Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Leveling Disagreement on Elevated Grade

Two shots hit with horizon unlevel. Both were leveled against objects center frame (ish) that I knew were straight. Pointed this out in comments to screener on the first one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=5600180

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...54&key=8239028
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Indecline

I normally shoot with a tripod or two and use a shot level on the camera(s). Make's it tough to dispute if the photo is level or not as long as the camera is level in the field.

DS
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
nikos1

Fence posts and lightposts are close to level according to the PS ruler, I'd say appeal.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
jnohallman

I have to say the second shot really doesn't do much for me, so I'd be tempted just to let that one go, but I'd say try an appeal for the first one.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Dr Jim Thias C.W. has offices in Michigan, though I believe he accepts consultation over either the phone or via e-mail. Prices are pretty good too, on per image basis.

Dr Loyd Lowry C.C.W., his understudy has opened a branch in West Virginia and also has reasonable rates.

Suggest you make an appointment.

From my experience, however, I've determined that sometimes it's not whether an image is level but instead whether it looks level. Take caution when making an appointment with the above two levelologists - the costs can escalate dramatically should any warping be necessary.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Hey Charles!

Look at me - I can level with the best of them now! I think I'll try to get certified later this year. (If only I could crop like a pro....)

This image is way off - holy smokes -> 1.22 degrees. Dare you show your face around these parts for at least a month! We're talking well over a 1,220 pubic monkey hairs.

Here's the corrected pic (Loyd or Jim are welcome to chime in should I be a monkey pubic hair off still - but I think I'm really close - maybe even RP standard-wise!). I used the ruler and determined the imbalance at .72 CW. I then went to Google Image to acquire a plumb tool which I then pasted as a separate layer and lined up against the center vertical handrail pole. I then arbitrarily rotated an additional .2. Still needing more, I went .2 more. I then found I needed to go .1 more and viola! Only took 15 minutes!

Here you go! Have a super fun time with the next - try it!

/Mitch

Name:  Charles Level Plumb.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  642.7 KB
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Here's the third party freeware plumb 2.0 plug in:

http://waterburyucc.files.wordpress....7/plumbbob.jpg

/Mitch
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Here's the corrected pic (Loyd or Jim are welcome to chime in should I be a monkey pubic hair off still - but I think I'm really close - maybe even RP standard-wise!).
What I really want to know is, does this monkey pubic hair belong to the same one-armed monkey that can score a screener's choice any time it takes a picture west of the Mississippi?

Hey, Charles, it looks good to me. This is the dead center of the image:

Name:  charles.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  225.3 KB

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

I appealed the first one and abandoned the second one (which looks like it would go great in a "This is Culver City" brochure - he he).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Two shots hit with horizon unlevel. Both were leveled against objects center frame (ish) that I knew were straight. Pointed this out in comments to screener on the first one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=5600180

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...54&key=8239028
In the future, I suppose we'll have to submit an excerpt from the official track profile for the line, plus a clip from a USGS 7.5 minute quad map to avoid this kind of foolishness. They look fine to me....but, what the heck do I know?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
jnohallman

Something worked.

Image © Charles J Freericks
PhotoID: 415736
Photograph © Charles J Freericks

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
CSX1702

Geez, you guys have really been on the screeners over this leveling thing recently haven't you? If it's over 1 degree off or so it can be noticeable. Just level and resubmit. Although it does take a lot of time to redo everything you edited before that like cropping, contrast, blah, blah. But I don't really care if all the screeners care about is it being unlevel.

If there's anything that bothers me its when you correct an issue and they hit you with another one. That needs to stop.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #13
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
If there's anything that bothers me its when you correct an issue and they hit you with another one. That needs to stop.
You are SO right! Of course, this happens because one screener may see a shot, and gig it for something like unlevel. So the poor old photographer goes through all this anguish and finally levels it the best he can....and resubmits. So this time, another screener sees it, and....oh....well, well....I think the color is a bit off here, so you get another rejection for a different reason. Same process, and the shot is resubmitted. Only this time a third screener gets it, and he decides he doesn't like the cropping...

That's how it happens. The only way you might avoid this stuff is to add some notes to the screener (whichever one it is...) in the comments section. I'm known to offer frequent mini-editorials with my uploads.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
You are SO right! Of course, this happens because one screener may see a shot, and gig it for something like unlevel. So the poor old photographer goes through all this anguish and finally levels it the best he can....and resubmits. So this time, another screener sees it, and....oh....well, well....I think the color is a bit off here, so you get another rejection for a different reason. Same process, and the shot is resubmitted. Only this time a third screener gets it, and he decides he doesn't like the cropping...
What bothers me is that this can all happen in a matter of minutes which makes me think it's all the same screener.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
What bothers me is that this can all happen in a matter of minutes which makes me think it's all the same screener.
If that be the case....that's a shameful way to treat those who voluntarily take the time to upload (and thus donate) their images...
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
mersenne6

Ron and CSX I agree it is something of a bummer. I've had it work both ways - correct and reject for another reason either with a time lapse (say overnight) or within a short period of time.

The most unusual reject concerned the same setting but different angles and focal lengths. I corrected one image three times and then called it a day and the next morning I tried with a different image which had previously been dinged for darkened shadows only to have it judged and rejected (I think) on the basis of the set of attempts from the night before. As I said, it is disappointing but it happens. When it does I take consolation in the fact that I do get a reasonable percentage of my offerings accepted and I let it go.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Buses on tracks.

You know Charles, it would probably be easier for you if shot pictures of real trains instead of trams and buses on tracks.

That issue aside, I just turn the stupid picture until they accept it (yes, call me an RP whore).

One time I became so frustrated (going back and forth) that I finally e-mailed them and got a response as to which direction to turn the shot and it was finally accepted.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 353501
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

I think it is a lot like Dr. Thias telling me that shots taken by others at Pilgrim Hill (see my Avatar photo) in the Cajon Pass are crooked, even though he has never stood on that hill and I have spent hours there over the years and objects in the disputed images look plumb.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-24-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
...One time I became so frustrated (going back and forth) that I finally e-mailed them and got a response as to which direction to turn the shot and it was finally accepted...
I love it!!! It's like they want to take the camera out your hands and shoot it the way they think it should look. That's what gets me a little hot under the collar at times. I'm not seeking their advice. Just accept what I upload and don't question my judgment. (sure.......)

I was shooting train photos and having them published before these guys were born...literally. However, that counts for nothing.

That finishes my mini-rant for November 23, 2012...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Yup.

Quote:
It's like they want to take the camera out your hands and shoot it the way they think it should look.
Yes, such as this one.

Coming into Cadiz

They say it is cropped wrong and the subject is too far in the distance.

The conclusion I draw from that is that "they" don't understand what the subject is and what I intended to show - or I did a bad job in conveying it.

Perhaps one cannot comprehend the feeling of just how big the desert is. unless you walk around out in the central Mojave for a spell and take it all in.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
The conclusion I draw from that is that "they" don't understand what the subject is and what I intended to show - or I did a bad job in conveying it.

Perhaps one cannot comprehend the feeling of just how big the desert is. unless you walk around out in the central Mojave for a spell and take it all in.
I don't understand either, do tell!

(I would not have greater understanding if you would have moved one or two steps to the right and not had the engine right on top of the foreground elements, but I would have liked it better.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
Ron Flanary

You could do something like this:

Oh, wait! Now I'm doin' the same thing THEY do!! Sorry.

Forget it. I like the shot as it is (yes, I agree...the Mojave is a study of the "vastness of the infinite").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mojave.jpg (112.0 KB, 334 views)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Yuk yuk yuk.

Quote:
You could do something like this:

Oh, wait! Now I'm doin' the same thing THEY do!! Sorry.

Forget it. I like the shot as it is (yes, I agree...the Mojave is a study of the "vastness of the infinite").
I tried that version and the train (cause that is now the subject) was too far away - and I like those poles (I could do a shot of empty track with those poles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
.......... and not had the engine right on top of the foreground elements, but I would have liked it better.)
I worked real hard to get it there.

I have plenty of other frames from this sequence.

Perhaps I will crop one into a wedgie and submit it just to prove a point.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't understand either, do tell!
Quote:
I worked real hard to get it there.

I have plenty of other frames from this sequence.

Perhaps I will crop one into a wedgie and submit it just to prove a point.
I do wish you had tried to answer my question. What is your subject, what did you intend to show, and why was this composition the best means of doing that?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Ron Flanary

Quote:
I tried that version and the train (cause that is now the subject) was too far away - and I like those poles (I could do a shot of empty track with those poles).

That "train is too far away" standard is really bad. They should drop that (although they obviously don't listen to me ...).
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #25
jnohallman

Since this is the most recent thread about unlevel rejections, I just thought I'd point out this recent example of what must, in the screeners' eyes, be a perfectly level photo.

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 415934
Photograph © Dave Schauer

Let the ranting begin!

Jon