Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #101
JRMDC

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Always remember: you are competing for views with maybe 6 BILLION other images. You need to provide ways for people to find yours. Upload something with just a "DSC_1234" or "IMG_1234" file name, and the images might as well be private.
So- how to get views on Flickr?
-Good captions
-Tag, tag, tag
-Post to Flickr groups
-See deserving photos by others? Give them some faves and comments.
Every fave or comment is a link to you!
-"Follow" others? I don't, because my Favorites stream is a link to every
photographer I have given faves to.
- See a good photostream? Check out his/her Favorites! It's like a
treasure hunt!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #102
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Flickr treats captions the same way it treats tags. Tagging is a pain in the assignment, a complete caption is all you need, location, line, locomotive, etc.
Tags are easy to add or edit- just click within the tag area. It's not so easy to weave "CNJ" "Jersey Central" "New Jersey Transit" "train" "locomotive" "railroad" "railway" "depot" "station" into a readable caption.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #103
callduckfarm

I added Ron as a contact, now that I know he is on Flickr.
I just select the better photographers as friends, and view the 5 most recent downloads from them so I don't have to look thru all the photo's of the people in my contact list.

Another reason I love Flickr, Sam Botts has done a superb job creating and maintaining a Flickr account of the late J.J. Young Jr's. excellent B&W work. Something you won't find on RP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjyoungjr/

Mike
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #104
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by callduckfarm View Post
I added Ron as a contact, now that I know he is on Flickr.
I just select the better photographers as friends, and view the 5 most recent downloads from them so I don't have to look thru all the photo's of the people in my contact list.

Another reason I love Flickr, Sam Botts has done a superb job creating and maintaining a Flickr account of the late J.J. Young Jr's. excellent B&W work. Something you won't find on RP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jjyoungjr/

Mike
Been following the JJ Young postings since they started, excellent stuff from a bygone era.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #105
Bo Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Always remember: you are competing for views with maybe 6 BILLION other images. You need to provide ways for people to find yours. Upload something with just a "DSC_1234" or "IMG_1234" file name, and the images might as well be private.
So- how to get views on Flickr?
See, I'm so stupid...I never realized that photography was a competition. Unless, of course, I knowingly enter a structured Photo Contest. And yes, I have actually linked and promoted an effort in a Photo Contest that was competing for views. I didn't do a very good job in trying to rustle up views, though.

The rest of the time, I just post my photos on Flickr or RP...caption 'em, tag 'em and let the chips fall where they may. If folks want to view them, great. If not, no worries...but the people who DO want to see my photos know where to find 'em.

Bo

Oh...and thank you Callduckfarm for the tip about JJ Young Jr's Flickr photostream! There are some real treasures in there!
Bo Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #106
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Oh the strange new world of....

...Flickr. I avoided things like Facebook because I figured I didn't need a computer to find "friends"....and now suddenly I am getting "followers"....not many but just the term makes me nervous. Maybe I should change my screen name to Jim Jones. I may be too old and traditional for this sort of thing. RP (and trainorders.com) are looking better.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #107
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Gray View Post
See, I'm so stupid...I never realized that photography was a competition. Unless, of course, I knowingly enter a structured Photo Contest. And yes, I have actually linked and promoted an effort in a Photo Contest that was competing for views. I didn't do a very good job in trying to rustle up views, though.

The rest of the time, I just post my photos on Flickr or RP...caption 'em, tag 'em and let the chips fall where they may. If folks want to view them, great. If not, no worries...but the people who DO want to see my photos know where to find 'em.

Bo

Oh...and thank you Callduckfarm for the tip about JJ Young Jr's Flickr photostream! There are some real treasures in there!
Not a competition? See the "I'm Speechless" thread! Looks like the MPI/MBTA guy is out to be #1 in RP views with a non-heritage roster shot. He will have a hard time beating the Aussie tram flood shot, though.

Those who don't want a zillion views, that's fine. My Flickr stream promotion is actually less than moderate. But if you do little or nothing, Flickr is just storage.

BTW, JJ Young Jr was always an inspiration in the pages of Trains. So many images on the web, so little time!
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #108
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:

Bo

Even if you don't, there are people out there who make their livings on only their photography. That means it IS a competition to them, they have to get every referral or shared link they can in order to generate a sale. That money might be paying the electric bill, or the house payment.

There's a fella that goes to the train shows in Timonium, MD every time and his railroad related photos are his sole source of income and have been for at least 10 years, maybe longer. A few years ago, I'd have never thought for a minute that there was a sustainable market for railroad photography.

I have since learned that it's not just train buffs that are buying the photos. Parents buy for their kids bedrooms, relatives buy for family or friends who either do, or used to work for the railroad. You even get the type that could care less about trains but just think a photo with a train is perfect for the guest room or over the fireplace.

Case in point; I did this shot about 2 years ago. I took several of my prints (including this one) to a gallery showing last Fall, and guy who fancied himself a "contemporary art collector" offered me $200 for a 16x20 print. He never asked me what I was asking for the print, he just offered straight-up. When I asked him what he wanted the print for, he said that the locomotive paint scheme matched his home office decor "perfectly" and he thought it would make a great centerpiece for the room. Who am I to judge?

He took one of my business cards, and has since purchased 3 more 16x20's from me of other photos on my FLICKR page.

Point is, every chance you give your work to be discovered on a routine web search is potential to make money. If you're not interested in making money, that's fine too, we each get what we're looking for out of our chosen hobbies. If you can monetize it however, why wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
...Flickr. I avoided things like Facebook because I figured I didn't need a computer to find "friends"....and now suddenly I am getting "followers"....not many but just the term makes me nervous. Maybe I should change my screen name to Jim Jones. I may be too old and traditional for this sort of thing. RP (and trainorders.com) are looking better.
I think they should have used the term "subscribers" more than followers. But not my website.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #109
Mgoldman

It's not (for many) a competition...

However - if you are posting pictures on public sites, your intent is obviously to have them seen. We obviously could simply e-mail our pics to much smaller groups. If you are doing more then that, you are in "competing" in the context being discussed.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #110
WMHeilman

Flickr is not a competition. Simply put, it's the best place for me to put my pictures, IMO. I really don't care how about views and all that. If people like it, great, if not, oh well. I don't upload much here anymore because I just don't care.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #111
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Flickr is not a competition. Simply put, it's the best place for me to put my pictures, IMO. I really don't care how about views
Then why post at all?

/Mitch
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #112
MagnumForce

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
Yet another reason I dumped Facebook. Let's call a spade a spade and acknowledge that railfans are controlling ego-maniacs. If someone feels snubbed or otherwise offended by a group, their solution is to start an alliance and build a splinter group where they can feel accepted, if not completely in charge of the group. Then they spend the next several months "protecting" their herd from other groups by censoring posts about a new group that has been created elsewhere.

The 3 groups you mentioned just now all started in a similar manner. If you take the time, you'd be able to make the connection by looking at the most "senior" member and realize that at one time they were likely part of one or both of the others, or in many cases, they still are.

I also became irritated with the fact that there seems to be a group for every state, mainline, shortline, industrial siding and rip track from here to hell and back. How in the world anyone can possibly get any utility with all the cross-posting and rampant speculation is beyond me. There's just too much conflicting and outright wrong information to stay reasonably well informed. Add the drama on top of that, and ugh... my head hurts thinking about it.

I'm more perplexed that I put up with it for as long as I did, and I feel bad sometimes for all the people that I talked into joining up with Facebook over the past 5 or 6 years that I was involved.

That said, there were a handful of groups that I really enjoyed being affiliated with because you could get good heads-ups and knowledge. But I've managed to get by pretty well by establishing and building relationships with REAL people who are always more than willing to drop a text message or an e-mail about what's happening. Yeah, I miss lots of stuff, but I have faith that my friends will let me know what's going on if they deem it to be important enough.
But you are still a member of Trainorders which is without a doubt the single worst thing on the internet... Well aside from Goatse... LOL
Old 05-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #113
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
But you are still a member of Trainorders which is without a doubt the single worst thing on the internet... Well aside from Goatse... LOL
Trainorders is worse than goatse.cx
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #114
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Trainorders is worse than goatse.cx

What's wrong with TO's?? And what the heck is goatse.cx?

/Mitch
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #115
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
What's wrong with TO's?? And what the heck is goatse.cx?

/Mitch
Don't seek the answer! Ignorance is bliss!!!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #116
MagnumForce

Seriously? Mitch has issues with everything else but not TO, my mind is blown.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #117
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Seriously? Mitch has issues with everything else but not TO, my mind is blown.
And doesnt know about goatse apparently

Tribute!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #118
MagnumForce

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #119
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
And doesnt know about goatse apparently!
Ah, I see now. It's all starting to make more sense. We don't seem to like the same sites...

From Wiki:

"Goatse.cx (/ˈɡoʊtsiː dɒt ˌsiː ˈɛks/ or /ˈɡoʊt.sɛks/; "goat sex" as the domain intends), often referred to simply as "Goatse", was originally an Internet shock site. Its front page featured a picture, entitled hello.jpg, showing a naked man stretching his anus with both hands, to approximately the width of his fist. The inside of his rectum is also clearly visible. Below his gaping anus, his dangling...."

As for TO's, been a member since my Eastern Rail News account transferred over long, long ago and have not in all these years had a single complaint. What's not to like? The site meets it's objectives and does so without loosing members.

/Mitch
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #120
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Ah, I see now. It's all starting to make more sense. We don't seem to like the same sites...
Goatse is (was anyway) a tool, not something I would profess to liking, lol

It's a shock site in the same vane as tubgirl, lemon party, etc (dont look any of those up either). You trick people into clicking on it for shock value and/or to see their horrified reaction. Fun pranks to play on people at work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_site

Last edited by troy12n; 05-07-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #121
Ron Flanary

Quote:
See, I'm so stupid...I never realized that photography was a competition....

Bo
Bo, that's my philosophy to a "T." Nope, you're certainly anything but stupid. Good photography is to be shared and enjoyed---it's not a pissing contest.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #122
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Don't seek the answer! Ignorance is bliss!!!

Loyd L.
I don't read TO. It's mostly drivel.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #123
MagnumForce

TO does nothing but praise mediocrity and promote the railfan as a slobbering doofus with no concept of the real world.

Good?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #124
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I don't read TO. It's mostly drivel.
TO's is a lot like the Forums on RP except after you ask a question, you get a good answer and a thread that stays on topic. The answers are quite interesting as well.

You also get to see pictures long before the photographers figure out how to level them enough to get onto RP. Incidentally, today's image of the day is from an Amtrak employee who had long since removed his images from RP. One of the best pans I've seen in a long time. James Belmont also has many Big Boy shots not posted on RP.

It's a good place for heads up for those who don't leave their FB page open 24/7. What drivel? Do you read every thread or only ones of interest, lol?

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 05-07-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #125
MagnumForce

GR8 SHOTS! When it is the worst image ever makes me want to punch babies.