Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Steve Hubbard

Default Why do some people have to be such jerks

Recently I was at Waterloo Indiana on the NS Toledo Elkhart line setting up on the Amtrak platform. I had put my Sony Hi 8 video camara on its tripod and set it on the platform. I returned to get my canon 35mm out and load it with film. I turned back to the platform only to find my hi 8 and its tripod not on the platform but leaning against my car. Three railfans who had showed up after me had moved it as it was in their way. When they saw me looking at them they informed me that there wasn't room for their camaras and mine and in no certain terms I was told to stay off the platform.
I wasn't to worried as I knew where to set up so that I could get my shots without being in their way. I figured that sooner or later these jerks (Iam using Polite language here out of respect for the little ones who read these post rather than what i felt like saying to them) will get whats coming to them. sure enough they moved to the south side of the tracks for better lighting. as they left the platform they informed me that if they come back that i was expected to vacate the platform.
when they set up on the south side I told them that they were on railroad property and they told me to f off and mind my own bussiness. Now I am pleased to announce that Justice was served. There was a Westbound coal emptys with BNSF power. the three of them were looking in their camara view finders adjusting their cameras when they were told once again that they were tresspassing on railroad property. without taking their eyes of the camara they said a few choice words. That made my day right there, Lets face it on of the worst things you can do when tresspassing is to tell a NS Railroad police officer to go to h---.
Steve Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Ween

Good to hear jsutice was served.

However, I'm pretty sure that if someone touched my equipment...touched, not moved, mind you...without permission, there would have been a discussion right there.

If railfans act like that, go ahead and name names. Tell your local Yahoo! Group. Behavior like that is unacceptable...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Good to hear jsutice was served.

However, I'm pretty sure that if someone touched my equipment...touched, not moved, mind you...without permission, there would have been a discussion right there.

If railfans act like that, go ahead and name names. Tell your local Yahoo! Group. Behavior like that is unacceptable...
Agree with Ween, touching my gear without my express permission is a great way to get your teeth kicked in, not to mention having your feelings hurt.

Show up at a platform after I've already been there, and tell me to leave, and you'll again have your feelings hurt.

There's a couple of guys down in Petersburg, VA that seem to think they own the railroad and they always run railfans off of "their spots". They tried it on myself and a friend once, but they desisted as soon as they realized we were both carrying concealed weapons. Not that we'd have even dreamt of shooting someone over something so trivial, but the ability to give these types of attitudes a moment of pause is priceless.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
NSFan14

There is a few of them jerks around. Fortunatly I dont have to deal with them! Them guys should have never touched/moved your camera period. You was there first they can just leave if they have a problem with it. Maybe these guys happen to be members here on RP.Net.....?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

It's one thing to be courteous and not spoil another railfan's shot, but wow... moving somebody's stuff and telling you that you're in their territory is pretty nuts... glad I haven't run into anyone like that.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Kelly Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hubbard
Recently I was at Waterloo Indiana on the NS Toledo Elkhart line setting up on the Amtrak platform.
Manners are infrequent in Dekalb County at times.

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Luckily the frequents around here get along fairly well most of the time. We can't really have squabbles over the platform space because they are off limits to non ticketed persons. Most of the people you meet in the hobby are pretty nice people and are usually pretty friendly. It's those 1%ers that make you wonder what's wrong with some people. It would definitely be nice if you could call them out by name. Maybe someone will jump in and help.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCagle7073
Luckily the frequents around here get along fairly well most of the time. We can't really have squabbles over the platform space because they are off limits to non ticketed persons. Most of the people you meet in the hobby are pretty nice people and are usually pretty friendly. It's those 1%ers that make you wonder what's wrong with some people. It would definitely be nice if you could call them out by name. Maybe someone will jump in and help.

That %1 must live in my area
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
PennRailVideos

Send a message via AIM to PennRailVideos Send a message via Yahoo to PennRailVideos

Everyone in our area knows each other by name (since we're all on the same Yahoo! group), and usually everyone is very curtious. The only time where I met someone who thought they owned the place was when I was chasing a Steamtown train, and some guy from NY (sorry New Yorkers), thought he owned the road. Almost ran me over, for Pete sake.

If they did that to me, I would taken my tripod, and went in front of them.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
ssw9662

Almost all of the railfans I've met have always been polite and respectful to myself and others. It's a shame that we have to deal with the 1% that often ruins it for the rest of us. When I was shooting the Pennsy E8's on their way up to Scranton in November, I saw someone cross the tracks about five to ten seconds before the train and get in the way of several photographers. The strange thing is that he was putting himself in danger and getting in the way of others to get a really crappy backlit shot, had he stayed on the other side of the tracks he would have had the sun at his back.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 03-21-2008 at 06:33 AM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
Damaged

I may be a noob to rail photograghy but common sense tells me that touching someone elses equipment is a good way to get a size 12 upside the backside.(If your'e lucky thats all that would happen.)
That is a sad story for sure. I think you were the bigger man in that situation and its good to see the RR police were doing their jobs. Did they move after being confronted? I'd have been laughing my lily white butt off.
Damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

There is never any reason to touch someone else's property without permission, unless of course it's going to get hit or damaged.

In Australia, it is normally first in best dressed; the first person sets up where they want to and then everyone else forms a 'photo line.' Those who do not understand this process are often abused and/or physically injured. Then all you have to do is wait for the posts on Railpage Australia about it.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote