Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default Help me plan

I am getting on a plane Saturday night for Flagstaff, San Fran, Mojave and San Diego.

It's looking to be a rainy/snowy/cloudy trip. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on how I might capture some RP pics from this. I was thinking maybe a rainy day in the desert might be unusual.

And it's even forecasted to rain in the high desert.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Lots of nice spots, If its not a sunny shot, Just don't underexpose and try to keep as little sky as you can if its just flat gray.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Are you leaving Saturday the 18th, or Saturday the 25th? The weather will stink this week, but next week shouldn't be horrible.

As for RP worthy shots, I really hate shooting in the desert when it's cloudy because everything becomes so flat and bland that pretty much any shot I get is worthless. However, I have absolutely no problem shooting in forests when it's cloudy. I just like the way the shots look. So if I were you, I'd hit Flag a lot harder than the other locations.

Other RP worthy shots to consider are night shots, and with all this rain, there may be washouts causing derailments that you could document if they happen when you're in the area.

This storm system is really getting a lot of hype, and I will be watching with interest how it plays out during the week. A lot of railfans think there will be major flooding, snow, and landslide problems for the railroads, but I'm not as worried as I was about the storm system in January which brought the threat of rain on top of snow, which can cause massive flooding. It doesn't look like this storm system is cool enough to snow in my area, and even Flagstaff is forecast for rain not snow, which is unusual. Next weekend is looking decent weatherwise though, so you may luck out at the tail end of your trip if you're going this week.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Greg P

I'm flying out Christmas night so I'll be in Flagstaff the 25th-29th, San Fran from the 29th-2nd and Mojave Desert from the 2nd-5th.

I've been watching the weather. I was hoping the desert flowers might decide to bloom if it rains and hoping for the some snow in flagstaff area.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Photography out west is easy. Find the railroad tracks, and wait... you can usually look in both directions and see stuff coming for miles.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Photography out west is easy. Find the railroad tracks, and wait... you can usually look in both directions and see stuff coming for miles.
Forcasted weather patterns show a possibility of cloudy days so I'm trying to think up ideas to avoid cloudy day/common power.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
Greg P

I'm thinking about doing some big picture shots too, I see that big picture (a large natural scene with a train in it) seem to do well when cloudy.