Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey

Default On RP for one week only!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...35&key=9730074

I guess this was rejected for not being railroad-y enough. A locomotive and less tree would have made it I think.

I, however, am a bad fan and have no idea how to find out when trains run here. I understand M&NJ is currently here but when I have no clue.

I'll include the shot so that in a week, the image will still be around. It drives me nuts whenever the thread has a long life (not that this one will last long) and you can't see what started it.

Name:  Warwick Station, Tree and Snow.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  334.1 KB

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

There is one screener who rejects all trains stations as PEQ and one who accepts them. Appeal.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
CSX1702

The story was about the station and the picture is about the tree. So, yeah, try to get a train in there next time. Lol.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
There is one screener who rejects all trains stations as PEQ and one who accepts them. Appeal.
Thanks Charles. Will do ole' buddy.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
JRMDC

You really need more foreground on this one for RP. For RP I think you need more of a sense of where the line had been, and the bottom crop takes that away.

Did you run out of focal length?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
JRMDC

It is also unlevel. I am thinking the pole on the left is not actually vertical and when you saw it line up vertical you figured you were done. The verticals in the center, the station itself, are not vertical.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #7
troy12n
Banned

What are we looking at here? I see a building, some more buildings, a tree, some snow. Nothing that grabs me as "railroad"... I dont even see a defined ROW.

And why B&W? If you have to, add some contrast.

And the parking lot and power line dont do anything for your shot, can you crop them out
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned

You want to see a real awesome shot for a limited time:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=5886145

lol
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
conrail1990

Nice Tree!
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You want to see a real awesome shot for a limited time:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=5886145

lol
I like where you are going with the shot Troy. I would venture to say that the problem are the trees "touching" the locomotives. Can you get anymore elevated?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Yes Charles, it sometimes feels that way!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...91&key=4837079

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...92&key=1543339

...or maybe it's just a black 'n' white thing...

Last edited by wds; 02-10-2014 at 11:18 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Cracks knuckles and begins analysis...

Dennis - it would appear to me that "bad crop" would be more fitting for an RP rejection. As Janusz and others stated, it's a bit tight on the bottom and to boot, it almost appears that ROW is no longer. While, unlike Troy, I can easily tell it's a train station, the station itself is a very small part of the image and seems to get lost not so much due to the tree, but the extraneous elements to the right and left. And, consequently, your subject also appears centered where it may be more pleasing presented on the first or third "third".

Put another way - yes, you are right, less tree, more station - train, however, optional.

Troy - I'm with Dennis on your image - trees "touching" and obstructing in a way not so appealing. Go higher, or maybe? Go much tighter so that the unobstructed nose is the primary focus.

W.D. - I happen to like the first "reject". Well done! Maybe resubmit but bring the building lower in the frame? If anything, you'll still get a chance to appeal either. The second - now that's the one not "railroady" enough. Looks like someone's porch and the grain car doesn't provide enough umph to get it over the hump.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You really need more foreground on this one for RP. For RP I think you need more of a sense of where the line had been, and the bottom crop takes that away.

Did you run out of focal length?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It is also unlevel. I am thinking the pole on the left is not actually vertical and when you saw it line up vertical you figured you were done. The verticals in the center, the station itself, are not vertical.
I shot this with my APS-C camera and 15mm semi-fish eye lens. I really liked the station and the tree, however, there was no more land for me to stand on because there was a dumpster plus a large creek preventing any more movement in that direction. So I gave up the ugly fence and some area on the bottom.
I used PS to straightened out the image and got the pole on the left right as well as the lamppost on the right standing up and down. The way the station looks after all this I must admit looks interesting to me and I am not seeing a true unlevel issue. By that I suppose there could be a RP unlevel issue but not a real world one.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

W.D. I like the first one a lot! Excellent powerful simple subject. It screams winter railroading to me. I would have accepted as is. But try Mitch's idea for it's more than worthy and even Top24 material.
I also agree on his assessment regarding the platform shot. I see what you wanted to do but it does not rise above snapshot interest here.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
wds

Thanks Mitch and Dennis. I'll let the first one rest and give it another working. I didn't think the second would fly, but decided to give it a try as if the first had made it this would have added to the story. No biggie. I did get a color shot similar to the first in, good enough for now:

Image © W. D. Shaw
PhotoID: 469181
Photograph © W. D. Shaw
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I like where you are going with the shot Troy. I would venture to say that the problem are the trees "touching" the locomotives. Can you get anymore elevated?
It was one of those shots that looked good in theory, but terrible in execution. And the only way to get elevation was a fire truck or bucket truck
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
JimThias

Both Dennis and Troy need a lot of elevation for their shots to work. I'd lend you guys my 25ft tripod, but you'd probably have so much fun with it I'd never see it again.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Both Dennis and Troy need a lot of elevation for their shots to work. I'd lend you guys my 25ft tripod, but you'd probably have so much fun with it I'd never see it again.
Ooo! Ooo! I wanna play with Jim's BIG tripod!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Ooo! Ooo! I wanna play with Jim's BIG tripod!
We'll leave you guys alone then.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Its a cool picture. Obviously the tree is the subject, as such I would want a bit more at the bottom to give it kind of a "base," for lack of a better word.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
CoryC

This maybe off topic, but could I get some advice on this photo?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=5241719

Thanks

Last edited by CoryC; 02-08-2014 at 07:52 PM.
CoryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryC View Post
This maybe off topic, but could I get some advice on this photo?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=5241719

Thanks
Nothing here is off topic.

The lighting conditions are not the best. Distracting shadows on the trailing unit and in front of the leading one.

Focus is poor, quality is lacking. It's just not sharp, depth of field is kind of lacking. What camera did you shoot it with?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #23
CoryC

Quote:
Nothing here is off topic.

The lighting conditions are not the best. Distracting shadows on the trailing unit and in front of the leading one.

Focus is poor, quality is lacking. It's just not sharp, depth of field is kind of lacking. What camera did you shoot it with?
Nikon D3100 18-55mm. It looked a bit sharper when I exported it from lightroom. I thought the light on the leading unit was kind of 'artistic'.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryC View Post
Nikon D3100 18-55mm. It looked a bit sharper when I exported it from lightroom. I thought the light on the leading unit was kind of 'artistic'.
There's nothing artistic about that. I know nothing about that camera. Were you shooting raw or jpeg? If jpeg, try shooting raw, you have more control over the processing. It just turns out better. But I think your largest problem is your shooting mode.

The shot was taken at 1/200 F5.6, ISO200 in Aperture priority mode

Every one of those settings is wrong. My first suggestion would be to understand how to expose a shot properly. I recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Petersen (sp?).

That combination of too slow shutter speed (unless you are on a tripod), too wide F-stop (shoot at F8, leave it there), and ISO200 (too low for those lighting conditions) led you to get a bad shot.

I am guessing the Nikon 18-55 is a kit lens. Kit lenses usually suck at less than F7.1.

Keeping the camera in aperture priority mode at F5.6 makes no sense. Why did you do this?

Finally shutter speed. For moving targets of just about any kind, try to at minimum get shutter speed of 1/400 or faster, preferably 1/500 or faster.

Which leads me to my next point, after you learn how to expose properly, use RAW, learn how your camera works. There is 3 or 4 basic modes,
"Aperture prioirty" which you set the camera to choose exposure settings, but it leaves aperture set to whatever you choose
"Shutter priority" which you set the camera to choose exposure settings, but it leaves shutter speed set to whatever you choose
Then there is "program" mode, which is some nosense I have never used, ever because it has no point
And finally MANUAL mode, which you choose all this stuff yourself, and use the light meter...

I use manual, most everyone else worth a damn does too.

You have a lot to learn, go learn...

Last edited by troy12n; 02-08-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
CoryC

Quote:
There's nothing artistic about that. I know nothing about that camera. Were you shooting raw or jpeg? If jpeg, try shooting raw, you have more control over the processing. It just turns out better. But I think your largest problem is your shooting mode.

The shot was taken at 1/200 F5.6, ISO200 in Aperture priority mode

Every one of those settings is wrong. My first suggestion would be to understand how to expose a shot properly. I recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Petersen (sp?).

That combination of too slow shutter speed (unless you are on a tripod), too wide F-stop (shoot at F8, leave it there), and ISO200 (too low for those lighting conditions) led you to get a bad shot.

I am guessing the Nikon 18-55 is a kit lens. Kit lenses usually suck at less than F7.1.

Keeping the camera in aperture priority mode at F5.6 makes no sense. Why did you do this?

Finally shutter speed. For moving targets of just about any kind, try to at minimum get shutter speed of 1/400 or faster, preferably 1/500 or faster.
Thank you for your suggestions. I do shoot raw. I like to keep my ISO as low as possible due to noise. But I will try a higher ISO next time. Also, I was probably shooting 5.6 without realizing it to allow more light and a faster shutter speed.

Last edited by CoryC; 02-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.