Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #251
TheOldMan

I had been wondering if RJ Corman would be interested i the Conway-Myrtle Beach track owned by Horry County, since owners of the crushed stone plant at Pine Island had told Mr. Pippin, that they would be making no more shipments to that location.

I suppose that the plant could be sold to another crushed stone shipper who would want to ship there.

But, for the present, New South and 84 Lumber, Bulider's First Source, and Lowes, are all reliatively small volume shippers.

Coastal Biodiesel, which cleaned tank cars and shipped cooking oil in tank cars, has apparently gone out of business. I'm wondering if they would reopen if the railroad were once again operating?

Actually, the possibility of once again getting the kind of high volume traffic needed for a successful and profitable railroad is the same on all parts of the track from Mullins, on to Whiteville, Conway and Myrtle Beach, is very iffy, although I know that Corman would not be investing so much in the railroad purchase and repairs if they didn't think they had a good chance of getting high volume traffic.

In the Myrtle Beach Herald of July 3, 2015, this question is answered in an article at the bottom of the front page, titled, "You may have to stop, look and listen again," continued on page 2.

" . . . The agreement does not include the 15-mile stretch of rail that runs between Conway and Myrtle Beach. That line is owned by Horry County and has been leased to Carolina Southern.

"Bill Henderson, vice-president of sales and marketing for Corman, said the company is in negotiations with the county for that line and he's optimistic they'll be able to come up with suitable terms for a lease.

"He said once the rail is set to re-open, corman will launch a public awareness campaign to let people know to watch for trains again.

" 'Folks along The line have not been used to watching for trains at intersections and we want them to be aware the line is in operation,' Henderson said. 'Safety has always been a top priority for us'

Tom O'Dare 448-7261"

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #252
troy12n
Banned

Or they just need a big tax write-off...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #253
TheOldMan

Default Finally . . .

How long ago was it that I reported here that in the comments section of a webpage about the railroad, a Conway school teacher(?) said that the copper wiring at the Pine Island Drawbridge had been stolen?

And, that I was unable to find anything about it in local reports of copper thefts?

And, no one I mentioned it to, had heard anything about it.

Apparently,the theft has finally come to the attention of law enforcement and the media.

The upper right corner ofthe Myrtle Beach Herald of July 10, 2015, has a photo of the drawbridge,with the caption, "Landmark Bridge Vandalized," page 11A.

On Page 11A, the photo is repeated, in 2 columns, with the story, "Iconic drawbride vandalized, copper wire stolen."

According to the story,the police report on the theft was dated June 30, and the County Public Works Department's initial estimate of repairing the grand larceny is $250,000.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #254
TheOldMan

Default Went Back & Checked

I went back and checked, and my post was on page 8, #197, and Ron Paul's mentioning the wire theft was dated October 14 of last year.

So, how can it be that those in Horry County responsible for the drawbridge, apparently knew nothing of the theft until two weeks before June 30 of 2015???

Old 07-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #255
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I went back and checked, and my post was on page 8, #197, and Ron Paul's mentioning the wire theft was dated October 14 of last year.

So, how can it be that those in Horry County responsible for the drawbridge, apparently knew nothing of the theft until two weeks before June 30 of 2015???
Because it's the government? And the bridge isnt being used??
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #256
BR549

Corman isn't waiting any time.

http://www.tabor-loris.com/97252/218...ilroad-a-start
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #257
TheOldMan

Thanks for the posts, Troy12n and BR549.

Yes, the fact that the railroad was closed and the drawbridge wasn't being used, gave the thieves the opportunity to steal the wiring.

But, I am just wondering if the County had been doing the maintenence runs to keep the bridge in working order, after the lease with B&A, dba Carolina Southern was cancelled.

And, I am wondering just when the last time that the bridge was lowered, was.

There is a u-tube video of it being lowered for Tropical Storm Irene, in September of 2011, although I am not sure if that was before or after that final train to Pine Island, where Norfolk and Southern could not get their empty train back?

Regardless, proper precautions for a hurrican or tropical storm were still being followed.

Also, with that u-tube video, I learned that the gates were taken off of the grade crossings while the storm was on the way.

In the past four years, since that bridge lowering, have their been any more tropical storms, or hurricanes with winds of 25 MPH, passing by the area, which rquired lowering the bridge?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #258
TheOldMan

I went to Loris, SC, earlier in the week, to get a hard copy of that newspaper story about the brush cutting by RJ Corman in the area.

I got it, and other local newspapers from a convenince store across the state line in North Carolina, and did not see anyting looking like any brush cutting had been done on the right of way.

Possibly the track didn't really need any brush cutting in that area?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #259
RAF

Been keeping up on this thread, it'd be nice to see some rail traffic going to & from our M/B vacations. Glad to see the line's going to be back up & running again.

The last 2 years heading down there along 701 between Tabor City & Loris, I have noticed some sections of the track is clear, other spots the vegetation is thick.

The Pine Island drawbridge...is that the one along 501 that crosses the Intercoastal Waterway?

Is the old station in M/B still standing? I saw where the line curves in some away from 501 & 17 bypass, how much farther down the line is the station from that location?
RAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #260
TheOldMan

Default Probably Too Long A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
Been keeping up on this thread, it'd be nice to see some rail traffic going to & from our M/B vacations. Glad to see the line's going to be back up & running again.

The last 2 years heading down there along 701 between Tabor City & Loris, I have noticed some sections of the track is clear, other spots the vegetation is thick.

The Pine Island drawbridge...is that the one along 501 that crosses the Intercoastal Waterway?

Is the old station in M/B still standing? I saw where the line curves in some away from 501 & 17 bypass, how much farther down the line is the station from that location?
RAF:

Thanks for the post. Seems like you might have visited Grand Strand Western within the past year, but I must not have been there when you visited.

Yesterday, on the way to my job, I drove my car along Highway 701, between Loris and Conway, and there had been some mowing between the highway and the roadbed of the railroad, but that could have well been highway rather than railroad work. There was a mowing machine parked in that are but I didn't see any identifying logo on it.

I am thinking about a possible trip to the junction city of Chadbourn. It could well be that those machines shown on the front page of the Tabor-Loris Tribune are still in the area between Chadbourn and Loris, although the newspaper story did claim that they had crossed the state line into South Carolina.

I did not see any of those machines on my 2 last trips to Loris.

Another reason for going to Chadbourn would be to see if the 18 car BP Chemical Train is still on the House Track at the Depot there. BP has complained within the past year or two about not being able to get it back.

I did go over Highway Overpass over the crushed stone plant at Pine Island, and those empty hopper cars that Norfolk Southern has been trying to get back are still there, as of yesterday afternoon before dark.

Yes, the drawbridge across the waterway on US 501, has always been identified in telephone books as Pine Island bridge.

After the waterway crossing, there were two mile posts between the end of the track at the depot before Oak Street.

It seems that two of the mile posts have disappeared, the one shortly after the drawbridge, MP 348, which I could not locate in the 1990s, unless it was a different shape, rounded concrete marker, which I took a photo of, which was turned over on its side.

The other milepost was before the Grissom Parkway grade crossing, MP 349, at the former location of Ford's RediMix Concrete, their mixer having a Clemson Tiger Paw logo on it.

That mile post disappeared in the 2000s.

I foget the exact number of miles of the total Conway to Myrtle beach track, but it is between 14 and 15 miles.

I think it is 14.3 or 14.4. I can check and find out.

So, there is probably .3 miles after the last (at least the last time I noticed) standnig milespost, after the Lumber Street grade crossing, MP 350, and the end of the track, which has a Higway Stop sign on it, both for the trains, and highway traffic exiting the 9th Avenue North Extension, which is parallel to the railroad, and is between Oak Street and Lumber Street.

The owner of the beer and wine warehouse, had planned to demolish the depot building after that company moved to a location on the railroad closer to Conway, but Jack thompson, the Dean of Myrtle Beach photographers, felt senimental about the depot, since he went there to pick up his first set of barbells in his younger days, stood in front of the bulldozer, to stop the demolition, and convinced the city of Myrtle Beach to buy the bulding, and he would lead a group, called the All Aboard Commmittee, to get the funds to restore the depot.

That effort, begun in 2000 finally realized its goal, and the depot was reopned in May of 2004, with a Carolina Southern passenger train arriving and giving free rides to the waterway, the last time I have ridden on a passenter train.

The depot is rented to all kinds of people and groups, holding meetings, including an author plugging his book.

The last I asked, I was told that the depot was operating in the black.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #261
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I drove my car down Depot Road, before the Waccamaw River crossing, and noticed that a lot of brush clearing had been done on the railroad right of way from that location for a number of miles on US 501 between Conway and Myrtle Beach.

However, at the Carolina Forest grade crossing, the brush cutting had not gotten that far.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 AM   #262
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
So when is corman going to start scrapping the line?
Soon!

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...5#.VdJ4pnvTFgg

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #263
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the Post

Jim, thanks for the post.

I was in Carolina Forrest yesterday, and the track at the grade crossing there, had not been cleared of brush.

I also got some Loris newspapers with stories on the completion of the railroad sale, and Corman is planning to work with the State Ports in North and South Carolina.

A Corman spokesman was quoted as saying that there were 14 "viable" freight shippers now on the railroad.

One strange thing in one of the reports said that Corman's freight service will stop at the Intracoastal Waterway.

Would 84 Lumber, in Myrtle Beach, with its estimated average of 24 cars a year, not be viable enough for Corman to serve?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #264
TheOldMan

Apparently Corman's stopping service at the waterway is not a forever situation, and they do consider the possibility of crossing the waterway in the future.

The Myrtle Beach Herald, has a front page article on the railroad in today's edition, and I will quote from it, page 2, col. 6, near the end of the article:

"Corman officials recently told the Myrtle Beach City Council that it may be awhile before thetrains make their way across the Intracoastal Waterway into the city . . . "

That is fully understandable to me, considering the enormity of what they are now having to do with the part ofthe railroad that they have just completed the pruchase of.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #265
TheOldMan

Last night was the County Council's meeting date.

And, it should have been the second of the three readings required to finalize the lease of the Conway to Myrtle Beach track to R.J. Corman.

I finally found out, that on my cable TV system, the channel with the County Council meetings is an extra, requiring an adapter and a fee, that I don't want to pay.

Back in 2012, the council meetings were still available on my cable system, and I do have a VHS of Mr. Pippin speaking to the Council, the first time that the Chairman of the Council had met Mr. Pippin in person.

I did get a copy of the lease, and it is stated that the Waccamaw River drawbridge is to be put into working condition by the County.

The lease is actually two leases:

The first lease goes from Conway to the Pine Island drawbridge, which the lease specifically states is not being leased to Corman.

Then, there is a second lease, for the track east of the waterway, to the terminal point in Myrtle Beach, and again the lease agreement states that Corman is not leasing the drawbridge along with the track.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 AM   #266
ShortlinesUSA

Thank you for the continued updates, Sir!

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #267
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Thank you for the continued updates, Sir!
Thanks for the post. I do plan to look at the minutes of the Myrtle Beach City Council Meeting, where the RJ Corman official spoke to the Council, once the minutes are approved and ready for viewing.

Don't remember if I mentioned the problem of having to lower the drawspanfor hurricanes and tropical storms, or not.

Thinking of that possibility occured to me in the last week or two, when a troipical storm was headed our way.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #268
TheOldMan

Don't notice any mention of the hurricane problem on this page.

I am now wondering if the vandals damaged any of the bridge gears, that might have to be replaced before the drawspan can be lowered?

A mechanical device called a chain fall can be used to operate the drawbridge without electrical power.

Did the vandals steal the chainfall?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #269
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I worked in Carolina Forest, and checked out the grade railroad crossing there.

Doesn't look like the brush cutting on the railroad has gotten that far.

I also drove my car down the road to Grand National golf course.

For the first time, I noticed gates at that grade crossing.

The brush cutting was very much evident there, and a short distance past the crossing toward Myrtle Beach.

I went back to Little River via highwy 701, and the brush cutting was quite in evidence all the way to Loris.

Also, the weeds were gone from the track.

At the grade crossing of highway 701, going North toward Loris, the gate was gone from the right side, although the left gate was still intact.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #270
TheOldMan

Went to Carolina Forrest on the Bypass yesterday, and on the overpass bridge at Pine Island, the long train of hopper cars, which had previously not been visible, looking to the right, toward Conway, had been moved forward, toward Conway, on the runaround track, up to the turnout point.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #271
TheOldMan

If you scroll down to the very last entry on the yahoo search I did from the link below, there is a story about some men who planned to steal copper wire from a drawbridge in Florida.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wh...%3Afp%2Cm%3Asb

When I clicked on the listing, my computer went haywire, and froze up for about 8 minutes or so.

I'm not going to try clicking on it again, but it is definitely related to copper thefts from drawbridges, both in Florida, and in Horry County SC and elsewhere.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #272
TheOldMan

Here's a link to an interview with Bill Henderson of RJ Corman on the recent flooding and its effect on railroad repairs in Horry County.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/302640...y-flood-waters

Old 10-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #273
Joe the Photog

Someone just listed a shot on the CALA Facebook page showing the ex-Southern GP30 being scrapped today
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #274
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
So when is corman going to start scrapping the line?
I don't mean to tell Corman how to do their job, but doing all this rehab work before scrapping the line seems to be a waste of time and money. And giving interviews telling folks that trains will be rolling again soon seems pointless.

SMH
Old 10-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #275
ShortlinesUSA

Sounds like a lot of locomotives are in the process of being scrapped in Chadbourn, NC. GP30 2613 and GP18 943 are known to be scrapped already, and it is believed all of the old CALA GP18s will see the same fate. Baltimore & Annapolis 87 is believed to be in line for the torch, as well.

I am unsure of who is doing the scrapping. If it is RJ Corman, it is possible the frames will be saved for future RailPower genset construction.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote