Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
B.Erdmann

Default help w/ some more rejections

hello,

i took some more photos in stevens point & they got rejected i revised some a bit & got rejected again. i took these on 2M for quality a better quality that i learned in my camera manual. the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy. any help please help me

links

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325619

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325630

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325637

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325837

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325838

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325840
B.Erdmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
Ween

Quote:
the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy.
This sounds like a 14-year old here. Of course it's not your fault, but that's no justification for having your photos accepted.

Clouds are the least of your worries on these shots. The big two problems are composition and backlighting.

For composition: at least 3 (maybe 4) have the subject (the locomotive) cutoff of the frame. The front pilot on one, the rear pilot on the other, and the wheels/trucks on another. Make sure your subjuect is fully in the frame.

For backlighting: especially on the GTW/CN unit, the subject is between you and the sun: a no-no in most situations. Shoot with the sun to your back (I know it's cloudy, but that's not the point). And I know it's a yard and you couldn't get to the other side of the train. No problem, but if you choose to take a pictures under those circumstances, don't try and upload it here.

Comparison is your biggest friend here. Look through the database and see what routinely gets accepted here. There will always, ALWAYS, be exceptions to the rules like backlit shots and the like, but look at the majority of photos that get accepted. That should give you a clear indication of whether your stuff will pass muster or not. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

They all seem to be backlit, poor lighting and fuzzy to me. Try on a better day. None are salvageable.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Erdmann
hello,

i took these on 2M for quality a better quality that i learned in my camera manual. the part where it says cloudy day shots aint accepted well i see cludy day shots on here & it wasnt my fault it was cloudy. any help please help me

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=325838
Hi B,

Cloudy shots are very hard to get accepted here at the best of times, everything has to be spot on. Exposure and framing of the photo have to be top notch. Now lets take Weens advise and have a look at the photo below (Just happens to be the same loco as in one of your shots )

Image © Douglas H
PhotoID: 31992
Photograph © Douglas H

Have a look at the way the photographer as positioned the loco within the frame, look around the edges of the shot make sure you haven't chopped something important off like the end of the loco. This front 3/4 shot is considered a standard roster shot and this is the sort of thing you should try first until you become better with the camera. By now you are probably saying this was taken on a cloudy day, true it was but have a look at the sky, there is detail in the clouds something that is not in your shots.

Image © Stephen Guthrie
PhotoID: 36150
Photograph © Stephen Guthrie

Here we are again, same loco in the same yard as your shot. This is a good starting point for yard shots as it's similar to a roster shot plus the damn things aren't moving so you have got a bit time to line up your shot.

I hope this gives you an idea of whats required so go out there and give it another go and most important have some fun while your at it.

Cheers

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
scottychaos

What kind of camera are you using?
you said its a 4 megapixel, but im not seeing it..

are you perhaps shooting from far away and then cropping the pics?
something about the image quality is still off..very low resolution.
maybe the camera quality setting still isnt right.

Scot
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
scottychaos

I see the "what kind of camera are you using" has already been answered in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-crotty
I just downloaded your phot and checked out the file info.

Seems you have a Fuji Finepix A345 which has a 4Mp capability.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/details/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

http://www.cameras.co.uk/specs/fuji-finepix-a345.cfm

The links above give a review of your camera, you will see that the shutter lag is around 1/2 sec don't expect too much if you try for moving subjects.

You chose to use the lowest quality that your camera can produce 03M.

Produces only a 640x480 image, the top setting would give you a 2,304 x 1,728 image.

As I said above try using the best quality, then re size down for railpics

Also I see you used an ISO of 64, the conditions appear a little dull for such a low setting, this will have caused you to use a wide aperture f3.8, results in lower quality, and a low shutter speed 1/100 second, may allow a bit of camera shake?

I see, unfortunately that the A345 gives you no control over shooting apertures and/or shutter speeds, except that one of the modes is 'Sport', I suspect that this will give you the benefit of the camera choosing a higher shutter speed for you. Setting a higher ISO, say 200 will also encourage the camera to set a higher shutter speed smaller aperture combination. The downside is that the image quality will suffer if too higher ISO (400) is used?

As I have already said, experiment at different settings by snapping cars or lorries in various conditions near home, get to know what gives you best results before you go out taking rail phots again.

That will give you the opportunity for success!

Alan
You are still using too low of a quality setting.
Go to the 4M F setting.

Scot
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
alan-crotty

Default Just trying to help

HI BE,

Looks like a few folk are trying to help you out here, however if you don't reply to suggestions your not going to get further help.

There are a lot of very good photters on this forum who will help, but you need to keep up the correspondence.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #8
B.Erdmann

hey,

sorry ive been busy latley.

thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap. ill show you the originals compared to what i had to re do. the problem wa w/ the originals i had to shrink beacuse the photo was large for the requirements so that means i have to shrink it more for when i take them on 4M F. i couldt that time bacuse i had no pics for that quality. my mom has so many pics on the camera & its taking up space.

so thanks for some help & i could use some more help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_0107WCPoint20054.JPG (475.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Quote:
thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap.
Dude I think your the one giving the screeners crap!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
PLEzero

Quote:
the problem wa w/ the originals i had to shrink beacuse the photo was large for the requirements so that means i have to shrink it more for when i take them on 4M F. i couldt that time bacuse i had no pics for that quality. my mom has so many pics on the camera & its taking up space.
Take your photos at the highest setting possible. Then resize them in photoshop. I do not understand how photos are taking up space on the camera? Do you not save your photos to the computer???
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #11
Frederick

Some advice:
-Hold the camera as steady as possible, or mount it on a tripod to prevent blur.

-Shoot at the highest resolution.

-When downsizing (especially on a mass scale), use the sharpen/unsharp mask feature, as it improves detail that is already there. Oversharpening can make image noise more visible.

-Don't go on 100% cloudy days (with some exceptions), as it sucks the color and life out of your photos.

-Use manual mode, if your camera has it. Many point and shoot cameras overexpose photos in automatic mode, making areas of light and dark bleed into each other.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #12
B.Erdmann

sorry dont have enoguh room for all the originals go to this link to view them

http://brenterdmann.proboards80.com/...ead=1168475879

Check out my webiste
Http://brenterdmann.proboards80.com
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
-Don't go on 100% cloudy days (with some exceptions), as it sucks the color and life out of your photos.
Let's back up on this just a bit! Don't expect shots taken on 100% cloudy days to get into RP! But by all means enjoy the trackside time, and use that time to practice composition and so forth. Take pictures, and examine them at home with a very critical eye, that self-awareness is an important skill.

And please down size any picture you post here; it makes it easier to help you. The one you posted, it's so big that it is hard to assess. Two problems I see (other than 100% cloudy and common power which means no hope of an RP acceptance).
1) there is a post in the middle bottom of the shot. Next time, if you can, reposition yourself to avoid such distractions.
2) It looks like the engine is a little tight against the left border, not enough space to do what sometimes is referred to as "breathing".

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
thanks for some help but i think whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap....

so thanks for some help & i could use some more help
Seriously, one important thing you need is an attitude change. Taking good pictures is harder than you thought, maybe you are slowly realizing that, maybe not yet. It's not the screeners, it's you. But that is fixable, we have ALL been there. Hopefully the last sentence is true and the first a dreadful mistake.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 AM   #15
a231pacific

When I first started watching these forums last year, there was a lot of whining about the how the screeners were rejecting shots. Most of the shots were crap and there was a lot of attitude on the part of the posters. I nearly quit paying attention, but then I got a shot rejected and asked politely for some help in fixing it. Several posters chimed in with suggestions and I really appreciated it.

I don't know if I started something, but more people started posting suggestions on how to improve rejected shots and over a couple of months, most of the whining died out and there was a lot of useful information posted. I helped some as I got better and I learned even more in the process.

I discovered that there are a lot of young shooters here, some of whom are very good, but that some others needed help. If you are patient, ask for help and listen, you may get to be as good as Andrew, who is 18, and a better photographer than I am at three times his age!

The most common mistakes that new photographers seem to make is in using point and shoot cameras, set at low quality settings, probably to maximize the number of shots. You need to set your camera to shoot at two to three times the resolution you will be posting at on RP.

The next most common mistake seems to be submitting the shot to RP directly out of the camera, with no post processing. Often the excuse has been that image processing software was too expensive, but there are several pretty good freeware programs out there. You should level, crop, correct exposure, enhance contrast, color correct and sharpen your images before you try to submit them to RP.

The third thing you need to learn about is composition. You should read the guidlines for submitting photos and then look at enough shots already on RP to get some feel for what gets accepted here. As others have said, cloudy day shots are almost never accepted. Shots like your shot of WS 6005, where parts of the engine are cut off, are generally not accepted. Shots where poles look like they are growing out of the engine, or where foreground objects stick up into the engine are generally not accepted. Photos that are not sharp are not accepted either. Look carefully at your WS 6005 shot and you will see that it is four for four on reasons to reject it.

If you are serious about wanting to improve your photography, try some more shots and see if you can make them better than your current batch. Then bring them to the forum, but please, reduce them in size to about 700 pixels wide. It makes them easier to see and it doesn't mess up the text formatting. I hate having to scroll across to read a post!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #16
Ween

Type all you want, Michael...some people just don't want to listen to the help/advice that's provided to them. Unfortunately, I think this is one of those cases...
Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
alan-crotty

Default Just starting out

Michael,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ween on this one. It's a shame that a photographer just starting out and with so much opportunity to learn from some of the worlds top snappers has such a poor attitude.

Alan
Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-crotty
Michael,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Ween on this one. It's a shame that a photographer just starting out and with so much opportunity to learn from some of the worlds top snappers has such a poor attitude.

Alan
Well, gosh, that is the first time, and most certainly the last time, that anyone has called me one of the world's top snappers!!!! You must have meant everyone else who contributed.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
alan-crotty

Default 15 minutes

Must be your 15 minutes of fame Janusz

Bask in the glory!!

Alan
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
a231pacific

Alan,

You said "snappers." Is that anything like a photographer?

Michael
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
alan-crotty

Default Snappers

Michael

Snappers is a well used term for professional photographers in the UK, it is not a derogatory term

Found any N scale vehicles yet?

Alan
Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
a231pacific

Woops! Forgot! My Bad! Will get back to you ASAP!

Michael
Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #23
rlfranz

Default B. Erdmann

I think that there are many things amiss with your photos:

1. Poor image quality. My guess is that your camera is not capable of the quality required for RP. Your photos are dark, grainy, and lack 'snap'

2. Poor composition and lighting. Your photos that I have seen are back-lit and have no interesting composition.
rlfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 PM   #24
Mark Rosnick

Default Rejections

I agree with Michael. Some people need to stop their b******g and pay attention to what the more expierenced photographers are saying. The whole idea of the forums are to ask for assistance, and seek feedback for your photos. I've questioned rejections, and gotten great feedback on how to correct my image, and by listening to the feedback, the picture was accepted. I've been into photography for 35 years, and shot professionaly for 11 years, but still I'm always looking for ideas and inspiration. I'm also pretty new to digital imaging, so I'm always looking for feedback. So my advice to new shooters is to find a mentor ( Mine was the late Paul Vathis of AP) who can help you with your photography. If not that, use the forums for your advantage
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #25
B.Erdmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Dude I think your the one giving the screeners crap!

you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this.

i appricate the help but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.

Check out my webiste
Http://brenterdmann.proboards80.com