Juan

Default Bad crop again

Opinios: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=608061119

Juan
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
railtrekker

Default Bad Cropping

Bad Cropping in my OPINION is a BS reason to reject a picture. YOU are the photographer / Artist. Not some moderator sitting behind a screen thinking to themselves "I would have done it this way" Cropping should not be a reason for rejection. I would personally reject all the "scenery" shots where you see a train somewhere way back in the background, barely visible. This is a railroad site. I like to see the train!
In my OPINION I like your shot
Brian
railtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by railtrekker View Post
Bad Cropping in my OPINION is a BS reason to reject a picture. YOU are the photographer / Artist. Not some moderator sitting behind a screen thinking to themselves "I would have done it this way" Cropping should not be a reason for rejection. I would personally reject all the "scenery" shots where you see a train somewhere way back in the background, barely visible. This is a railroad site. I like to see the train!
Brian
Brian,

Disagree. It's not a matter of how the screener thinks the photo should be cropped, I think it's overall the appearance of the photo. The composition is far more appealing if the train is positioned in the bottom left/right, rather than in the center. That's not a screeners opinion, but simply, the rule of thirds in photography. This site displays the "best" railroad pictures on the 'net, therefore factors like the cropping of the train are important to make sure the "best" remains an accurate title.

This isn't RRPA. The standards here are a bit higher. Scenery photos are encouraged.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
coborn35

Where are they encouraged. Must've missed that.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
railtrekker

Default cropping

Not to hijack his original post. What then, in your opinion, would you do differently to help him get the picture accepted. Maybe crop a little off the left?
I agree wholeheartedly in your position that this isn't rrpicturearchives (Thank God!)
2/3rds rule is a good basis on photography but not a written in stone rule. As I stated in my previous post, I like to see the train as the focal point not a bunch of scenery that distracts from the main emphasis of the train.
railtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Where are they encouraged. Must've missed that.
The weekly PCA's encourage people to expand their perspectives in hopes of getting an award? Other awards like SC and POTW do the same..

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Juan

Thanks guys!

I submitted again rippig a little bit of the left, but still being bad cropped, really I dont realise how to crop a shot of a light engine, if you can help me will aprecciate that!

Thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
troy12n
Banned

It's a roster shot, so it's a crapshoot as to if it will get on
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by railtrekker View Post
Brian
I'm trying to wrap my mind around a web site that tries to bring the best in railroad photography, but does not screen cropping issues. The site would be flooded by crappy cropping. Then if you don't screen cropping, what else do you not screen?

Photography is mostly subjective, but cropping can almost be a technical issue in some cases. Not screening for cropping would be a really stupid move for a screener-oriented web site.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's a roster shot, so it's a crapshoot as to if it will get on
As I undestood you, you mean that the shot it's crap (for RP) but I saw a lot of roster shot here and several being top shot. The quiestion is, is this shot suitable for RP? in my opinion yes, the light it's ok and I think the subject and the all-around it's interesting.

The problem it's the crop, if I let the locomotive to the left I get a bad crop, if I center, bad crop too, that's waht I dont understand.

Thanks for the answers Troy and Joe!

Juan
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Try shooting the train a bit further back in the frame a bit.. It looks a little 'in your face' to me. It also looks overexposed, whether your shutter speed is too low, F stop, ISO, etc.. Still, I do like the scene.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
Juan

There were no room back to me, a deep bush.

Thanks for the opinion!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

Roster shots need to be very tight. Take more off the left and you may even shave a touch off the right.

All of this being said, the odd low angle may kill you anyway.

I also personally like the shot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
wds

Juan, the term "crapshoot" refers to rolling dice - you never know what the result will be. It is not a reflection of the quality of the shot itself. As for the cropping issue, if it were possible to shift your vantage point to the left a bit it would make it easier to fill the frame better and still allow for a nice crop ratio (say 4:6) without having too much "dead space" on the left. It would still be a roster shot though (and therefore it would still be a crapshoot to get in the database) and it appears there are bushes close on that side also. What about earlier in the day - would it be possible to shoot from the other side? Or you might have to just wait until it gets back into road service.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
Juan

The room were very tight, unfortunatelly this movements are sporadics, this movement in particular were very rare, the line were this locomotive gping to work it's the priuncipal line, this is a interchange branch with irregular traffic. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the evening.

Thanks for the time WDS!