Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Special leader but iffy light

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8010_edited.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	9739
Saw this while I was trackside today. Unexpected SP patch leading a westbound manifest. 6406 is one of only 8 SP AC44s left in their (patched) original paint. Now, I figured, since it's a rather special leader, it might have some merit here, despite the light not being quite on the nose yet? This is after editing, by the way, but has not been downscaled yet. Figured I'd pass it by here before downscaling and submitting.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm not a fan. I'd expect more "pop" out of the shot after editing. If you told me it was straight out of the camera, I might say play around with editing it and see where it leads. Save it for ten or fifteen years when there are no more SP units left, patched or not, and maybe you'll get more mileage out of the shot
Old 08-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
spacetrain1983

I didn't do much editing, mostly just upping the exposure and contrast a bit and sharpening it. This is the original: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8010.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	9740
Old 08-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Maybe something like this, but that high sun is a beast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzIMG_8010_edit_1000.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	9741  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

I cannot see any editing that will fix the lighting. If only you had a drone.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I cannot see any editing that will fix the lighting. If only you had a drone.

Loyd L.
Right! When the sun is high, shoot where the sun is!
Image © JT Photography
PhotoID: 705351
Photograph © JT Photography

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Right! When the sun is high, shoot where the sun is!
Image © JT Photography
PhotoID: 705351
Photograph © JT Photography

Well at least the drone is closer to Earth than the normal offering from them.

Maybe they can learn distortion perspective correction next..

Loyd L.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Well at least the drone is closer to Earth than the normal offering from them.

Maybe they can learn distortion perspective correction next..

Loyd L.
I'm just scratching my head as to why anyone would shoot from this perspective. In my mind, it fails as a documentary photo. It leaves me wanting more detail from the side. In this case, it certainly could have been shot from a lower altitude without obstructions from the fences, but the photographer seems obsessed with including the horizon in the shot. The shot is To24....or was, but as a steam locomotive enthusiast, I can tell from the thumb that it would just leave me frustrated. So why is it To24? Either people are enamored with "Look mom, I'm flying" shots, or it's the result of a linking campaign. Probably the latter.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Maybe something like this, but that high sun is a beast.
I think that's a significantly better edit. It might still get dinged for no light on the nose, but it has much more "pop" than the original. As others have noted, the original looks like it was right out of the camera, and that will not fly here.

Spacetrain, you may want to browse YouTube for some videos that provide editing classes. It may take some searching, but there is some good stuff out there. When you take a high-sun shot like this, it takes some skillful editing to achieve the best results possible. While it will never look like a low-angle sun shot, it can be made to look a TON better than the dark image you posted. Seriously, once you get the hang of editing, your stuff will look a lot better.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm just scratching my head as to why anyone would shoot from this perspective. In my mind, it fails as a documentary photo. It leaves me wanting more detail from the side. In this case, it certainly could have been shot from a lower altitude without obstructions from the fences, but the photographer seems obsessed with including the horizon in the shot. The shot is To24....or was, but as a steam locomotive enthusiast, I can tell from the thumb that it would just leave me frustrated. So why is it To24? Either people are enamored with "Look mom, I'm flying" shots, or it's the result of a linking campaign. Probably the latter.
It got my click for the sole reason that was in a grass median and what appears to be a residential area. Seems to me the location could cause quite a safety issue with the traffic, pedestrians & foamers in both directions.
I agree with you that the current description leaves you with not enough info.

In regards to the OP,
The high sun (which doesn't seem to be high on the rejection list currently) is the biggest killer on an RP acceptance BUT considering that and with some further editing the shot could be brightened up. Mining camper has given you a good start.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
RobJor

OP - all you have to do is go through the daily offering and it is clear no sun on the nose, you are uphill lot, maybe a little wider, less nose but the light is not good and setting is a zero. Certainly exceptions, could almost be a screeners choice if.......
Image © spacetrain1983
PhotoID: 703122
Photograph © spacetrain1983

Drone - I was going to post that one but hesitated, at least the subject is clear and the setting is nice. I thought it is interesting city found this place rather than the back of some park. Not a generic rail yard with a lot of parking lots.

Curiosity tho, what are the criterion for drone shots. Are many rejected we don't know about?

It is almost square, didn't check if it fits the rules.
Including the horizon, is this considered desirable for drone shots or is it a RP"s thing, ie it is level at the horizon.

Distortion correction? Don't know much about drone cameras but seem if you were lower and less wide the distortion would be a lot less but maybe that is a function of his equipment.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Drone - I was going to post that one but hesitated, at least the subject is clear and the setting is nice. I thought it is interesting city found this place rather than the back of some park. Not a generic rail yard with a lot of parking lots.
We will just have to disagree here.

Quote:
Curiosity tho, what are the criterion for drone shots. Are many rejected we don't know about?
I think the bar is still quite low at this time since UAV is still a relatively new field.

Quote:
Including the horizon, is this considered desirable for drone shots or is it a RP"s thing, ie it is level at the horizon.
Hopefully not. Looks to me like people aren't thinking out their compositions with UAVs. The game plan doesn't appear to get past go high and click the shutter.

Quote:
Distortion correction? Don't know much about drone cameras but seem if you were lower and less wide the distortion would be a lot less but maybe that is a function of his equipment.
DJI cameras have a wide FOV and anywhere from bad to terrible distortion depending on AOA. It's easy to adjust in processing if you compose (ha) to account for it. Otherwise you're stuck with shots that look like Earth is sliding into a void off camera at the bottom of the shots.

Loyd L.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
Joseph Cermak

Yeah some drone cameras are better than others with respect to the wide angle. I've found reasonable luck making sure to compose with keeping the subject/train away from any of the frame edges and then cropping down a bit to help a lot with that distortion.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:12 AM   #14
JT Photography

Alright I'll bite.

I was on vacation in Pensacola and had just finished following an FGA train and decided to make a stop here while I was in the area before heading back to the beach. Lighting wasn't the best but I decided to go on and post since there are no other photos of 1355 on RP. I am not a major steam fan and in no way intended to leave the beach just to come back for better lighting. If this had been marked high lighting I would not have appealed.

My photos are stitches of several photos I take from the same location. This image is composed of 4 photos. 2 on the top - 2 on the bottom. This allows me to capture the scene around the train while still being close enough to record some detail on the train. However, RP is a low resolution site - when I downsize 4 images to the size of a 2mb image a lot of that detail is gone. Despite this RP doesn't seem to have an issue with it. My personal rule is that I should be able to read the engine number or I am to far away - although I have made exceptions to that rule on occasion. When the full original image is viewed plenty of detail can be gained from zooming in on it. Since all these images are stitched together for a larger composition the ability to correct distortion is gone - attempting to correct it turns the horizon into an S-shape (or at least every time I try to correct with a DJI Profile on lightroom). It has never bothered me enough to go out of my way to find an alternative way to correct it. Perhaps I shall try to find a way to now. Suggestions are welcome.

As for getting lower, I prefer not to tangle with trees and power lines or potentially distract a driver just for a photo. Flying at 20 ft AGL is nerve wracking and just an accident waiting to happen. I suppose I might be a little obsessed about the horizon - but there is something about having it there that just makes it seem more appealing then a random end with cut off houses and trees.

Go on youtube and look at the videos of idiots flying their drones thousands of feet into the air. Drone use will not last forever. In my personal opinion, sometime within the next few years, there will be a major accident ending recreational drone use. You either won't be able to fly at all or it will be a operational nightmare going as far as having to talk to an air traffic controller. I personally intend to to use my drone all I can before then.

Personal opinion part here. Yours will be different. I personally know what an SD70MAC (just an example here - I realize a 2-8-2 is a bit different) looks like. I could go the rest of my life without seeing one again and still know exactly what they look like. For that reason I have never cared for most of the wedge shots that litter this site (nothing against them, they serve there purpose, but still). That being said there are people here who take ground level photos that I could never even hope to take. The scenery around the railroad is what makes a photo unique. While I incorporate more scenery than most, I feel that 50-60 years from now viewers will be glad I did as they will be able to see how much these places have changed. I would say that 80% of my drone photos pass the screeners while only about 15% of my ground level photos do. On ground level photos I constantly get hit with PAQ's and wide compositions and other issues. I long ago decided that the screeners prefer my aerials and have attempted to submit ground level photos less and less. Personally I would not feel attacked if the screeners got more strict on drone photos. I see drone photos on here where only 2 locomotives are visible and the rest of the train is obscured by trees and I personally wander what that pilot was even thinking when he lined up the shot.

BTW I don't ever campaign. IF I were going to I would link photos to my personal site not here (for obvious reasons). Attached is a close up for all to view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DJI_0001-5_stitch-2-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	9742  
JT Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #15
Decapod401

Quote:
DJI cameras have a wide FOV and anywhere from bad to terrible distortion depending on AOA. It's easy to adjust in processing if you compose (ha) to account for it. Otherwise you're stuck with shots that look like Earth is sliding into a void off camera at the bottom of the shots.

Loyd L.
I see that DJI now has an offering with a Hasselblad camera. The few photos that I have seen are on Flickr, and seem to be better than average, but the photos that I've seen seem to be more from the perspective that most of us here prefer and I've seen good results with DJI cameras (you posted one a few weeks ago) at a more normal perspective with correction. That said, I wonder if the focal length is longer that the DJI cameras.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:40 AM   #16
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Photography View Post

I would say that 80% of my drone photos pass the screeners while only about 15% of my ground level photos do. On ground level photos I constantly get hit with PAQ's and wide compositions and other issues. I long ago decided that the screeners prefer my aerials and have attempted to submit ground level photos less and less.
So what you're saying is that you have abandoned conventional shooting in favor of high-perspective drone photography to get photos accepted on RP. As it is, you are just doing the same thing as the guys who constantly submit those wedgies that you eschew by submitting a bunch of look-alike photos, albeit from a different perspective than the wedgie shooters.

I suggest that you work on honing your ground level photography skills. You will be surprised how much better your drone photography will become.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 08-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
KevinM

First, let me apologize to Spacetrain for hijacking his thread. My fault for digressing. I do think his basic questions about the image under discussion were addressed by those of us who commented. In general, the shot could be made more appealing with better editing, but in the end, RP might still choose not to include it in the database here. Still, if you see something unusual, Spacetrain, by all means shoot it and hang on to it.

Quote:
As for getting lower, I prefer not to tangle with trees and power lines or potentially distract a driver just for a photo. Flying at 20 ft AGL is nerve wracking and just an accident waiting to happen. I suppose I might be a little obsessed about the horizon - but there is something about having it there that just makes it seem more appealing then a random end with cut off houses and trees.
Hopefully, the discussion that Loyd and I were engaging in did not come across as a criticism of your work in particular. Rather, I think we were just expressing a mutual frustration that drone pilots in general, fly too high and shoot at angles which we personally believe to be too extreme to be pleasing at all. I found the aerial of the steam locomotive to be a great example of what I mean. Honestly, its an aerial of a neighborhood, not really a railroad shot. Yes, I can tell there's a steam engine there, but without your data telling me it's a Mikado type, I never would have known that from the photo. I guess in my mind, if I can't see any of the machinery on that steam engine, I don't find it of value as a railroad photo. Just my opinion, as a guy who spends most of his vacation traveling the country to shoot steam.

While I don't own a drone, I have thought about getting one, not as a primary camera, but as a tool in the bag, to be used in those situations when there just isn't a ground-based camera position from which I can frame the desired scene. I would use a drone as a replacement for the hill that's not there, or the overpass I wish were there, or the boat I don't own. I would probably never get about 100 ft.......and be at 20 ft. most of the time. I would also probably never shoot more than 45 degrees below level and I consider even that to be a bit extreme. I've been flying fixed wing airplanes for over 35 years and I've often been asked why I don't shoot trains from the air. The most obvious answer is that I'm too busy flying the airplane , but I also think the perspective is just not appealing. It's great for hurricane damage assessment photography......for railfan shots not so much.

Quote:
Go on youtube and look at the videos of idiots flying their drones thousands of feet into the air. Drone use will not last forever. In my personal opinion, sometime within the next few years, there will be a major accident ending recreational drone use. You either won't be able to fly at all or it will be a operational nightmare going as far as having to talk to an air traffic controller. I personally intend to to use my drone all I can before then.
I think your assessment is spot-on. With relatively little regulation and the price of admission pretty darn low, just about anyone can go down to Best Buy and come home with the tools to really cause a tragedy. All you have to do is observe highway traffic for 5 minutes and you'll conclude that a substantial percentage of the public doesn't possess the common sense to operate automobiles safely, much less fly in the National Airspace System. I see violations of the very basic drone regulations all the time (flying near crowds, flying over stadiums, and yes, flying near airports too.) During the recent Big Boy event out in Wyoming and Utah, I really feared for the safety of the Sheriff's Department helo pilots who were monitoring the event.....because I knew the air was thick with drones. There has already been one documented collision between a DJI and a helicopter. Fortunately, the helo was a military UH-60 Blackhawk and the damage was survivable. It the machine had been a Robinson, or something with a much lighter rotor system, the results could have been different. Take a look at this NTSB report on the incident and take note of what they say about the drone pilot. If this Blackhawk had crashed, you'd probably already be looking at much heavier regulation.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...=HTML&IType=IA

My RP stuff is here.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

Quote:

My photos are stitches of several photos I take from the same location. This image is composed of 4 photos. 2 on the top - 2 on the bottom. This allows me to capture the scene around the train while still being close enough to record some detail on the train.
Not really understanding the reasoning for needing to stitch here. I can read the boards fine from 250' agl and 400 ft dfs with a single frame from my crappy little spark. I assume you're attempting to print / sell them (Hope you're 107 cert.), but there shouldn't be any issue with up to an 11x14 print with just a single frame.

Quote:
Since all these images are stitched together for a larger composition the ability to correct distortion is gone - attempting to correct it turns the horizon into an S-shape (or at least every time I try to correct with a DJI Profile on lightroom). It has never bothered me enough to go out of my way to find an alternative way to correct it. Perhaps I shall try to find a way to now. Suggestions are welcome.
This is the part where composition comes into play. Absurd angles need to be avoided when shooting. If you're going to stitch, then you need to stay under 180 degrees FOV horizontal and 60 vertical and less is desirable. I don't use lightroom, but I've had no trouble correcting 12 frames comps using the correction tools in PSE.

Quote:
The horizon is fine so long as the Earth isn't falling into an off-axis oblivion below.

Quote:
Personal opinion part here. Yours will be different. I personally know what an SD70MAC (just an example here - I realize a 2-8-2 is a bit different) looks like. I could go the rest of my life without seeing one again and still know exactly what they look like. For that reason I have never cared for most of the wedge shots that litter this site (nothing against them, they serve there purpose, but still). That being said there are people here who take ground level photos that I could never even hope to take. The scenery around the railroad is what makes a photo unique. While I incorporate more scenery than most, I feel that 50-60 years from now viewers will be glad I did as they will be able to see how much these places have changed. I would say that 80% of my drone photos pass the screeners while only about 15% of my ground level photos do. On ground level photos I constantly get hit with PAQ's and wide compositions and other issues. I long ago decided that the screeners prefer my aerials and have attempted to submit ground level photos less and less. Personally I would not feel attacked if the screeners got more strict on drone photos. I see drone photos on here where only 2 locomotives are visible and the rest of the train is obscured by trees and I personally wander what that pilot was even thinking when he lined up the shot.
Do as you wish but there is an unspoken message in photos with thousands of views and only a handful of likes. People aren't clicking for the wow, they are clicking for the wtf.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 08-02-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #19
RobJor

Going back to technique, I somewhat defended the photo originally but....

Some of the Aerials cover a large area and I can see the multiple images but in this case why include half the the city? I have no objection to including part of the neighborhood as it provides context to the display just as some woods out in the middle of nowhere. Personally I think the distorting is intentional to attract attention. It seems obvious that a single image at a lower angle would have worked, a residential area like this just doesn't have tall interference and a guy in a car is not going to hear the buzzing.

Documenting is a valid issue. I belong to the Milwaukee Road HS and regular part are aerial photos done professionally for the company but that does not cut it here.

Dumb question, the stitching is done by some program. Way back I learned to do that manually.

Bob Jordan

I didn't see loyds note until after I posted mine.

Last edited by RobJor; 08-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #20
JT Photography

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you have abandoned conventional shooting in favor of high-perspective drone photography to get photos accepted on RP. As it is, you are just doing the same thing as the guys who constantly submit those wedgies that you eschew by submitting a bunch of look-alike photos, albeit from a different perspective than the wedgie shooters.
Not quite what I said, but I get your point. Still, I carry my camera with me just as much as the drone and have just as many ground-level photos on my hard drive as aerials. Did not mean any offense to wedge shots and fully agree comparing them to most drone shots is like apples and oranges. I personally just prefer the drone shot. Opinions will vary.

Not to digress further but here is a recent reject of mine. Not the best but felt it would make the cut. I have already sharpened it a lot and felt it was sharper than some others that make it on. Oh well. Perhaps I will downsize and selectively sharpen a little more and resubmit later on.
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...98&key=4484319

Quote:
I think your assessment is spot-on.
Thank you Kevin. I can only imagine the terror of those helicopter pilots and any other pilots who come face to face with a drone. I hope another collision nevers occurs, but I fear it is inevitable.

Quote:
I assume you're attempting to print / sell them (Hope you're 107 cert.)
107 certified and happily have all my registrations numbers engraved on the drone. Recently been talking to the Batesville Chamber of Commerce as they want large copies of the Christmas Train that runs through their town. Done similar things with other cities.

Quote:
but I've had no trouble correcting 12 frames comps using the correction tools in PSE.
I have always used Windows ICE as I feel it gives better control than PSE. I just ran Lens Correction on several photos in PSE but not seeing much of a difference. Is this the tool you are referring to?

Quote:
Personally I think the distorting is intentional to attract attention. It seems obvious that a single image at a lower angle would have worked
I personally don't think distortion is that obvious in the thumbnail but ok. As I said I don't like flying lower than the altitude seen here. Even standing right by the drone on take off from 0-50ft AGL signal is patchy - at least with a Phantom 3 - hopefully this was fixed on later models. Residential areas also have plenty of lower-level signal blocking residential-WiFi along with cell towers located nearby. It would be in rural areas where one would expect the "ideal" low-altitude signal strength.
JT Photography is offline   Reply With Quote