Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Sean Mathews

Default Angle, Going Away

It's hard ot be unique at a chartered event, so I always look for opportunities for something different. Thought this might fit the bill, but got slapped with the going away rejection. Interestingly it says exceptions are made for artistic or unique shots. I figured this would fall in to those categories. I guess not.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...48&key=8850468
Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

The bar for going away shots has always been quite high here.

I'm going to guess that a reverse wedgie isn't going to be in their 'unique' exception list.

Did you go anything close in with the engineer looking out of the cab? a minimized composition using the cab and exhaust as elements might work out better for you.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 10-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The bar for going away shots has always been quite high here.

I'm going to guess that a reverse wedgie isn't going to be in their 'unique' exception list.

Did you go anything close in with the engineer looking out of the cab? a minimized composition using the cab and exhaust as elements might work out better for you.

Loyd L.
I can try and crop tighter but unfortunately at this point it was about 7 and the light had pretty much faded. The fact I was able to get the driver with no blur was somewhat of an accomplishment, as you can see the shutter speed was slow... Oh well...
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Grewup on the CW

Another going away was just accepted, taken 15 mins earlier than yours the day before and in color. The weather was better so that may have played into the lighting vs your pic. Is your shot completely overcast? The B&W is fitting considering the rolling stock and engine, it should have got the acceptance nod on those points.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Another going away was just accepted, taken 15 mins earlier than yours the day before and in color. The weather was better so that may have played into the lighting vs your pic. Is your shot completely overcast? The B&W is fitting considering the rolling stock and engine, it should have got the acceptance nod on those points.
Overcast and dark... which honestly I think adds to the atmosphere of the image. I might appeal... but we all know how that goes...
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mathews View Post
I might appeal... but we all know how that goes...
The rejection reason isn't really arguable though. The image is not exactly creative in composition or editing, and I feel confident that most charter photographers captured very similar shots over the course of the event for no other reason than digital film is cheap and there's nothing else to do. I've did a handful of charters and took many frames that have absolutely nothing going for them and will never be shown because of that.

The image that CW is referencing (Dennis' shot I believe) has the primary subject closer in, with a decent color and sky in the rear of the composition for support. At any rate a point and bark about another shot getting in argument isn't effective here.

Loyd L.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Sean Mathews

Either way, its not that big of a deal. I have plenty of more images, most a lot different than what others shot...
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
The rejection reason isn't really arguable though. The image is not exactly creative in composition or editing, and I feel confident that most charter photographers captured very similar shots over the course of the event for no other reason than digital film is cheap and there's nothing else to do. I've did a handful of charters and took many frames that have absolutely nothing going for them and will never be shown because of that.

The image that CW is referencing (Dennis' shot I believe) has the primary subject closer in, with a decent color and sky in the rear of the composition for support. At any rate a point and bark about another shot getting in argument isn't effective here.

Loyd L.
I was referring to Dennis' shot as an example that going away can and does get on but I was trying to point out that even though both were shot within 15 minutes of each other and they were just one day apart, the weather was totally different and (I believe) played the deciding factor in getting the nod or in Sean case, not getting the nod.
Then again it could just be the screener.....and I know all to well about playing the "similar shot already go on" card does not work. My appeal record is just as win less as the 0-5 Snyder Deadskins ....
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Loyd L.
Sean's image is not really a going-away shot, but rather, a rear quarter shot of a stopped locomotive and consist. It is interesting in that it depicts a mixed train with an N&W "Mollie" on point, which is not exactly common. That said, it doesn't depict any particular action (train is not backing up), and at least I personally am not a fan of making it a B&W. B&W's work best when they are extra contrasty, and I don't find this image in that category. Still, I am a bit surprised it got the boot. A lot of slack is typically cut for steam photos (hey, they let ME post ), and charters in particular.

WRT Dennis' image, I think Loyd is referring to this one:
Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 712465
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

Whereas Sean's image is documentary in nature, Dennis' definitely crosses into the "arty" realm, taking full advantage of post-sunset lighting, deep shadows, silhouettes....and the crew doing some classic things, such as watering their locomotive. It HAS to be rear-quarter to depict the actions and the lighting that it does. It has a lot of elements and the composition is excellent. If I'd been screening, I probably would have given it an SC, although that would have been very unlikely with the RP Staff given that there already is an SC/PoTW from the same charter.

BTW, Dennis' shot was taken Saturday evening, when the weather was significantly better than it was the following evening. Dennis was not on the train Saturday, but rather, waiting at the station. Those of us on the train never had an opportunity to capture that scene, because the 611 train was blocking the main, while our 475 train was waiting just outside the yard.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-10-2019 at 07:08 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Sean's image is not really a going-away shot, but rather, a rear quarter shot of a stopped locomotive and consist. It is interesting in that it depicts a mixed train with an N&W "Mollie" on point, which is not exactly common. That said, it doesn't depict any particular action (train is not backing up), and at least I personally am not a fan of making it a B&W. B&W's work best when they are extra contrasty, and I don't find this image in that category. Still, I am a bit surprised it got the boot. A lot of slack is typically cut for steam photos (hey, they let ME post ), and charters in particular.

Whereas Sean's image is documentary in nature, Dennis' definitely crosses into the "arty" realm, taking full advantage of post-sunset lighting, deep shadows, silhouettes....and the crew doing some classic things, such as watering their locomotive. It HAS to be rear-quarter to depict the actions and the lighting that it does. It has a lot of elements and the composition is excellent. If I'd been screening, I probably would have given it an SC, although that would have been very unlikely with the RP Staff given that there already is an SC/PoTW from the same charter.

BTW, Dennis' shot was taken Saturday evening, when the weather was significantly better than it was the following evening. Dennis was not on the train Saturday, but rather, waiting at the station. Those of us on the train never had an opportunity to capture that scene, because the 611 train was blocking the main, while our 475 train was waiting just outside the yard.
Oh, Dennis's is hands down better, for sure. He had the weather on his side, and again, actual rail ops in action.

Had I been able to get a cleaner shot closer to the driver looking back, it might have been a different situation. I might try to crop tighthr and go color, but again... I've got plenty of others, and considering one of my double header pan shots made it into the T24, I'm happier than I should be...
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 AM   #11
TedG

Sean,
I think you just pissed the screener off by referring to the engineer as a "driver".
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:27 AM   #12
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Passionate disliker of large signatures and watermarks here. Did Dennis really need to place his signature atop the equipment where the viewer can't help but find it a distraction?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 AM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Passionate disliker of large signatures and watermarks here. Did Dennis really need to place his signature atop the equipment where the viewer can't help but find it a distraction?
Concur on that. If I were posting this particular image, I would have at least put the watermark on the opposite side, where there is dead-space. I typically pick the dead side for mine.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Sean,
I think you just pissed the screener off by referring to the engineer as a "driver".
/Ted
European shots do have a lower acceptance rate.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I think this makes the second time we've agreed on something! I loathe watermarks and signatures on any photo.

Loyd L.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Sean,
/Ted
That was a good one! Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
European shots do have a lower acceptance rate.
Drivers and controllers and bank engines oh my!

Loyd L.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Sean,
/Ted
Ahhhhh. I knew it was something. My love for British trains and the three years I lived there as a child in the 80s has come back to haunt me.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #18
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
I don't like watermarks either. I am going to have to fire my assistant.

I have been here since 2004 and as ever, the screeners and their process is inscrutable.

I re-uploaded non-water marked images. All were rejected.

I am clueless why.

I am afraid you all will suffer my watermark for the time being.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #19
vcode455

Actually I think I like Sean's shot better, even though both are good. Has a Phil Hastings feel to it. I would have approved it in a heartbeat.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #20
Decapod401

Quote:
Sean,
/Ted
I'm surprised that Sean didn't piss off the screener by saying that a steam locomotive was "idling".

They don't even say that in the UK!

Image © Sean Mathews
PhotoID: 713274
Photograph © Sean Mathews

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 10-18-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I'm surprised that Sean didn't piss off the screener by saying that a steam locomotive was "idling".

They don't even say that in the UK!

Image © Sean Mathews
PhotoID: 713274
Photograph © Sean Mathews
I don't rail speak that well... I just take pictures and watch them go by...
Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mathews View Post
I don't rail speak that well... I just take pictures and watch them go by...

Same here! I usually have to do a search to determine what locomotive I shot before uploading here.

Loyd L.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #23
RobJor

Quote:
I never use watermark but maybe someone knows, is there some default? if you don't change the positions for each submit.
Here is good photographer with three from SD which I happened to interested in esp this ghost town. He has two others with the copyright only off to the side and this one with the Railpics logo and the copyright right in the middle essentially ruining the image aesthetically.

Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 713410
Photograph © Craig Williams

Bob

This what rest of town looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JordanOwankaEmail.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	882.3 KB
ID:	9763  

Last edited by RobJor; 10-18-2019 at 08:04 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote