Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
JimThias

Default And the LONGEST photo caption award goes to...

...Dean Splittgerber:

Image © Dean J. Splittgerber
PhotoID: 349280
Photograph © Dean J. Splittgerber

If anyone has the energy to read all that, can you post a summary here? Thanks!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
crazytiger

WOW, that one beat, J-M.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Remarks
From Wikipedia.....The person who wrote it did a better job explaining that I could.....
Copy & Paste from Wikipedia doesn't count...
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
cblaz

Have to make a wedgie interesting somehow.

Wonder why it wasn't rejected since the photographer could have just linked to the Wikipedia page (which should never be trusted as historical documentation anyway)?

- Chris
Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Copy & Paste from Wikipedia doesn't count...
I wonder if he'll run into a copyright issue with them.

Last edited by Soo 6060; 12-23-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
I wonder if he'll run into a copywrite issue with them.
Probably not...but perhaps a copyright issue.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

In the immortal words of Woody Allen - "I took Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading Dynamics. I read WAR AND PEACE this morning. I think it was about Russia."
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Probably not...but perhaps a copyright issue.
A copywriter writes copy.

A copyright protects ones rights from being copied.

A playwright is one who has wrought a play.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
A copywriter writes copy.

A copyright protects ones rights from being copied.

A playwright is one who has wrought a play.
From Wiki:
A playwright, also known as a dramatist, is a person who writes dramatic literature or drama. These works are usually written to be performed in front of a live audience by actors. They may also be closet dramas or literary works written using dramatic forms but not meant for performance.

The term is not a variant spelling of "playwrite", but something quite distinct: the word wright is an archaic English term for a craftsman or builder (as in a wheelwright or cartwright). Hence the prefix and the suffix combine to indicate someone who has wrought words, themes, and other elements into a dramatic form, someone who crafts plays. The homophone with write is in this case entirely coincidental.

Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted by the law of a jurisdiction to the author or creator of an original work, including the right to copy, distribute and adapt the work. Exceptions and limitations to these rights strive to balance the public interest in the wide distribution of the material produced and to encourage creativity. Exceptions include fair dealing and fair use, and such use does not require the permission of the copyright owner. All other uses require permission and copyright owners can license or permanently transfer or assign their exclusive rights to others.

Copyright does not protect ideas, only their expression or fixation. In most jurisdictions, copyright arises upon fixation and does not need to be registered. Copyright protection applies for a specific period of time, after which the work is said to enter the public domain.

The first copyright statute was the British Statute of Anne of 1709, the full title of which was: "An Act for the Encouragement of Learning, by vesting the Copies of Printed Books in the Authors or purchasers of such Copies, during the Times therein mentioned". Copyright laws are partially standardized through international and regional agreements such as the Berne Convention and the European copyright directives. Although there are consistencies among nations' copyright laws, each jurisdiction has separate and distinct laws and regulations covering copyright. National copyright laws on licensing, transfer and assignment of copyright still vary greatly between countries and copyrighted works are licensed on a territorial basis. Some jurisdictions also recognize moral rights of creators, such as the right to be credited for the work.

Initially copyright only applied to published books, but over time copyright was extended to other uses, such as translations and derivative works. Copyright now covers a wide range of works, including maps, dramatic works, paintings, photographs, sound recordings, motion pictures, and computer programs

Copywriters
Most copywriters are employees within organizations such as advertising agencies, public relations firms, company advertising departments, large stores, marketing firms, broadcasters and cable providers, newspapers, book publishers and magazines. Copywriters can also be independent contractors who freelance for a variety of clients, at the clients' offices or working from their own, or partners or employees in a specialized copywriting agency. Such agencies combine copywriting services with a range of editorial and associated services that may include positioning and messaging consulting, social media and SEO consulting, developmental editing, and copy editing, proofreading, fact checking, layout, and design. A copywriting agency most often serves large corporations.

A copywriter usually works as part of a creative team. Advertising agencies partner copywriters with art directors. The copywriter has ultimate responsibility for the advertisement's verbal or textual content, which often includes receiving the copy information from the client. (Where this formally extends into the role of account executive, the job may be described as "copy/contact.") The art director has ultimate responsibility for visual communication and, particularly in the case of print work, may oversee production. Either person may come up with the overall idea for the advertisement or commercial (typically referred to as the concept or "big idea"), and the process of collaboration often improves the work.

Copywriters are similar to technical writers and the careers may overlap. Broadly speaking, however, technical writing is dedicated to informing readers rather than persuading them. For example, a copywriter writes an ad to sell a car, while a technical writer writes the operator's manual explaining how to use it.

Because the words sound alike, copywriters are sometimes confused with people who work in copyright law. These careers are unrelated.

Famous copywriters include David Ogilvy, William Bernbach and Leo Burnett. Many creative artists spent some of their career as copywriters before becoming famous for other things, including Peter Carey, Dorothy L. Sayers, Eric Ambler, Joseph Heller, Terry Gilliam, William S. Burroughs, Salman Rushdie, Don DeLillo, Lawrence Kasdan, Fay Weldon, Philip Kerr and Shigesato Itoi. (Herschell Gordon Lewis, on the other hand, became famous for directing violent exploitation films, then became a very successful copywriter.)

The Internet has expanded the range of copywriting opportunities to include web content, ads, commercial emails and other online media. It has also brought new opportunities for copywriters to learn their craft, conduct research and view others' work. And the Internet has made it easier for employers, copywriters and art directors to find each other.

As a consequence of these factors, along with increased use of independent contractors and virtual commuting generally, freelancing has become a more viable job option, particularly in certain copywriting specialties and markets. A generation ago, professional freelance copywriters (except those between full-time jobs) were rare.

While schooling may be a good start or supplement in a budding copywriter's professional education, working as part of an advertising team arguably remains the best way for novices to gain the experience and business sense required by many employers, and expands the range of career opportunities.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
...Dean Splittgerber:

Image © Dean J. Splittgerber
PhotoID: 349280
Photograph © Dean J. Splittgerber

If anyone has the energy to read all that, can you post a summary here? Thanks!
It's about a bunch of fireman who roast toads till they are hollow then throw them at trains, been doing it since 1923 apparently.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Am I a writer?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
KevinM

And I thought I occasionally got carried away with captions....sheesh!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
It's about a bunch of fireman who roast toads till they are hollow then throw them at trains, been doing it since 1923 apparently.
Really? Ok, then...

PCA!!!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Have to make a wedgie interesting somehow.

Wonder why it wasn't rejected since the photographer could have just linked to the Wikipedia page (which should never be trusted as historical documentation anyway)?

- Chris
Chris,
While Wikipedia is not as reliable as newspaper articles or such, I believe Wikipedia is more credible than your average Joe off the street, in this case, Dean S. I do think he should have just said, check out the Wikipedia page on this, instead of copying and pasting the whole thing.

/soapbox

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Deano12056

Thanks Guys.....I believe the person who wrote the caption is a resident of our town. Delanson has a lot of History so I thought this amount of material should be able cover enough questions that people might have... HaHa!.... I have been trying to take images that show the village and I will be trying more angles in the coming years compaired to most of the wedges with weeds and signals that appear on this site.... CB...Do you think I should remove it. Also how do I get my captions to look more like Fybourgs. Merry Christmas guys!
Deano12056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
Deano12056

After thinking about this since yesterday I have asked Chris Kilroy is remove it from the DB. I think I can do better. Deano
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Jesus Christ, can someone do the cliff notes for that?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano12056 View Post
After thinking about this since yesterday I have asked Chris Kilroy is remove it from the DB. I think I can do better. Deano
Hi Dean,

I don't think anyone wanted you to remove the shot from the data base. Some folks were just hoping you might go into the Photo Management page and replace the existing caption with a Reader's Digest version.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
JRMDC

The shot was fine, bring it back!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
Deano12056

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Dean,

I don't think anyone wanted you to remove the shot from the data base. Some folks were just hoping you might go into the Photo Management page and replace the existing caption with a Reader's Digest version.
I never thought that but after looking at it I feel I can do better. I am getting sick of shooting the same o'll angles and things in my area.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Deano12056

Somebody must be having a bad day......

A photo comment has been added to one of your photos at RailPictures.Net!
Please check the information in the section below for additional
information!

Note: This is an automatically generated e-mail. Please do not respond to it,
as your response will be sent only to the 'admin@railpictures.net' e-mail
address, and not the person who submitted the comment itself. To reply to this
comment, please visit the photo, linked below, and post a followup comment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo URL: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=349280

Comment: 'You may have well just saved this and written an article.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Regards,

The RailPictures.Net Screening Team
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
PLEzero

So people freak when one of their photos is used by a 12 year old in a youtube video but an entire Wikipedia article is copy and pasted into the remarks section? Not even a proper citation. Seems rather inappropriate. Hello screeners? Are you out there?
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
Doug Wolfe

Summary:

Train at a crossing in Delanson.
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano12056 View Post
Dean the shot is fine just a bit of banter with Jim's post, i read the entire text hence the reference to toad hollow and the fire house and think it was an interesting description of the situation back then.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #25
Deano12056

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Dean the shot is fine just a bit of banter with Jim's post, i read the entire text hence the reference to toad hollow and the fire house and think it was an interesting description of the situation back then.
No I have no problem with what Jim or the rest of you have said. You all have stated valid points. Jim is the best with his postings. I still laugh about the MJ eating pop corn image. Brad in your case of proper citation placed if you read it again you see me mentioning...."From Wikipedia.....The person who wrote it did a better job explaining that I could.....

Thanks for the comments on the Photo guys. I have always found this forum very helpful to me and others who have questions or need a critique from the vast group of members who try to help out with there knowledge on a daily basis to those of us who need help. Deano