Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Question Any ideas as to why?

I purchased these 3 photos and a few more from a collection a few weeks ago. The seller stated that usage came with the photos. So I am asking if anyone has any idea as to why these were all rejected without reason. I know if taken today, that these are not the RP standard, but thought that there is leniency given on vintage photos. Or, am I biased and seeing something that isn't really there, being that these are from my local area...which no longer sees trains?

I also realize that some seem to think that "collection" photos should be entered under a different user name, like "Collection of...", but I only have a few and didn't see reason to start another acct. on RP for only a few photos. That is why I stated "From a collection" and listed the actual photographer in my photo remarks, and also stated this in my remarks to screener. Should I even bother with the 1930's and 40's B&O steamer photos?

Well anyway, here are the goods:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=118677824
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=932267295
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=850301&key=0
Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I think only the second shot fits RP's purposes, even with the leniency. The other shots just don't do it, especially the Chessie GP9. Chessie seems well represented on RP from this time period. About the "Collection of..." My take is that if you did not take the photograph, you shouldn't list it under your profile. It gets confusing. Personally, I woldn't want shots in my profile taken when I was eight or while everything else else is from my 20s on. I'd suggest doing another profile.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
JRMDC

No idea re the lack of rejection reason - it happens sometimes, technical glitch, but having it happen on all three suggests something else might be going on.

chessie: noisy, not sharp - try doing some processing on it. If this is the best you can do, I say no for RP.

B&O: the same

Knox: really poor quality and only as "old" as 1993 so I don't see the point despite the special nature of the train. Remember, RP is about great pictures of trains, not pictures of great trains.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

The photos aren't great even for having age on their side. Having no name to attach to them really hurts them especially for RP purposes. Most of the collections of on RP are family members to the photographer that is submitting them.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
BartY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
chessie: noisy, not sharp - try doing some processing on it. If this is the best you can do, I say no for RP.
For those of you who have only shot digitally, that "noise" is called film grain.

It really can't be eliminated digitally without sacrificing some of the finer detail areas in the photograph. The first picture could have probably had a little better post-processing done to it, particularly in terms of contrast and maybe a little bit of sharpening. Of course, sharpening a picture like this will only emphasize the grain even more.
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Film grain and noise are pretty much the same thing and are processed almost the same way.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartY View Post
For those of you who have only shot digitally, that "noise" is called film grain.
For those of us who have photographed since the 1970s that is called poor image quality, a concept that spans generations and media.

Quote:
It really can't be eliminated digitally without sacrificing some of the finer detail areas in the photograph. The first picture could have probably had a little better post-processing done to it, particularly in terms of contrast and maybe a little bit of sharpening. Of course, sharpening a picture like this will only emphasize the grain even more.
As Travis said (sort-of!), analog noise is digital noise. Grain can be an attractive part of an image, especially BW. Too bad it is not in this case.

I have reduced noise on probably every scanned slide I have uploaded here.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The other shots just don't do it, especially the Chessie GP9. Chessie seems well represented on RP from this time period.
OK, thanks guys. I guess I'll stick to processing digital, and file the paper scans elsewhere.

Joe, So you're saying that since GE wide cabs, SP 8444, NKP 765, etc... are WAAAAYYYYY well represented on RP in 2010, that in 2040 (when the 2nd generation Chrises take over) there won't be a need for "vintage 2010" photos on RP?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Joe, So you're saying that since GE wide cabs, SP 8444, NKP 765, etc... are WAAAAYYYYY well represented on RP in 2010, that in 2040 (when the 2nd generation Chrises take over) there won't be a need for "vintage 2010" photos on RP?
I meant that since the Chessie System era is well represented on RP from that era, then they probably wouldn't take something with that much noise and grain. In thirty years, if someone is sharing their GEVO shots for the first tie and they don't meet RP's requirements, they should be rejected as well. Consider your bought shot of BO 6458 with this one from two years prior

Image © Mike Woodruff
PhotoID: 4638
Photograph © Mike Woodruff

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 09-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
I'm not Joe, but that's an interesting question. My guess is that there will not be such a need and poorer quality photos from 2010 will not be welcome on RP. There will be nothing unusual about such shots to warrant them a looser standard based on a historical interest criterion. If it does not make it now, it won't make it then.

Or maybe I think that because that is how I would run the website?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I'm not Joe, but that's an interesting question. My guess is that there will not be such a need and poorer quality photos from 2010 will not be welcome on RP. There will be nothing unusual about such shots to warrant them a looser standard based on a historical interest criterion. If it does not make it now, it won't make it then.

Or maybe I think that because that is how I would run the website?
I'm with Janus on this... the way to share images in the 1978 was that you went to a railfan club slideshow. Maybe you would trade slides (and the rules for slide trading were frankly damn close to the rules for RP... sunny, well lit, had to be shot on Kodachrome, etc.) Really wish I'd been a slide trader back then, which would have forced me to change a lot of my bad film and shooting habits from the time.

Anyway, I've gone off topic... as to what the interest will be twenty years from now in a mediocre JPEG of a wide cab wedgie... I think there will be none. I believe that our ability to share our images today to such a massive audience and to do so in a format that is frankly so easy to duplicate, ensures that there will always be a plethora of top quailty shots to share.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote