Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default Do I need to just let it go?

This is an image I really like, primarily for its uniqueness and the vibrant colors. However, I submitted it once a while back and again recently to the same result: Blurry. I know a lot of the photo is blurry, but I believe enough of the front of the loco is satisfactorily sharp. Is this a photo I just need to let go and not worry about? Regardless, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...11&key=2478259
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

In my view, the blurred numberboards are off-putting.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

And it's quite noisy.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Do I need to just let it go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
In my view, the blurred numberboards are off-putting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
And it's quite noisy.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
ShortlinesUSA
Senior Member
 
ShortlinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 822
Default

Agreed...let it go. An interesting concept, but not quite pulled off right. If the nose and numberboards of the lead unit were tack sharp, and the rest of the photo as it is, I think you would have a shot at getting it accepted.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the photo among your personal collection. After all, if you like it, that is all which matters.
__________________
Mike Derrick

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 AM   #6
ShortlinesUSA
Senior Member
 
ShortlinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 822
Default

And may I add, when I say "not pulled off right" I don't think there was anything which could have been done better here. Better stated as "I see what you were going for, but it didn't work out as intended." I think there was just too much of the scene which needed to be sharp and still to make this work, but the nature of the camera settings required to make it happen just didn't jive.

I do, however, give you a thumbs up for trying something other than a wedgie of an NS heritage unit!
__________________
Mike Derrick

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #7
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

I like it but the IQ looks very rough? Not sure what you did to it since it was shot at ISO 100...?
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
SoloTwo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Port Washington, WI
Posts: 5
Default

Wow that hurts to look at. The only reason it has vibrant colors is because of all the added saturation...

All the noise is most likely a result of upping the exposure and all the sharpening done to try and make the numberboards sharp.
__________________
Shawn Conrad
RP Profile
Flickr
Website
SoloTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
If the nose and numberboards of the lead unit were tack sharp.....
It's actually "tact" sharp now...
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Alrighty. Thanks everyone. I just needed to get a second opinion for this stuff.

And, Derek, tack or tact?
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #11
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Alrighty. Thanks everyone. I just needed to get a second opinion for this stuff.

And, Derek, tack or tact?
You probably missed out on the tact vs. tack discussion last year. I was actually going to correct "ShortlinesUSA" with "tact" as well, but Derek beat me to it.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:38 AM   #12
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Oh did I now? Well I'd love to hear your argument for the fact. If I wanted to describe my photo as super sharp I might say it is tack sharp or razor sharp, referencing two different objects which are quite sharp. I don't know what you call what you use to hang a poster, but its most certainly a tack. The word tact seems to have exactly jack s--t to do with this.

Tack. n. A small, sharp, broad-headed nail.

Tact. n. Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues.
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #13
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

It wasn't a real argument. It was a misspelling by Mitch (correct me if I'm wrong), I think. We jumped all over it. Lol
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
SFO777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Oh did I now? Well I'd love to hear your argument for the fact.

Argument for what fact? What the hell are you talking about?
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

So it was a reference to an inside joke? Damn I feel stupid.
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #17
SFO777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Argument for what fact? What the hell are you talking about?

SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
So it was a reference to an inside joke? Damn I feel stupid.
Yes. It's somewhat of an "ism" here now. Kind of like long ago when we used to joke about laying a camera on its side.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #19
SFO777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
So it was a reference to an inside joke? Damn I feel stupid.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.