Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
N. Herring
Senior Member
 
N. Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 215
Default Suggestions?

This one was dinged for Bad Cropping, not sure how I can change it, considering I was almost 2 miles away.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=4158048

This one for unsharpened (soft). I was trying to focus on the memorial more than the train, and it didnt work out I guess, Suggestions?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...32&key=4553386
__________________
Nathan Herring
Amarillo, TX, USA


Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan
Senior Member
 
Coloradorailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan
Default

1st shot: Too much sky and less ground. Use your rule of thirds. Balance out the train with your surroundings.

2nd shot: I am not too sure about that one. It's an interesting shot.
__________________
John Crisanti

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

That first one is all kinds of unlevel, too.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That first one is all kinds of unlevel, too.
It has too much "stuff" in it too.

It would be different if that were empty prairie, or at least something interesting like a yard or something.

It is just a hodge podge of things with a train.

The second one, well that is awful depressing (a dumb decision by one life, takes out two more for a total of three) but you can probably get it on, unless they decide it is to controversial.

Were I to do this I would get a little higher on the sign so the fence line is lower and clone out the post on the right.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
N. Herring
Senior Member
 
N. Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
The second one, well that is awful depressing (a dumb decision by one life, takes out two more for a total of three) but you can probably get it on, unless they decide it is to controversial.

Were I to do this I would get a little higher on the sign so the fence line is lower and clone out the post on the right.
After I uploaded the shot I found out he didnt race the train, he waited for one to pass and pulled out in front of another, (before there were gates). Also I tried your suggestion on the train before this, but my shadow was visible on the stone, so I was standing down in the ditch to keep the shadow out of the shot
__________________
Nathan Herring
Amarillo, TX, USA


Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Herring View Post
After I uploaded the shot I found out he didnt race the train, he waited for one to pass and pulled out in front of another, (before there were gates). Also I tried your suggestion on the train before this, but my shadow was visible on the stone, so I was standing down in the ditch to keep the shadow out of the shot
The subject matter is a little dark, I am not sure it will appeal to many.

But don't let that stop you.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
N. Herring
Senior Member
 
N. Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
The subject matter is a little dark, I am not sure it will appeal to many.

But don't let that stop you.
It is, I'll just let it go. I tried thinking outside the box, and didnt think before hand
__________________
Nathan Herring
Amarillo, TX, USA


Railpics
Railvids
Youtube

Last edited by N. Herring; 08-03-2012 at 05:33 AM.
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

1.) You cropped too much from the original. Mind you, I haven't seen it since you first posted it, but as I recall, it had a lot more foreground. My memory is that there was a road that would have been a good element to have in the shot. I remember liking it as a big scene, small train type of shot.

And, yeah, it's unlevel.

2.) Not being there, I would like to have seen more focus on the sign and less on the train. In other words, better DoF to fully accentuate the memorial over the train. It's an interesting idea. I'd revisit it if I were you.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

Well, strike what I said as I found the other thread and it's not the same shot. Part of what I said still holds true. Too much sky and not enough foreground. This is going to be a challenging scene to get right, but when you do, I think you'll be glad you went through the trouble.

Or something like that
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
N. Herring
Senior Member
 
N. Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Well, strike what I said as I found the other thread and it's not the same shot. Part of what I said still holds true. Too much sky and not enough foreground. This is going to be a challenging scene to get right, but when you do, I think you'll be glad you went through the trouble.

Or something like that
Here is my redo, is this any better?
Name:  BNSF 5209.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  830.7 KB
__________________
Nathan Herring
Amarillo, TX, USA


Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Memorial shot is on, doesn't look different, perhaps accepted on appeal?

Image © Nathan Herring
PhotoID: 405252
Photograph © Nathan Herring
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

I think the latest cropping attempt has a good chance. Try it and see.
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
N. Herring
Senior Member
 
N. Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Memorial shot is on, doesn't look different, perhaps accepted on appeal?

Image © Nathan Herring
PhotoID: 405252
Photograph © Nathan Herring
Made a few minor changes including sharpening twice and changing the crop. No appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
I think the latest cropping attempt has a good chance. Try it and see.
Rejected for Bad Cropping and Unsharpened (soft)

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...82&key=4905525
__________________
Nathan Herring
Amarillo, TX, USA


Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.