Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 AM   #1
Firefighter1019

Default Stuck in Reject Purgatory

So I understand the color hue rejection. Lesson learned not to use my work computer monitor again, but the horizon rejection was a tough one. The angle of the shot, Crossing signal pole bent from the weight, the fact that power poles are never straight and the fact the track cross the highway at an angle was tough to fix.

Rejection http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...23&key=5834247

How does the corrected version look?

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
xBNSFer

Default Wow that's a tough one...

Looks like you have some major perspective distortion there and no matter what you do with it, it's still gonna look wrong!
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
SFO777

just keep posting pics and seeing what the screener says. The whole point of RP is for the contributors to contribute their work for free in exchange for rejection reasons/critiques from the screeners or people on this board. In this way, you learn how to get better, take better photos, etc.

I noticed this one got on. Congrats! What did u learn?

Last edited by SFO777; 04-01-2015 at 07:23 AM.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Firefighter1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
just keep posting pics and seeing what the screener says. The whole point of RP is for the contributors to contribute their work for free in exchange for rejection reasons/critiques from the screeners or people on this board. In this way, you learn how to get better, take better photos, etc.

I noticed this one got on. Congrats! What did u learn?

I learned not to use my work computer to edit my photos lol.

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Hi SFO,

I've seen your concern about photographers providing content to RP for free as a recurring theme in several of your posts. While it is true that we do indeed provide RP with free material, it is also true that they give us significant exposure that is difficult to achieve through any other means.

RP is the most popular rail-related site on the internet. Not only do thousands of railfans browse this site, but also magazine editors, calendar designers, railroad officials, and many other people who are looking for high quality railroad photographs. While it is difficult to envision anyone (except perhaps employees of railfan mags) making a living selling train photos, RP does create opportunities for contributors here to make a few bucks through image sales, and help this expensive hobby pay for itself in at least some small measure. In the last several years, it has helped me seriously upgrade my gear, and in virtually every case, the buyers chose the images right off RP.

So it's a symbiotic relationship. Yes, we bring views to RP, but those views occasionally bring $$ to us as well.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-07-2015 at 03:23 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #6
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
While it is difficult to envision anyone (except perhaps employees of railfan mags) making a living selling train photos, RP does create opportunities for contributors here to make a few bucks through image sales, and help this expensive hobby pay for itself in at least some small measure. In the last several years, it has helped me seriously upgrade my gear, and in virtually every case, the buyers chose the images right off RP.

So it's a symbiotic relationship. Yes, we bring views to RP, but those views occasionally bring $$ to us as well.

Few photograhers who specialize in "hobby" genres (wildlife, landscape, travel, train photography, etc.) ever make any money from selling photos. Mostly they make it from other photographers doing workshops etc. Even charging $2,000 per wedding and ~$500 for portraits* I barely have much $$ left over from equipment costs and other expenses. The standing joke is, "How do you make a small fortune in photography? Start with a large one." With the better Zeiss and Nikon lenses costing $2,000--$5,000, (Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4 alone costs $4,000), even a $2,000 gig doesn't move the needle very far. The economics of it are the main thing that has kept me from trying full time. Do it for fun, without the burden of trying to make it pay off. You'll make more money working at Burger King, and you'll have benefits too!

As for RP, I agree that everything is a give & take. If there was no benefit, it wouldn't exist.

Kent in SD

*I do portraits mainly with 4x5,
b&w film, and historic lenses.
It's my niche in an overcrowded
market.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Hi SFO,

I've seen your concern about photographers providing content to RP for free as a recurring theme in several of your posts. While it is true that we do indeed provide RP with free material, it is also true that they give us significant exposure that is difficult to achieve through any other means.

RP is the most popular rail-related site on the internet. Not only to thousands of railfans browse this site, but also magazine editors, calendar designers, railroad officials, and many other people who are looking for high quality railroad photographs. While it is difficult to envision anyone (except perhaps employees of railfan mags) making a living selling train photos, RP does create opportunities for contributors here to make a few bucks through image sales, and help this expensive hobby pay for itself in at least some small measure. In the last several years, it has helped me seriously upgrade my gear, and in virtually every case, the buyers chose the images right off RP.

Glad it's paying for you and and (how many?) others.
All my use requests have been for free use, so it comes down to the balance between extra views versus the aggravation.
Still worth it, but just barely.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
SFO777

Quote:
Hi SFO,

RP is the most popular rail-related site on the internet. Not only do thousands of railfans browse this site, but also magazine editors, calendar designers, railroad officials, and many other people who are looking for high quality railroad photographs. While it is difficult to envision anyone (except perhaps employees of railfan mags) making a living selling train photos, RP does create opportunities for contributors here to make a few bucks through image sales, and help this expensive hobby pay for itself in at least some small measure. In the last several years, it has helped me seriously upgrade my gear, and in virtually every case, the buyers chose the images right off RP.

KevinM, Glad to hear that because your photos are very good and there should certainly be some reward for those photos for you. So RP sounds like a good system for you to cover the costs of gear, which is a pretty good reward for the time and effort you must put in.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote