Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
crazytiger

Default How should I redo it?

It is likely that tomorrow morning I will be able to retry this shot. This try failed miserably, but how do I fix it? The image quality is poor and the signals are overexposed. I understand that if you do a bunch of night shots your quality will decline. I will try to do few. I also plan to shoot RAW for the first time. Finally, what do I do about the blown out signals? Should I get at more of an angle so that the light isn't head on? Can y'all help me?

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I understand that if you do a bunch of night shots your quality will decline.
decline how? The more you shoot, the more you learn, and the better the results.

The linked shot has several issues. it's out of focus, it's noisy, the signal is overexposed, the signal lights are glare reflected in the lens, and the color cast is off.

Focus the shot by using manual focus, and use the signal lights to get it right. When the light from the signal bulb is as small (tight) as you can make it, the scene will be in focus.

Noise - turn down the ISO, or expose it properly.

Glare - adjusting the angle to be less head on may work better. Could be a lens issue (some do it worse than others)

Color - I generally suggest a tungsten wb at night - adjust in camera, or in RAW to suit.

I saved the overexposed comment till last. Night photography is a crap shoot when it comes to over / underexposed key items in the shot. It's easy to get the entire scene decently exposed, much harder to nail an element exposed to the trains lighting. All headlights are a different brightness, and trains go at different speeds. Both affect the amount of light on the scene during an exposure. There's really no way to estimate it. I can shoot 10 trains at the local tunnel I frequent, and all 10 will have a different lighting effect on the tunnel face / signal. This is where the luck part factors in.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote