Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #51
Diamond D

Reluctant to bring this back to the top, but I recently read this article which was quite shocking to me. I was not aware that felony prosecutions are now being actively pursued in numerous states for the crime of: video taping a police officer in public.

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

They mention three states in that article, does anyone know what the others are? What an incredibly disturbing report. You can be imprisoned for proving your own innocence...
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #52
Holloran Grade
Banned

Angry WTF Happened to the People's Right to Expose Governmental Over Reaching?

Wow, that article is really sad.

I find it interesting that the government can spy on the people, and yet in some places the people are not allowed to do the same.

I mean Dateline and 20/20 were the pioneers of investigative journalism and who knows what the world would be like without them.

Having governmental employees worried about being filmed in compromising situations is a good thing, because it tends to keep people honest.

One needs to point no further than the Rodney King incident out here in Los Angeles, to show why these laws are dangerous to the average citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King (For the young'ins.)

Not that Mr. King was any saint, but there was really no practical reason to explain the behavior of the police on "that video."

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 08-19-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #53
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I mean Dateline and 20/20 were the pioneers of investigative journalism and who knows what the world would be like without them.
There would still be those cool true-crime movies of the week, which got killed by DATELINE telling all the stories in full months before a movie could be made.

I miss Valerie Bertanelli and Jane Semour.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #54
troy12n
Banned

anonymity is a wonderful thing...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #55
Heymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Reluctant to bring this back to the top, but I recently read this article which was quite shocking to me. I was not aware that felony prosecutions are now being actively pursued in numerous states for the crime of: video taping a police officer in public.

They mention three states in that article, does anyone know what the others are? What an incredibly disturbing report. You can be imprisoned for proving your own innocence...
While this is a very disconcerting development, I really doubt these types of prosecutions have any legs. I think the ACLU types will get this up to the Supreme Court or however high it needs to get before it is found unconstitutional.

Way too many holes in this type of thing, IMO. For instance, let's say you have security cameras on your house that show the street beyond. Are they saying that the capture of the end of a car chase on that camera is a violation of law? What about the fact that many cops have an audio recorder in their shirt pocket that they activate to protect themselves during a contact with a person on the street. That would have to be thrown out too, and no way would the cops want to lose that protection. For that matter, what about the cameras on top of police cars? There would seem to be no way they can distinguish between those cameras and the guy with a cell phone camera on the street videoing stuff.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #56
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
While this is a very disconcerting development, I really doubt these types of prosecutions have any legs. I think the ACLU types will get this up to the Supreme Court or however high it needs to get before it is found unconstitutional.
The suppression of rights is slow but insidious, here is one dimension in which it is occurring, videoing of police activity:

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #57
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Bit slow there Janusz, second post in this thread about it in a day
You guys are slipping further down the pit every day, hey?
Please don't drag us with you.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #58
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Bit slow there Janusz, second post in this thread about it in a day
You guys are slipping further down the pit every day, hey?
Please don't drag us with you.
Aargh, that's embarrassing! I thought I had seen that elsewhere.

The reason I linked it, err, re-linked it, is that I was responding to Heymon saying "I doubt these types of persecutions have any legs." I think the article is pretty clear that the opposite is becoming true.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-20-2010 at 02:45 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #59
Heymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Aargh, that's embarrassing! I thought I had seen that elsewhere.

The reason I linked it, err, re-linked it, is that I was responding to Heymon saying "I doubt these types of persecutions have any legs." I think the article is pretty clear that the opposite is becoming true.
What I mean is that the cops are pushing the envelope right now, but one of these cases will be appealed to higher courts and will have to be reversed, because they will not be able to distinguish between videoing cops on purpose and inadvertent videos such as I described as well as news type videos (do you need a license to be a journalist?). Besides, the monitoring of public officials I think will be viewed as a fundamental right. So for now it is a suppression of civil rights, but it won't be this way for long, in my opinion.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #60
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
What I mean is that the cops are pushing the envelope right now, but one of these cases will be appealed to higher courts and will have to be reversed, because they will not be able to distinguish between videoing cops on purpose and inadvertent videos such as I described as well as news type videos (do you need a license to be a journalist?). Besides, the monitoring of public officials I think will be viewed as a fundamental right. So for now it is a suppression of civil rights, but it won't be this way for long, in my opinion.
I do hope you're right...the decision over that might even manage to be a very major decision on what way your country goes when it comes to civil rights.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #61
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I miss Valerie Bertanelli and Jane Semour.
Oh come on, you can see Valerie on the Jenny Craig commercials and Jane is on reruns of Dr. Quinn on TV time.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote