1 has the least amount of GE wide-nose (notice I did not say wide cabs) units per capita? My thought is KCS, but who is second, would it not be one of the Canadian roads? It seems to me CN may have bought the least amout of new GEs. CP would be in the mix I would guess also?.

Any numbers, but keep in mind it is the ratio to all total power, vs. number of GEs bought.

Trying to figure which road has the highest likely hood of not have a GE lead.

CM
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
nikos1

If you want class 1 action with the least amount of widecabs, check out CP's DME/ICE and CN's DMIR. Though they are part of the class 1's system, they have for now retained their regional looks.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
chuckman

I'd say overall CSX has many standard cab engines leading trains across the east coast.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I would say CSX, but it depends on what part of the system you are looking at. Say if you look at the Clinchfield, you will see NOTHING but GE AC units and the occasional SD70MAC, if you looked on some of the ex-B&O lines, you may see a ton of SD50's. Down south in Florida we seem to get a large number of CW40-8's and ES44DC's.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

Dont visit CSX's riverline if you're in search of non GE wide cabs, i'm absolutly sick of them. Thats almost all the run on the riverline, sometimes theres an EMD wide cab and on rare ocasions (i think only when the moon is blue) there is a non wide cab running.

My videos on youtube
My pictures on Railpictures
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Either way, remember that we'll all be looking back fondly on the days when those classy looking GEVO's were leading, before they were all replaced by those wretched [insert uglier, more tasteless design here].
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
Violet-Skies Photos
Rebellious Youth

Too bad you don't want GE widecabs leading; there's plenty on CSX and NS here in Ohio. Of course, contrary to most, I'm happy the GE leaders greatly outnumber the EMD's. I'd better prepare for a tongue-lashing for that comment...

And ottergoose has a pretty good point about these current locomotives; One day you'll be looking back at them like you do the early GeeP's, E and F units, steam power, etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
ssw9662

UP probably has the lowest proportion of GE wide cabs, although they are loaded with EMD fatheads which aren't much better.

Without looking at rosters I'd say NS, CSX, and CP use standard cabs the most these days, although you still have to get lucky to see one. That's what shortline and regional railroads are for--with a few exceptions you'll never have problems getting a standard cab there.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
espeekiwi

what i find amusing is the fact (from an international point of view)...is all the good you tube clips or rail net pictures of general electric is them blowing turbochargers or catching fire....so GE must have been having a two for the price of one deal to sell so many piles of cr*p.
espeekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
GMEMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
Either way, remember that we'll all be looking back fondly on the days when those classy looking GEVO's were leading, before they were all replaced by those wretched [insert uglier, more tasteless design here].
I agree totally, even though I dont like GE's. Who knows maybe one day in the future well all be watching electrics go by, thinking of the old days when diesels ruled the rails.
GMEMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMEMD View Post
I agree totally, even though I dont like GE's. Who knows maybe one day in the future well all be watching electrics go by, thinking of the old days when diesels ruled the rails.
lol, not likely...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMEMD View Post
Depends on what the engines look like. If the electrics of the future look more like GG-1s and less like Toasters, then I won't lament the passing of diesels at all . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet-Skies Photos View Post
Too bad you don't want GE widecabs leading; there's plenty on CSX and NS here in Ohio. Of course, contrary to most, I'm happy the GE leaders greatly outnumber the EMD's. I'd better prepare for a tongue-lashing for that comment...

And ottergoose has a pretty good point about these current locomotives; One day you'll be looking back at them like you do the early GeeP's, E and F units, steam power, etc.
Remember when no one would step out of their car the shoot a CR C40-8W? Nowdays, only ten years later, people consider you mentally insane not to give chase!

My photos on flickr...

Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I would say CSX, but it depends on what part of the system you are looking at. Say if you look at the Clinchfield, you will see NOTHING but GE AC units and the occasional SD70MAC, if you looked on some of the ex-B&O lines, you may see a ton of SD50's. Down south in Florida we seem to get a large number of CW40-8's and ES44DC's.
Because the CSX Chicago Line connects to all of these, we see a good variety, including foreign power. Some recent sightings by me are two SD50s on a manifest, a CP SD40-2 leading a grainer and C40-8s on autoracks various times. It doesn't help the cause that (fortunately) unlike NS, BNSF, (I'm assuming this applys to the other 4 too), CSX has the policy of putting whatever power on the point it has. Unfortunately, that still makes ES44DCs quite common. A good point though troy12n.

Also regarding the comments about CN, they have many, many widecabs, although only a handful are GEVOS and other modern widecabs. They have many cowls, and widecab GP40-2 and SD40-2s. However, if we're talking widecabs that aren't boring, they are on the list.

My photos on flickr...

Last edited by chuckman; 12-10-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

The point shouldn't be that one day, we'll all be chasing the last remaining GE wide cabs at some theoretical time in the future. The point is we'd like to be chasing more Dash 7s and SD40-2s or even some four axles leading trains TODAY.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
Also regarding the comments about CN, they have many, many widecabs, although only a handful are GEVOS and other modern widecabs. They have many cowls, and widecab GP40-2 and SD40-2s. However, if we're talking widecabs that aren't boring, they are on the list.
CN has one of the smaller fleets of widecabs, since they scrape by with as few locomotives as possible. The GP40-2L fleet is decimated, the SD40-2W is heading that way, and all SD50F's are off the roster. The original CN widecab is getting endangered on CN... lets say that roughly 50 GP40-2L's and 80 - 90 SD40-2W's remain (in service number are less given the recession), 55 C40-8M's (plus 26 from BCOL), 23 C44-9WL's (plus 4 from BCOL), 61 or 62 SD60F's (ok, four are SD50AF pre-production units), and 40 or so GP38-2W's. Far cry from what it was in the glory days of the CN cab. Maybe 400 operating.

As for modern widecabs, CN has 26 SD70I, 173 SD75I's, 11 C40-8W, 203 C44-9W's, 90 ES44DC's, 100 SD70M-2 (with 40 on order). Add them both, maybe have 1000 units... UP has more than that number of SD70M's!

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 12-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #17
TrainFanNZ

Send a message via MSN to TrainFanNZ

I agree with 'cameraman', KCS would have the least. But i don't live in the States, so I'm only guessing!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
lost bouy

Well CSX probably has the least, but on some lines you won't see a train with nothing but GE widecabs. There are fewer now though becuase CSX stored some. What is so bad about GE's though? I know they get infestive but really, there no that bad, they got air ride seats
lost bouy is offline   Reply With Quote