Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 136807
Photograph © Ken Szok

Railpictures
kszok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
MagnumForce

We have the worst weather ever? News to me! I just get out on weekends and shoot plenty of Sunny shots, shoot some cloudy ones too. You just have to work differently when it is cloudy. What is your point?

I would be willing to bet that more photos on here are taken at less than 14 MP than more than 14 MP too. I know plenty of people, myself included that have 10 and 8 MP cameras and get plenty of shots on here. Unless you are cropping heavily or blowing up something to the size of a barn it doesn't matter.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 10-26-2013 at 06:41 PM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
We have the worst weather ever? News to me! I just get out on weekends and shoot plenty of Sunny shots, shoot some cloudy ones too. You just have to work differently when it is cloudy. What is your point?
My point is that where I live, there's nothing unique around here that would get a cloudy day shot on. And I'm glad you've had great weather because it's been cloudy down here for a week or more.

That's not even the point I was making though. I'll say it for 50th time, I don't have time to get out and when I do, it just happens to be a cloudy day.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
WMHeilman

There's nothing unique in Cincy? Wow, you must be extremely sheltered.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
MagnumForce

Nothing unique at all in Northwest Ohio, just a lot of trains. The Cinci area has some of the most unique stuff in the country so no issue there. I still see plenty of cloudy shots from myself and my group of friends that gets on up here. Doesn't have to be unique to get a cloudy shot on RP, just good. This idea that only sunny shots are accepted is totally absurd.

Shoot good stuff and you won't have an issue. Quit making excuses. You don't even need the best equipment to do that. There are groups in Flickr devoted to shots take with an IPhone for god's sake, and the shots are all amazing.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 10-26-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
There's nothing unique in Cincy? Wow, you must be extremely sheltered.
Easy there. My thing says Cincy but I actually live about 35 miles north. I just picked the closest city for that.

This is a shot from Cincy I would like to redo when I get the chance to go back down there.

Image © Derek Stewart
PhotoID: 394663
Photograph © Derek Stewart

I'd like to get more of the skyline in it.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-28-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
CSX1702

Quote:
Doesn't have to be unique to get a cloudy shot on RP, just good. This idea that only sunny shots are accepted is totally absurd.

Shoot good stuff and you won't have an issue. Quit making excuses. You don't even need the best equipment to do that. There are groups in Flickr devoted to shots take with an IPhone for god's sake, and the shots are all amazing.
I'm not making excuses. Why would I? It's just that in the small town I live in, there's nothing really that would make me want to take a cloudy day picture of a train. There would be nothing "special" about it. A cloudy day wedgie, who wants to see that?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #33
WMHeilman

You could choose to not make it a wedgie? Come on, there are a million ways to shoot a train. You're holding yourself back.

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 441514
Photograph © WMHeilman

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 419676
Photograph © WMHeilman

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 411130
Photograph © Wyatt M. Heilman

And just as proof that even cloudy day wedgies can be interesting.

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 412778
Photograph © Wyatt M. Heilman

It's autumn right now. Fall colors pop on cloudy days. Go find some color.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #34
MagnumForce

Who says you have to shoot wedgies? Come on dood, heck a broadside with a tree can be interesting if you do it right.

Are you a kid? Do you not have the ability to travel even a few miles away from home?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
CSX1702

Quote:

Are you a kid? Do you not have the ability to travel even a few miles away from home?
For the 100th time now.....time.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-28-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #36
WMHeilman

Then don't complain about getting good shots. Take what you can get when you can get it.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Then don't complain about getting good shots. Take what you can get when you can get it.
Now with all that complaining I just did about cloudy days, when I took this there was "filtered sunlight" thing going on. I'm honestly amazed it got on.

Image © Derek Stewart
PhotoID: 453057
Photograph © Derek Stewart

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #38
MagnumForce

I have neither time or money but am still able to easily go 10 miles east or west and catch a train in an hour. You live 30 miles north of Cinci, ok. On what line, the New Castle District? The Toledo Sub? Hamilton itself? What town do you live in?

30 miles north of Cinci is around Hamilton, and the area in an around Hamilton is one of the most varied and interesting locations in a state that has a lot of varied and interesting locations. Your arguments are still invalid.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=23704

Wedges, wedges, more wedges, think outside the wedge box! You are only holding YOURSELF back.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 10-26-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
Ween

You "only" have 14.2MP? Not an issue:

2MP Nikon Coolpix 2100 point-n-shoot:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 96234
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

7.1MP Canon SD1000 point-n-shoot:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 285340
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Granted, the first one was back in RP's olden days, but still...megapixels and camera type aren't lim-facs. Half the battle is capturing the image, the other half is processing...if you're no good at one of them, the end result will suffer.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #40
CSX1702

Quote:
30 miles north of Cinci is around Hamilton, and the area in an around Hamilton is one of the most varied and interesting locations in a state that has a lot of varied and interesting locations. Your arguments are still invalid.

Wedges, wedges, more wedges, think outside the wedge box! You are only holding YOURSELF back.
Yeah, when I am able to get out, its usually to Hamilton. The town I live in has the Toledo Sub and the NS Dayton District going through it.

I know I'm taking a lot of wedgies but it's hard to not take them when I can't practice thinking out of the wedge box.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post

Granted, the first one was back in RP's olden days, but still...megapixels and camera type aren't lim-facs.
Yeah, I was told multiple times that megapixels were not the problem. I realized that after the first response to this thread.

Quote:
Half the battle is capturing the image, the other half is processing...if you're no good at one of them, the end result will suffer.
I'll admit I'm not the best at capturing or processing. I need to practice though, plain and simple.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #42
CSX1702

So, what's the process with RAW? Open it up with a compatible program, edit it, and save as a jpeg?

Right now I'm using GIMP 2.8. And as far as I know, they haven't yet made a plugin for the 2.8 version. UFRaw is now a stand alone program for Windows and is not compatible with the new Gimp. I tried using the stand alone program and it's way too complicated for me to use.

So am I basically screwed until I can get Photoshop?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #43
MagnumForce

Unless you know how to use it, I see no compelling reason to shoot in RAW and I don't think you will gain anything by doing so.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #44
CSX1702

Quote:
Unless you know how to use it, I see no compelling reason to shoot in RAW and I don't think you will gain anything by doing so.
I guess you're the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You need to shoot raw then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

If you get deeper into photography, you will shoot RAW. And then you will say why didn't I do it sooner.

I dove into RAW the moment I had a camera that could do it. I have been blessed ever since.

This shot was saved because of RAW.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 242973
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

I do suggest shooting in RAW format and you should have your file size set to maximum.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
MagnumForce

Quote:
Unless you know how to use it,...you will gain nothing
You are missing that part of what I said and I bet that everyone of those guys that you quoted would agree with the quoted text above

Shooting in RAW helps exposure, and color balance. It does nothing for composition, sharpness, depth of field, cropping, motion blur, or essentially anything else.
It is not a magic bullet and cannot make lemonade from lemons.

My personal advice is put the thing in "P" at ISO 100 and learn composition before you worry about anything else at all. Once you do that learn about FStop and Shutter speed and depth of field and how to use them and how they all correlate with each other. But you can learn all that till you are blue in the face and it will not matter at all if you cannot compose an interesting and striking scene.

So again, shoot RAW if you want, but without everything else you will not gain anything at all from it. Heck I argue that if you shoot things only on sunny days and right to begin with, at 1024 or 1200 Pixels wide shooting in RAW doesn't gain you anything at all. But I know I am on the minority in that statement.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 10-27-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #46
cblaz

Quote:
Shooting in RAW helps exposure, and color balance. It does nothing for composition, sharpness, depth of field, cropping, motion blur, or essentially anything else.
It is not a magic bullet and cannot make lemonade from lemons.

My personal advice is put the thing in "P" at ISO 100 and learn composition before you worry about anything else at all. Once you do that learn about FStop and Shutter speed and depth of field and how to use them and how they all correlate with each other. But you can learn all that till you are blue in the face and it will not matter at all if you cannot compose an interesting and striking scene.

So again, shoot RAW if you want, but without everything else you will not gain anything at all from it. Heck I argue that if you shoot things only on sunny days and right to begin with, at 1024 or 1200 Pixels wide shooting in RAW doesn't gain you anything at all. But I know I am on the minority in that statement.
This, a million times all of this. I shoot JPEG and RAW all the time, so if I have a shot that has some complicated lighting, I have the flexibility of RAW. However, just about all of my shots on RP have been edited using the JPEG. If you're just getting the hang of things, there's no need to deal with the hassles of RAW when editing a JPEG works perfectly fine for RP standards.

I will tell you to shoot on the highest JPEG setting you have though, and resize the shots down for RP. That will give you some leeway when working on shots. It is much more rewarding to learn the ins and outs of your camera by practicing using the manual mode so you have full control of the settings. The goal is to get the shot right in the camera instead of having to rely on RAW to "save" the shot.

- Chris
Old 10-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #47
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
I will tell you to shoot on the highest JPEG setting you have though, and resize the shots down for RP. That will give you some leeway when working on shots. It is much more rewarding to learn the ins and outs of your camera by practicing using the manual mode so you have full control of the settings. The goal is to get the shot right in the camera instead of having to rely on RAW to "save" the shot.

- Chris
Yeah I already do that. I shouldn't make it sound like I'm some kid with a Nikon running around in Auto all the time. I can usually get the exposure right, it's just that I have a hard time picturing an interesting scene in my mind so they end up being wedgies.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #48
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
1. My camera only has 14.2 megapixels.
I glossed over this I guess. 14 megapixels is plenty. Every single shot I have on here is with a 40d (10mp) or 5d (12mp).
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #49
Dennis A. Livesey

Most on my shots on RP were done with a 10MP 40D as well.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #50
CSX1702

Yeah, I figured out that megapixels weren't the problem after Janusz's first comment.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album