Old 04-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
K4driver

Default Crop?

Yeah, Anyone care to explain what I need to crop? http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1397942502.jpg

I've got even space on all four sides of the photo, (I did correct from being dark) I have the leased unit fairly close to an intersecting line using the rule of thirds. I was thinking to crop the side with the green branch on it. Note. The blury area directly above the locomotive is exhaust fumes from the trailing unit (Interstate)
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4driver View Post
I've got even space on all four sides of the photo, (I did correct from being dark) I have the leased unit fairly close to an intersecting line using the rule of thirds. I was thinking to crop the side with the green branch on it. Note. The blury area directly above the locomotive is exhaust fumes from the trailing unit (Interstate)
I don't know what your interpretation of the rule of thirds is, but in my view you have the nose of the train very close to center, that is just the opposite of what the rule of thirds pushes for.

I think you do have to crop the green on the right, but that is really too bad as the shot is so lacking in background color otherwise. In fact, I wonder if you have gone too 'cool' in choosing how you process the shot as the background foliage is so solid gray, hardly a hint of browns in any bark, soil, or remaining leaves. Maybe warm up the shot overall.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
K4driver

That's exactly what the hillside looks like around here. We just had snow last week, and it was about 50 degrees yesterday, so nothing has had the chance to bloom. Oh yeah, it is also normally fairly barren hill until about the last week of May. Thanks for the imput, I will try to "warm it up a bit"
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
wds

RP would probably like a crop more like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	K4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	8539

That said, I don't know if the image quality would stand up to a closer crop and they might have problems with the angle you shot from, what with the bottom of the plow being obstructed by the railhead. The nose of the locomotive also appears a bit on the dark side but when I tried to bring out the details it just appeared like a cloudy day shot. I also warmed it up a bit as J suggested and added a bit of saturation, regardless of how it may have looked in "real life"

Last edited by wds; 04-20-2014 at 06:27 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote