Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Oh Crop, Not Again

Not sure what to do - may not be savable. Liked the side of the building (for its ugliness). But to get building and train, which are on the same plane in the image, means lots on top and bottom that aren't the image.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=4667721

Any thoughts on saving?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Holloran Grade
Banned

Question ???

I am curious Charles, what were you attempting to capture in this image, or what story and/or message did you seek to convey?

It just reminds me of that alley shot a couple of years ago.

And there is a huge shadow on the nose of the engine, whats up?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
And there is a huge shadow on the nose of the engine, whats up?
El, I'm curious, how does a nose shadow on a distant engine in a larger scene, so not an engine roster, make a difference in how much you enjoy a shot? Seems to me like you may be invoking a rule or principle without assessing whether it matters much in this case.

The open spaces are a huge problem for this shot, to be sure. Maybe crop off the phone number, so you can remove top and bottom also? Maybe put it aside?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

I agree on the open space... I was trying to make the idea work (train and old abandoned building together) but the spacial relation between them probably wasn't right.

I have a much better relation between them on the other side of the building, but of course there is shadow on the building.

Probably just one to think about.

Have to agree with J on the shadow there EL/HG -it's not an issue usually when the train is that far away.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-23-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
nikos1

The abandoned building is very unappealing, doesnt really add any interest to the photo in my opinion. I vote that you scrap this shot and go get a wedge shot of those triclop's when they go the other way.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

As to the building (and to EL's first question on the building) it's telling the story of the hopelessness and destitution of Mojave.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
As to the building (and to EL's first question on the building) it's telling the story of the hopelessness and destitution of Mojave.
I mention the shadow on the nose of a distant train because that tells me (because Charles knows how to photograph a train) that the train was not the primary subject when his brain composed the shot.

And, since this is not "Dilapidated Buildings dot com" it follows that the overall composition of the image had better scream railroad, or be self evident to the viewer, neither of which is going on here.

Charles, I think you can do what you want to do, but perhaps not with this particular building.

A closed bar, or store would be better, and looking at the front of the building with the train behind might convey your message better.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I mention the shadow on the nose of a distant train because that tells me (because Charles knows how to photograph a train) that the train was not the primary subject when his brain composed the shot.

And, since this is not "Dilapidated Buildings dot com" it follows that the overall composition of the image had better scream railroad, or be self evident to the viewer, neither of which is going on here.

Charles, I think you can do what you want to do, but perhaps not with this particular building.

A closed bar, or store would be better, and looking at the front of the building with the train behind might convey your message better.

Not defending the image - I tend to agree that it didn't work... but in the end we are always forced to shoot what is there. Driving around Mojave that day I noticed so many great structures that would look amazing up against a train... unfortunately none of them were up against the tracks.

This is always the problem for the rail photographer, trying to get a nearby structure into the shot. A lot of the time the structures that are nearby are not very photogenic. It's a fight.

We try - in this case we lose.