Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B
Default Bad motive on night shot

Here's a shot of an eastbound IC&E train on Saturday night.It was rejected for bad motive.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=185010

I don't think I'll be able to get it accepted but does anybody have any suggestions for the next time I take a photo like this.

It was a very windy night(45 MPH wind gusts).I took a great photo of the gates going down but a wind gust shook the camera up a bit and the shot was messed up.I hid behind my camera in the second shot so the wind couldn't mess it up but by that time that gates were already down.

Also, should I have the car lights on facing the crossing next time to help too?

thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

The first thing I see is the shot is underexposed. I'd probably crank the shutter open to f5 at least and for as much as 30 seconds if needed. Getting there before the train is coming so you can test some shots with different settings is a must.

Shining your headlights will NOT help in this case. It will only hurt because now you'll have a part of the scene amazingly and harshly over expsed while the rest of it is either under exposed or properly exposed. The only thing I do with headlights is when it's needed and handy, I shine them on whatever I need to get a focus on, then shut them down for the actual shot.

Joe H.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
BNSF_SD40-2B

I dont know how to "crank the shutter" on my Canon Digital Rebel.

Would I have to set the ISO speed higher?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Careful about setting the ISO too high, as you will start getting noise and other distortions in the darker parts of the photo.

Do you have a "bulb" aka manual shutter setting on the DRebel? If so, I suggest getting a cable release or remote control. Control all your settings manually.

In night photography, it is risky to allow the camera to make too many decisions, as the camera is attempting to expose to get the best lighting, not the proper lighting.

Like Joe said, the only thing you should use headlights for is to focus in on your subject.

How is that spot for external light sources? As you may have noticed from some of my shots as well as others in the database, use any light that is nearby. (Although the yellow/orange lights sometimes look terrible.)

I'm a huge proponent of using the moonlight, as it is nothing more than reflected sunlight and with a long enough exposure it can make things look like daylight. But that's another story.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
BNSF_SD40-2B

I do have a bulb exposure on my camera but havn't had the time to test it out.What I usually do for night shots is set my camera in manual focus instead of auto focus,which I use during the day,and it(manual) works fine.

So I guess I should try the "bulb" exposure in the "M" setting for my night shots. I dont have a remote so I'll just have to hold the button down for as long as I want with my finger, hopefully my fingers wont freeze

I'll have lots of time next week to try it out.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:18 AM   #6
SD70MAC
HOBO

I had truck headlights in this night photo and I have used car headlights in my others and I never seemed to have anything become overexposed from them. I use a Digital Rebel as well. If you dont know how to set up a timed exposure for the night shot you may try doing a search on the google to bring up some tips and tricks.

SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote