Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Salt Lake City 2016 shots

Hey everyone!
I just got back from SLC, and I've got some shots to share.
First off, this shot of 3 BNSF units parked in Provo. It's a wider angle view of the shot I posted in "Old shots". The wires are quite a problem, but nothing I can do about it except try to photoshop them out and fail miserably. If I had gone to an area where the wires wouldn't be an issue in this shot, I would've been trespassing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1583.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	9179

Then, I got the Provo yard switcher heading over this same crossing. I think maybe this shot is potentially a bit tight around the locomotive, plus the wires in the background.... But like I said, nothing I can do about them.

Name:	DSCN1592.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	9180

Next up, two consecutive shots of an inbound Frontrunner train from this morning. Both taken from the platform of Salt Lake Central Station. Nose is potentially a bit dark?

Name:	DSCN1667.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	9181

Name:	DSCN1668.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	634.9 KB
ID:	9182

While I was on the train, I got these two shots of UP yard power.

Name:	DSCN1677.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	749.0 KB
ID:	9183

Name:	DSCN1679.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	689.3 KB
ID:	9184

Two shots of a local elevator switcher.

Name:	DSCN1690.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	9185

Name:	DSCN1692.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	656.1 KB
ID:	9186

I've got a few more shots, but I've ran into the attachment limit for this post.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
spacetrain1983

Part 2.
To start, I have 3 different shots of my train in Ogden Station shortly after I got off.

Name:	DSCN1684.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	768.7 KB
ID:	9187

Name:	DSCN1685.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	9188

Name:	DSCN1686.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	9189

Next, pictures from the Ogden Railroad Museum's outdoor display. On the first one, the sky is definitely very washed out, but it was either that or a very dark engine display. Also, on the second one, maybe the sun is a bit high?

Name:	DSCN1376.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	9190

Name:	DSCN1378.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	840.5 KB
ID:	9191

Then, a picture of a UTA TRAX Green Line train out of my hotel room window. Maybe it's a bit cut off, but there's a tree blocking the way anyway.

Name:	DSCN1448.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	9192

And to finish off this post of pics due to attachment limits, two of the many pictures I got down at the SLC intermodal terminal.

Name:	DSCN1467.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	9193

Name:	DSCN1468.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	694.4 KB
ID:	9194

Part 3 *should* be the last of the bunch...
Old 05-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
spacetrain1983

And to close off this round of pictures, we start out with a continuation of the sunset intermodal pictures... (Any problems with the sunset intermodal pics can be blamed on the 5+ mosquitoes that were obsessed with me...)

Name:	DSCN1472.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	675.2 KB
ID:	9195

Name:	DSCN1473.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	9196

Now, to finish it all off, a picture of the UP intermodal heading through a crossing. What you don't see off to the right is a very reflective crossing gate I had to crop out, which is the reason for the square shape.

Name:	DSCN1480.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	9197
Old 05-31-2016, 03:19 AM   #4
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I see a lot of missed photo opportunities.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 AM   #5
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I see a lot of missed photo opportunities.

Chris Z
Did I mess up a lot of shots of something? I was only able to go where my parents were willing to drive me.
(Not complaining or anything, just asking what you mean... I don't know all of the good spots around there.)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Did I mess up a lot of shots of something? I was only able to go where my parents were willing to drive me.
(Not complaining or anything, just asking what you mean... I don't know all of the good spots around there.)
What Chis is saying is that none of these photos display a combination of good lighting and composition. It looks like in all cases, in your exuberance to get a photo, you saw a train, stepped out of the car, and took a snapshot, not a composed photograph, and got back in the car. Photography involves planning and patience, not raising the camera and releasing the shutter. In several of your images, it's quite apparent that, had you slowed down and thought through the checklist of items that many have given you in the past, you could have had a much better image. As it is, I don't see any of these images having much chance of getting on RP.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
What Chis is saying is that none of these photos display a combination of good lighting and composition. It looks like in all cases, in your exuberance to get a photo, you saw a train, stepped out of the car, and took a snapshot, not a composed photograph, and got back in the car. Photography involves planning and patience, not raising the camera and releasing the shutter. In several of your images, it's quite apparent that, had you slowed down and thought through the checklist of items that many have given you in the past, you could have had a much better image. As it is, I don't see any of these images having much chance of getting on RP.
I was thinking about both of these factors when taking most of these shots. I set up for the shots ahead of time, however this is quite tricky because I mistakenly left my tripod in the hotel room most of the time, so I had to hold my phone to film and my camera to take pics at the same time. And in most cases, seconds decided the shots, either from the train's movement or my parents' impatience. For example, the shot of the UP GP38-2 near the bridge. I was considering composition, so I tried to reduce the amount of the image that the plain foreground took up. Unfortunately, my parents wanted to get a move on quickly, so it was the best shot I could get of it. On other shots though, I realize I could have done way better.

EDIT: Just realized I never posted the aforementioned GP38 picture. I'll post that when I can.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Decapod401

Quote:
I was thinking about both of these factors when taking most of these shots. I set up for the shots ahead of time, however this is quite tricky because I mistakenly left my tripod in the hotel room most of the time, so I had to hold my phone to film and my camera to take pics at the same time. And in most cases, seconds decided the shots, either from the train's movement or my parents' impatience. For example, the shot of the UP GP38-2 near the bridge. I was considering composition, so I tried to reduce the amount of the image that the plain foreground took up. Unfortunately, my parents wanted to get a move on quickly, so it was the best shot I could get of it. On other shots though, I realize I could have done way better.

EDIT: Just realized I never posted the aforementioned GP38 picture. I'll post that when I can.
So, instead of simplifying, you complicated things by adding trying to video to your distractions. I can't think of any good photographers/videographers who do both really well - they do one or the other. I have seen guys set up on excursions who set up the video equipment on a tripod, turn it on as the train approaches, and concentrate on the still photos. I'm sure that they get OK videos, and they should get good still images because that camera has their attention when the train is in view. In these cases they are at the location well ahead of the train to get organized.

In your case, you are reacting to seeing a train, rushing around trying to do both, and I would be willing to bet that the videos suffer because you're trying to get a still image at the same time. At a given location, pick one or the other, and concentrate on doing that one thing well.

After posting my previous comments, another thing occurred to me - your process. At this point, you are capturing images, and then asking, "is it good enough?" You need to reverse that pattern. Determining a photo's suitability before clicking the shutter will yield much better results that your current process. What determines suitability? Go back and absorb all the advice that you have been given by many people in previous threads.

One piece of advice that may have not been explicitly given you: In almost all of your photos, you are basically taking "roster" shots of the lead locomotive. Try to include the entire train, or at least as much as can be seen. Roster shots have their place, but not so much on RP. Only unique, newsworthy, or vintage roster shots will be entertained by this site. It's much more interesting to see much more of the train than you are capturing.

Last edited by Decapod401; 05-31-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Mberry

Both of Decapod401's comments are well put, you should definitely pay heed to his advice.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
loomus78

I read this post more along the lines of a traditional trainordersdotcom post whereas "I was here for the day and here are my photos for you all to see."
Not so much as "Here are my shots, what do you guys think?" rpdotnet post.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
I read this post more along the lines of a traditional trainordersdotcom post whereas "I was here for the day and here are my photos for you all to see."
Not so much as "Here are my shots, what do you guys think?" rpdotnet post.
Well it's intended to be the latter, but I see where you're coming from.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:07 AM   #12
Noct Foamer

Quote:
And in most cases, seconds decided the shots, either from the train's movement or my parents' impatience.

Maybe you could find a nice foamer family to adopt you? My youngest son was cool with trains and would go anywhere with me to see them, at least until he was about 12. After that, he had to be bribed before he'd go look at trains with me. Now, the only way to get him near a train is to trick him. Our summer vacation two years ago was riding the VIA train across southern Canada to Vancouver. The only way I got him to go was to tell him stories about how since we're going first class, that would give him access to the hot tub car. I told him how after 10 pm the hot tub car was "clothing optional," and it was full of girls who were as pretty as they were libertine. The first night on the train he came back to me and said, "DAD! The activities director said there are no hot tubs on a train!" Oh crap. We got on the wrong one. So anyway, maybe we could adopt you, if you promise to mow the lawn in the summer and shovel the driveway in winter.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:36 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Looks like a bunch of grab shots to me
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Looks like a bunch of grab shots to me
All the Frontrunner shots were not grab shots. I was waiting at the station for a few minutes before the train came into view, then I turned on my camera and got those 3 shots as the train arrived. And then the 3 shots when I got off the train... I decided that I had time, and so tried to get some good shots.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
All the Frontrunner shots were not grab shots. I was waiting at the station for a few minutes before the train came into view, then I turned on my camera and got those 3 shots as the train arrived. And then the 3 shots when I got off the train... I decided that I had time, and so tried to get some good shots.
Regardless, they look like grab shots
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #16
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Regardless, they look like grab shots
That's why it's so unfortunate that it takes like 2-3+ seconds for my camera to respond after taking a picture. If it had a quicker photo processing time, I might be able to get better shots.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
That's why it's so unfortunate that it takes like 2-3+ seconds for my camera to respond after taking a picture. If it had a quicker photo processing time, I might be able to get better shots.
You could take those 2-3+ seconds (and more) and think longer about your next shot before you take it. Sorry to be harsh. Your equipment is not holding you back. You just need to learn how to think through what you are doing and what you are seeing. Keep practicing, it will happen.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #18
Noct Foamer

Quote:
If it had a quicker photo processing time, I might be able to get better shots.

I often use a camera made in 1926, a 5x7 Gundlach Korona, with lenses of similar vintage. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up for a shot (set up tripod, attach camera, level it out, open lens shutter and focus, close lens shutter, take a meter reading with handheld meter, adjust aperture ring & set shutter speed on the dials, insert film holder, remove dark slide, take the shot, replace dark slide.) Nothing quick about it, and I won't see the photo for nearly two weeks (send film to Portland OR to process it.) Does this hinder me at all? No. The WHOLE THING about photography is to develop the ability to first imagine the shot you want in your mind, and then simply use camera gear to capture it. This is called "previsualization," and is a skill you must develop over time. Really, a photo doesn't come from the camera, it comes from your imagination and ability to mentally create it. By the time you have done that, any camera ever made should be able to make it reality.

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Gun...iew-(5x7).html

Kent in SD
Old 06-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #19
nikos1

I started with a Canon A80, a slow 4 MP early digital camera. I think I have 30 or so shots taken with it on RP. If you cant compose a photo then the best equipment in the world won't help.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
JimThias

I was in SLC this past Tuesday for about an hour. So there's that.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #21
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I was in SLC this past Tuesday for about an hour. So there's that.

Did you get any grab shots, by chance?

Kent in SD