Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
a231pacific

Cool Worth an appeal?

Well, we got Andrew's shot in, now have a look at this one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=260184

I've got to admit, I'm sort of testing the waters at RailPictures by putting up a variety of different shots, just to learn what works and doesn't work, so I'm not going to be offended by any comments made.

The rejection reson was "underexposed" but the whites are pure and the blacks are pure. If I lighten this up any, the light rays through the smoke go away, and that was the reason for the shot. Is this just a case of "different strokes for different folks" or is there a way to make this a better shot?

Fire away!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
SamD

I could see that getting rejected for "bad motive" or something like that, but underexposed? Everything that needs to be exposed in that shot is.

It might be worth appealing for that reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejected again for some other reason.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
alan-crotty

Hi Michael,

Under exposed, I don't think so!

However, you could try a little reworking.

I've raised the shadows by 11 units, burning the top lights to reduce their diminance a bit and increased the saturation just a little bit on the smoke and brass work.

Just my thoughts, but I like the shot, very atmospheric.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steam_Cathedral_DSC_0155-1024MODED.jpg..jpg (178.4 KB, 150 views)
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
ssw9662

I personally like the photo as is, brightening the shot would take the mood out of it. Great shot BTW!
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #5
a231pacific

Hi Alan,

I was hoping you would weigh in. The ceiling light bothered me, but wasn't quite sure how to take it out. Do you use a pen tablet for outlining areas you want to dodge or burn? The lasso tool seems hard to get right.

Like Austin, I liked the original dark mood, which makes the smoke rays the subject, but if the screeners don't see it that way, it's their web site. Alan's rework makes it a great shot, but it also makes it a different shot, with the engine smoke and details becoming the subject. Now I like it both ways!

Thanks for the feed back.

Michael
Old 06-25-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Well, we got Andrew's shot in, now have a look at this one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=260184

I've got to admit, I'm sort of testing the waters at RailPictures by putting up a variety of different shots

I really like this shot Michael, It lends its self to so much possibility in the Post Processing stage. However I feel that it will most likely get the dreaded "Bad Motive" rejection here. Did you by any chance take another shot with more of the loco visible? When I first saw it I kept wanting to see more of the loco.

Attached is my version for your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steam_Cathedral_DSC_0155-1024.jpg.87911.jpg (131.8 KB, 139 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
Chris Starnes
Administrator

I think a resubmission of this shot with a little bit of level adjustments would stand a good chance of being accepted. It is a little 'different' but worthy of being posted.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
a231pacific

Thanks Switched Out and Chris. I do have a shot with more of the engine, but there is already a similar shot posted by another photographer. I went tight to be different, as Chris noted. I'll try a bit of level control to see if it opens the shot up a bit more and then think about it for a bit.

This is very much a learning experience for me and I enjoy the feedback from people who's work I appreciate. I liked Alan's rework, but I'm not sure if taking out the light isn't going too far.

Thanks.

Michael
Old 06-25-2006, 06:13 AM   #9
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Rather than make a whole new thread on the same subject, I'm going to hijack this thread.
I took this yesterday while out at Downers Grove, and I'm particularily fond of it. It was rejected for the infamous bad motive(queue background lightning). Is there anyway I can appeal this?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=261162
Thanks!
-Mike

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
alan-crotty

Default Reworked Number 40

Good Morning Michael,

Regarding your shot of No.40, I used the polygonal lasso tool to VERY roughly select the skylight area, feathered the selection by 10 px. The used the burn tool set to highlights at 6%. worked over the area until I thought it was ok, then de-selected. I then used the dodge tool set to highlights at 4% and worked up the high lights in the sunbeam areas. Next I used the sponge tool set to saturate 10% and enhanced the smoke and brass work a bit, also helped the sunbeams on a bit. I used the shadow and highlight command to raise the shadow areas about 10%, I only did this because of the screener comment of under exposed, I would have left the shadows alone otherwise as I prefer the original shadow density.

I really felt the only weakness of the original shot was the very bright skylights which tend to drag the eye away from the subject.

Keep those shots coming

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #11
a231pacific

Hi Alan,

The reason the bright interior light is in the shot is if I moved down to hide it behind the boiler, I got even more of the bright skylights in the frame. It was a tough shot to do. I then went and found the light switches and turned the ceiling lights off, but now the back lit reflections on the domes went away, but the distracting ceiling light did too. On balance, I decided I liked the shot with the lamps on better.

I just bought CS2 two weeks ago, having been using an earlier version of Photo Shop, so I haven't found all the nifty little tricks. Thanks for the tips on setting the dodge, burn and sponge tools. I'll give them a try!

Michael
Old 06-26-2006, 01:30 AM   #12
a231pacific

Slopes09 - Mike,

I like the shot! "Bad Motive: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish." I don't see that this is of low esthetic quality, so I guess it just means it's not what they want to publish! Too bad, I think it's an interesting picture.

If you get a chance to try this sort of shot again, pan on the engine and blur the background. That might also look good and will put more emphasis on the railroad subject.

I'll leave the technical stuff to more experienced Photo Shoppers, but there might be some things you can do to increase the "punch" of the shot that would make it more of a grabber.

Maybe Chris will weigh in with an opinion that will give a bit more guidance.

Good luck.

Michael Allen
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
Mgoldman

Michael, I like the shot as is.
I figured that would be "one for your special collection" - in other words - bad motive. Those types of shots seem to be hit or miss depending on a screener's particular preference. Different day, different screener.
That it was considered under exposed is just incorrect. I like it as is, it has a nice mood to it.

I would appeal it - I think then more then one screener has to look at it.

My shot of the UA Turbo was initially rejected for "common power on overcast days are generally not accepted". It was worth the appeal, another opinion.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote