Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
conrail_8123

Angry I am Frustrated with Rail Pictures!!!

Ok folks,

I must dumb not to understand why this photo was rejected. The first time I posted it the sharpness was off. So, I fixed that. Now I am told the cropping sucks. When I crop the shot I don't think it looks good. I belive having the cars and houses adds to the scene.

What do you think? Should I chop it down like the Rail Pictures staff want?

Also, not to toot my own horn, but this shot is better then what they currently have. I have proper light unlike many of the other photos on the site. The cropping in my opinion is also better then the other shots.

Just my opinion though. I guess it is only my two cents.

Opinions Strongly welcomed!!!

First picture is cropped.

Second picture is how I submitted it the frist time.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMID.jpg (58.2 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2117.jpg (238.7 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by conrail_8123; 05-17-2007 at 03:24 AM.
conrail_8123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
seank97

My thoughts for what they are worth (nothing so don't look to buy a coffee) is that a closer view would have been better. Quite frankly I don't like the cropped version as it looks too generic and in the original the train simply is too far away to be the effective "subject" of the picture and it leaves the viewer to wander for the real subject of the photo.

Yes, the lighting is nice, as well as sharpness and overall it is effective as a train photo, just needs to be more homogenized.

Nice effort though
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Because there are no set rules on RP, you must remember that it is not necessarily the "staff" that doesn't accept a photo, but rather an individual screener at the time in question. With 5 screeners, you have quite a range in tastes and tolerences. I think that's why you see some pics that appear of lesser quality to you get in - no doubt you might let in some that others wouldn't have if you were a screener.

Take some comfort there.

Now, regarding your pic. I like it but I think you'll get some valid input regarding any percieved shortcommings that might not be readily visible.
While I like the photo, I'd suggest cropping the foreground. The train is placed pretty far back - like it has yet to get into the photo. Keep the cars and houses by all means, just eliminate the "extra" foreground. That means loosing a little detail probably on the right side, maybe just past the stop sign.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to take a look at my photos on RP and then leave a comment on my Amtrak AEM7 photo!! (I like that shot!).
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail_8123

Also, not to toot my own horn, but this shot is better then what they currently have. I have proper light unlike many of the other photos on the site. The cropping in my opinion is also better then the other shots.
a) your horn toots with a flat note - this shot isn't "better" than many or probably most of the shots in the database. It's a reasonable start, work with that.

b) it always helps to provide the link to the rejection(s) so we can see the reasons given plus the full quality image

c) I'd suggest cropping as close on the left to the car as looks right - the house/stairs detail is distracting. And then a bit off the bottom. Not sure if the stop sign can be saved or not, consider cropping it out. Or maybe crop part of the car on the left to get rid of more of the clutter on the left. Or maybe crop on the right to get rid of the right-most house and the stop sign. Or do a vertical that includes train, tall structure, and red car only.

d) if you really, really like it as is, then put it in the personal collection, pat yourself on the back, and move on.

BTW, on the cropped shot, look at the white stripes around some of the power lines - badly oversharpened

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-17-2007 at 04:32 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
conrail_8123

JRMDC,

Thank you for your input on my picture. One day I hope I can take pictures as good as you do.

A. I don't know how to submit a link to the rejection. Can you tell me how?

B. I am not saying that I am a better photographer then others. I am simply stating that if you look up Maryland Midland on Rail Pictures the lighting and the angles are not to my liking. If you find time chrck it out, there are pictures with shadows and pictures that don't look good, to me.

C. I will take your suggestion and crop it the way you say will make it less distracting and I will post it here for you comment on.

D. I have moved on. I just wanted to have open comments.

Thank you for your time and your comments.

Chris
Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
conrail_8123

Here are the two photos as suggested. Do they look any better?

Here is the link to the rejection: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=135475928

Thanks for everybody's time.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horizontal 306.jpg (156.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg vertical 306.jpg (65.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

This is a case of good framing, but itchy trigger finger. I think if you had let the train move into the shot, you would have gotten it in easier. I like the framing of the original, but Mitch is right; the train is too far back. For what it's worth, the Maryland Midland is one railroad I like to keep trak off through RP and I'm just not seeing a lot of poorly lit, badly croppedshots like you are. To each his own, though.

Joe
Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

In the link to the rejected shot, there appears to be some noise/grain issues as well as it being too sharp or pixelated.

Joe
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #9
conrail_8123

I am only speaking about the shots taken on the street trackage. The other shots are very good.

Thanks for your comments.

Chris
Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail_8123
I am only speaking about the shots taken on the street trackage. The other shots are very good.
I now understand the extremely limited scope of your phrase "better than what they currently have."

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
JRMDC

Your horizontal is very nice; I would only loosen it up around the car lower left just a bit - give the car a bit more room, a bit of space below and to the left.

The vertical just doesn't work for me, too compact, too stuffy.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
conrail_8123

JRMDC,

Thank you again for your comments and for your help. I cropped the photo the way you have suggested. How does it look now?

Thanks again for all the comments.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2117.JPG (199.4 KB, 401 views)
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
JRMDC

Well, *I* like it, but that isn't much of a standard! Good luck with it.

Also, maybe sharpen it more, see how it looks, might be better, maybe not. I know, I know, didn't I say earlier that it was over-sharpened? Nonetheless, this version may be a bit undersharpened.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-17-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Carl Becker

I pulled the photo into my photo editor and took a look and it does look better after sharpening. Unfortunately, the size is not very good for RP.net at this point (around 944 X 76. There's a good chance that if you submit that crop, it may get hit for the size. Although, then again, I have seen some pretty odd-sized photos lately.

Also, FYI, some photographers on here smudge license plates on photos, and your shot shows the plate on that Pontiac clearly. Whether or not this can be considered true digital manipulation for RP.net is still debated on the forums (my opinion is that it is not since it doesn't involve the train itself).
Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
Carl Becker

Quote:
(around 944 X 76.
That's a first for me. I mistakenly entered the 8 and the ) right next to each other.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
conrail_8123

Ok. I will try to sharpen it some more. Do you mind looking at it again once I sharpen it? I will also try to smudge the license plate as well.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Chris
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
JRMDC

I didn't know that people smudge license plates. I'm not sure why one would want to. Can someone point me to some shots in the database where the license is smudged? Also, I wouldn't mind reading some discussion as to why or why not to do it.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
conrail_8123

Ok, I smudged the license plates.

To sharpen it I want use the USM right?

Or is this the wrong tool to use.

I think it is sharper, but my eyes lie sometimes.

Thanks again for the help.

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_2117.jpg (175.9 KB, 408 views)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
Bill

Hi Chris,
I think your most recent attempt has the best crop & it looks sufficiently sharp...my only other suggestion would be to run it through a noiseware program...like NeatImage or Noise Ninja. It appears that when you are sharpening, you are also creating grain.
It wouldn't surprise me to get accepted as-is...but I think it would look a little nicer if the grain was cleaned up.

I personally like the shot...trains in the middle of the street are an interesting subject to me. You should probably lay off the "my shots is so much better..." stuff though, not the best way to ask for help.

Good luck...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

I sure love street running....

Personally I like the example with the stop sign etc, but this most recent one is nice too. Either way, I hope to see this one in the database because street running is getting more rare (at least near me)!

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
a231pacific

Smuding license plate's is a phony issue. Don't do it, you can tell it's been done. If you park your car on a public street, anyone can see your license number, so it's not a privacy issue. Even if you were to sell the photo for commercial use, there is no privacy issue then either. Now, if the guy was parked in front of a fire hydrant and you wanted to give him a break....

Your final version is starting to look pretty decent. Work on sharpening and grain, restore the license plate and you should be good to go.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #22
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
...my only other suggestion would be to run it through a noiseware program...like NeatImage or Noise Ninja.
Just checked those out. That's some cool stuff. Always wondered how to combat that in digital photos. Learn something new every day, right?

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetRailsWA
Just checked those out. That's some cool stuff. Always wondered how to combat that in digital photos. Learn something new every day, right?
There is also noise reduction within PS and PS Elements. In PS Elements it is under Filter, Noise, Reduce Noise. Well, it's in PSE3, I don't know in which versions it first appeared.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
Ween

Quote:
Whether or not this can be considered true digital manipulation for RP.net is still debated on the forums (my opinion is that it is not since it doesn't involve the train itself).
I'm of the opinion if it's something tangible in the shot, it's staying there (unless it's a flock of birds in the sky that looks like specks/sensor dirt). Using the logic of item not applying to trains, then that would mean poles, powerlines, people, etc. are fair game to be digitally manipulated out...
Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #25
conrail_8123

Thanks for all of your helpful advice.

I regret saying that my photos are better then everybody else. I made a stupid comment. For that I am sorry.

I have another question. I have Arc Photo Studio version 5.5. Does anybody know if there is a tool for reducing noise in this program? I have been looking through it and I can't seem to find it.

Also, I would like to know when I decide to upgrade my photoshop software, what software would you consider.

Thanks again.

Chris