Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default Being a good railfan

I am railfanning today at Point of Rocks MD and as train 29 came through, I noticed that the baggage car door was open enough that a bag could fall out.

I promptly called Amtrak police to have them notify the conductor to check it at Harpers Ferry.

Anyone else have any situations like that?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Ween

I called in a trespasser riding in a coal train once. When the crew got the word from the dispatcher, the crew initially thought it was me as they saw me standing on a rural bridge as they passed underneath; they thought I jumped off the bridge into the hopper.

I did leave my name and number with the BNSF call-in folks and the next day the District (?) Manager called to thank me and he ended up mailing me a gift card to Perkins! Totally unexpected, but it's nice they view railfans as assets at times...
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

I have called in time after time the many automatic warning device malfunctions that happen here. Also, if I notice people dinking around on the tracks, I usually find myself calling local police, as I do not want these people wrecking it for me and the other railfans in my area.

A couple months ago, I was standing on the "public" side of the tracks, and on the Railroad side of the tracks, is the yard office. A gentelman came out and questioned me. He was just concerned about me going over the other side to mess around. I explained that I was just here for photos. OK, so I left and shortly came back to the same spot. He came back out and told me that I was worrying him. He asked what I did with my photos, and I said, "It's just a hobby". So then he asks if anyone had ever given me any railroad pins or anything, and I immediatly said "no" (Even though this has occoured many times ) So he goes inside, and gives me 2 Canadian Pacific Oylimpic pins, and his business card. He was Canadian Pacific's Chicago service area general manager.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
crazytiger

Daniel, you don't need to lie to him.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Amtrakdavis22

Once while in Davis I was watching the Coast Starlight #11 come through. I noticed the Pacific Parlour Car Door was open. As the train rolled by a conductor was leaning out the window so I yelled to him that it was open, he said "Oh Crap, Thanks!". I'm guessing he closed it before they hit 79mph just outside of town.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Well he did...Nothing you can do about it. Plus the "8th Grade Advanced English" kid shouldn't have so called "worried" the man that bad. How much harm could an 8th Grader do with a camera?
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I feel this comment was unnecesary, but, you never know who this type of person is, and I'm not going to give away the fact that I know other railroad employees, especially to "The Big Boss".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
Well he did...Nothing you can do about it. Plus the "8th Grade Advanced English" kid shouldn't have so called "worried" the man that bad. How much harm could an 8th Grader do with a camera?
Wrong, I am now a 9th grade Pre-IB English student.

Edit: You guys seem to think that I lie about my class schedule...why would I do that? Honestly, that is really stupid. It's not my fault if you don't believe me. In any case, NEXT SUBJECT...continue with the intentions of the thread.

Last edited by Soo 6060; 10-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
crazytiger

Whatever, I'll let it slide. I hope others do too.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
coborn35

Peter, just knock it off. Your bickering with Daniel about every little thing is starting to get annoying. Just leave him alone.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Peter, just knock it off. Your bickering with Daniel about every little thing is starting to get annoying. Just leave him alone.
Agreed. Its getting old.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
NS-Norfolk

Default Calling the RR Emergency Number

Sure have,

NS 23G came through Suffolk EB with a 2nd deck stack container whose load had shifted, making the car lean to one side. I doubted it would clear the bridge 12 miles away they would be crossing and called the NS "800" emergency number. Passed the information, 3 minutes later heard the dispatcher slow the train and had a WB do a careful run-by. They saw the container/car at issue but thought it would clear the bridge.

We're in NS and CSX country here. I keep both numbers in my cell just in case.

You did the right thing, IMHO. Makes a better name for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I am railfanning today at Point of Rocks MD and as train 29 came through, I noticed that the baggage car door was open enough that a bag could fall out.

I promptly called Amtrak police to have them notify the conductor to check it at Harpers Ferry.

Anyone else have any situations like that?

Canon EOS 5D MKII | Canon F1n + Assorted FD Glass
Canon EF20-35mm | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF28-135mm IS | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L | Canon EF 300mm f4.0L

Chesapeake, VA

My Photos at: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=33016
NS-Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
lock4244

I once got a train surfer arrested riding the top of a covered hopper on a CN freight. I wonder if he got some good video of the train stopping at the crossing to meet the police?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
RobSartain

Nice stories, all.

Closest I ever came was on several occasions hearing crews radio tower operators asking for scores on key sports games like the Super Bowl or something like that. I would get the score, call the op on his city phone and he would relay the score to the crew. Nothing life-saving or anything like that.

Having railroad emergency numbers in a cell phone, as Chuck suggested, is a great idea!
RobSartain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
TAMR159

It is definitely a good idea to keep the emergency numbers handy. Aside from what has been mentioned here already, there are some train defects that need to be called in, such as a handbrake left on (sparks coming from the wheels, axles not rotating at all, won't be caught by most defect detectors), hot bearing (glowing red journal, or even molten white if it's about to disintegrate), dragging equipment (chain, brake rigging, or something else dragging along the ties), just to name some of the more critical ones...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
CSchulz

Just today, on the CN mainline in Southeastern Wisconsin, the gate on a crossing had been broken (unsrewed from signal) so I held off cars, and pointed to it as the engineer went by. I heard him on the scanner, radio in to the dispatcher that the gate was broken on that street and the dispatcher sent a maintenance truck and 20 minutes later before the next train they had fixed it. Great day railfanning!
CSchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
N. Herring

Last year my friend and I were in Black, TX (strange name, I know) when an approaching westbound radioed in that they had lost all contact with their DPU's saying they were showing no power at all, and that they were going to stop to check them out. We watched the train by and noticed the second DPU units head three axles were soaked with oil. We headed up to the front of the train where i got the conductor to come down so I could tell him what I found. We offered to give him a ride to the rear so he could see it for himself. He went back up to the cab for a few minutes and then came back down to tell me the train behind them was going to pull up and look at the units, but thanks anyway. We heard on the radio from the other conductor that they would have to "drag the anchor" with only 1 DP unit and switch it out in Clovis, NM some 30 miles away.

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote