Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
ACR_Ted

Default Too Dark?

Rejected account too dark:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=5354825

If I were to lighten up the photo, the reflective stripes would wash out and then make a rather bland photo that likely would be rejected for PEQ (and deservedly so). The whole idea was to show the reflective stripes against a darker background with the last fading rays of daylight.

I am beginning to think that RP wants mostly sunny day wedgies (including mine), and doesn't want anything too far from that norm. And reading MBerry's thread on how the screeners don't even acknowledge his notes about the engine sinking into the ground with the buildings level in his photo makes me wonder how much time they actually spend looking at the images and comments in the queue. I once had a shot like that with an Apache Ry train going down a 2% grade rejected for unlevel....and appeal failed as well. Had I leveled the train the trees in the background would have been leaning in the opposite direction of the windblown clouds of Alco smoke

I think that maybe 30 seconds or so is all they spend on each photo .

Be that as it may.....

Ted
ACR_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_Ted View Post
Rejected account too dark:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=5354825

If I were to lighten up the photo, the reflective stripes would wash out and then make a rather bland photo that likely would be rejected for PEQ (and deservedly so). The whole idea was to show the reflective stripes against a darker background with the last fading rays of daylight.

I am beginning to think that RP wants mostly sunny day wedgies (including mine), and doesn't want anything too far from that norm. And reading MBerry's thread on how the screeners don't even acknowledge his notes about the engine sinking into the ground with the buildings level in his photo makes me wonder how much time they actually spend looking at the images and comments in the queue. I once had a shot like that with an Apache Ry train going down a 2% grade rejected for unlevel....and appeal failed as well. Had I leveled the train the trees in the background would have been leaning in the opposite direction of the windblown clouds of Alco smoke

I think that maybe 30 seconds or so is all they spend on each photo .

Be that as it may.....

Ted
Hi Ted,

Administration is certainly keeping an eye on the database, the images submitted, as well the exchange of comments/discussion through this community forum. I think your image would benefit from just a slight increase in exposure and maybe a tad bit of a color/saturation increase. Those are my personal comments.

I wouldn't give up on this image, as I like the concept of twilight/subtle lighting you've captured in the photo. There's a mood there, for sure.

As for your statement in that RP is only looking for sunlit wedge photos, please take a look at our two most recent Screener's Choice awards.

Thanks,
Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
nikos1

Not a fan, looks like hazy last light. Very flat and dull colors, nothing really unique about to justify accepting it.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Just look through my photos on here, and you'll realize quickly that they aren't just looking for sunny day wedgies.

That being said, I think your photo could benefit from some exposure / contrast / saturation work. It's a bit dull looking as it stands (from a lighting standpoint). I wouldn't go candyland on it, just some subtle bumps to enhance the mood.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

You know how you know it's too dark? The scotchlight decals are reflecting from your puny little flash...

In all honesty, the screeners got this one right
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb My thoughts.

Quote:
........I am beginning to think that RP wants mostly sunny day wedgies (including mine), and doesn't want anything too far from that norm.
You are mostly right, they do have a hard time with "out of the norm" shots, only yours is a quite standard 3/4 wedgie in the shadow.

It perhaps would have come out better if the train had arrived prior to the sun going behind the horizon, but it didn't and now you are in that few minutes between sunset and the blue hour which is more like 15 minutes.

It think your shot would have been loads better if it were a tad lighter, or somewhat darker.

And as for reflective tape shots, I'm not a big fan.

They usually seem to be an issue of a badly done image rather than someone's purposeful endeavor.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
ACR_Ted

Thanks for the comments guys....

Ted
Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Composition is poor. Perhaps that could be improved by cropping out the fence in the foreground. The blue light itself is fine, but the scotch light ruins it. But net net I am not sure there is enough of interest in the image to make it worthwhile to try to fix. i would go on to the next one.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
JimThias

I learned a new term today in this thread: "scotchlite" (googled for the correct spelling)

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #10
ACR_Ted

Now it is "blurry"....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...85&key=4888467

I did leave the fence in just so that some of the control freaks wouldn't claim I was 'on the property' taking that photo. Yes I've heard that before

Think I'll just stick to the sunny day wedgie type shots...they almost always accept them

Ted
Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I thought you were done with it?

Quote:
Think I'll just stick to the sunny day wedgie type shots...they almost always accept them
There is a happy medium there somewhere. They just arent going to take a shot like that.

You arent pushing the limits or doing something spectacular there, it's just not a good shot
Old 05-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
nikos1

To put it more bluntly, if this was accepted it would deserve a place of honor in the "The Best Rail Photos on the internet huh?" thread. What is it that you like about this shot exactly? The colors are flat and dull, the sky is bland, the power is bland and very dirty and the angle is boring, why would you want it on here? You have much better shots on here already.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
ACR_Ted

I like the way the scotchlite (thanks Jim for the correct term!) lights up against the darker background - something different from my usual sunny day wedgie. Now that I free from the ball and chain of using film, I am trying new things

But again, here is the inconsistency - first it was too dark, now blurry. Why not just say "PEQ" and be done with it? While it was too dark at first, it certainly is not 'blurry', at least not to me. PEQ - OK that I can understand. PEQ is of course a matter of personal likes or dislikes, which is fine by me. I've had a few rejected for that and no problem there.

Rant over...photo deleted from my RP folder and moving on...

Ted
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
But again, here is the inconsistency - first it was too dark, now blurry. Why not just say "PEQ" and be done with it? While it was too dark at first, it certainly is not 'blurry', at least not to me.
I wouldn't call it inconsistent. There is definitely a difference in clarity between the two rejections. I can't even read the number boards in the second rejection. They were somewhat clear in the first one, but the second one is much worse. What happened?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I like the way the scotchlite (thanks Jim for the correct term!) lights up against the darker background - something different from my usual sunny day wedgie.
Most people dont like that, looks amateurish in my opinion

Quote:
Now that I free from the ball and chain of using film, I am trying new things
So trying shooting at dusk, when there is not enough light is breaking free from your ball and chain and "new things". My recommendation would be to branch out to other types of new things...

Quote:
But again, here is the inconsistency - first it was too dark, now blurry.
It is more blurry in the second one.

As far as inconsistency, as much as we like to blast the screeners lately, I cant recall them accepting something like that, in those lighting conditions lately. Even from one of the "sacred cows".

Quote:
Why not just say "PEQ" and be done with it? While it was too dark at first, it certainly is not 'blurry', at least not to me. PEQ - OK that I can understand. PEQ is of course a matter of personal likes or dislikes, which is fine by me. I've had a few rejected for that and no problem there.
Maybe they figured you would have gotten the point... PEQ isnt the only "fatal reject"

Quote:
Rant over...photo deleted from my RP folder and moving on...
great, we need to put more effort into "the best rail pictures on the net" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
To put it more bluntly, if this was accepted it would deserve a place of honor in the "The Best Rail Photos on the internet huh?" thread. What is it that you like about this shot exactly? The colors are flat and dull, the sky is bland, the power is bland and very dirty and the angle is boring, why would you want it on here? You have much better shots on here already.
That's exactly right
Old 05-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #16
troy12n
Banned

This one is not nearly as bad as yours, but somehow it made it on
Image © Lenny Dunlap
PhotoID: 482844
Photograph © Lenny Dunlap