Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Diamond D

Default Taking a picture of a train you can't see

AKA Why a step ladder should be in a railfan's trunk

I had a very specific shot in mind on a recent trip, based on a trail I had seen on google maps. I found the trail, got excited for what would surely be a great view, and promptly found myself on the set of "Field of Dreams" expecting to hear voices at any moment telling me to build a ball field... or maybe a turn table? This view was not exactly showcasing the trestle the way I imagined

Anyway, after mentally evaluating my other options for well-lit shots in the area, I came to the conclusion that there were no other spots that suited my taste, so I had to do something here. So, I made the 10 minute walk back to my car, grabbed my monopod, and ventured back into the field to "problem solve".

Putting the camera on the fully-extended monopod, then holding it as high up in the air as I could, I realized I could just clear the tops of the corn (this farmer should be very proud of his crop). And putting the camera on self-timer, I was able to get a decent shot after some aiming practice.

But the problem remained, I couldn't actually SEE the train, or the bridge - at all. Getting one shot on the self-timer and leaving it all to chance seemed like a huge gamble. But then I remembered a often-neglected tool in my bag, the remote shutter release! Leaning back, balancing the monopod on my collarbone with one hand steadying it, extending my other arm out in front of me like a lunatic to properly aim the weak remote beam, I was able to fire off about a dozen shots based on the rumbling of the locos crossing the bridge, and managed to keep it level and fill the frame. Next time, I'll just go to Home Depot!

Image © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)
PhotoID: 244386
Photograph © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Wow, if that's not ingenuity, I don't know what is! And, to top it off, you got the shot. Great job and story!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

*applause*
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It worked, but a cable release and live view is the kicker. Came out well with some luck. A monopod is a old trick for news photographer's and sports.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
JimThias

Great job, Nick.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
WembYard

10 out of 10 for ingenuity
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D
Leaning back, balancing the monopod on my collarbone with one hand steadying it, extending my other arm out in front of me like a lunatic to properly aim the weak remote beam, I was able to fire off about a dozen shots based on the rumbling of the locos crossing the bridge, and managed to keep it level and fill the frame.
Nice story, and shot. Good thing it wasn't alongside a road..........the looks you would have got doing that would have been priceless

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
PLEzero

Nicely done. You managed to do a better job leveling the camera like that than I do looking through the viewfinder!
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Ween

A+ all around! Now if someone got a picture of you in the act, then that would be another layer of icing on the cake!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
Damaged

Its always cool to hear the stories behind the shots. Good catch.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I can't remember where I saw it but there is a product of a similar nature that has a monopod style build with a belt notch bottom tip that fits across your belt to hold it in place comfortably. It also featured a cable release built into the lower grip. I'm sure one could be rigged up out of an inexpensive monopod and some wiring added on to a cable release.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
KevinM

Amazing story Nick! Amazing not just because you tried it, but because it actually WORKED! People here talk about "pulling off a shot". This puts that saying in an entirely new light.

Personally though, I'm still seeking a source for the step ladder that Walter uses:

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237046
Photograph © WalterS

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

No I took that with a 50 foot long monopod Man that was sweet being able to use that man lift! I was looking at prices the other day and you can rent a towable manlift for about $450 a week, I am going to keep that in mind if there is ever a special occasion that it would work well at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Amazing story Nick! Amazing not just because you tried it, but because it actually WORKED! People here talk about "pulling off a shot". This puts that saying in an entirely new light.

Personally though, I'm still seeking a source for the step ladder that Walter uses:

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237046
Photograph © WalterS

Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
MTM9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
I was looking at prices the other day and you can rent a towable manlift for about $450 a week,
I had to rent one of those (not for railfanning) and it cost $625 for the week and that was $25 dollars cheaper than the next cheapest company. You should count your blessings that they are that cheap where you live.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #15
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

The phone, electric and cable companies often have bucket trucks in the local auto auction near here, and I've been tempted on more than one occasion to pick one up just for this reason. I've even daydreamed about a paint scheme that would visually answer everyone's questions as to why this nut is 20 feet in the air with a camera.

You know you are old when the first car you owned is now considered a "Classic".
TonytheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote