Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
Wade H. Massie

Default Higher Ga$ = Fewer Photos?

As the price of gas gets higher and higher, will this reduce the amount of photos you submit to RP.net? I want to keep adding to the database, but with gas as expensive as it is I'll probably be uploading a lot of scans instead of brand new material.

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

I'm more of a Roster photo guy so I don't have many photos on here anyway.

I only live a couple miles from the trains tracks so it doesn't really hurt me to drive to see the 1 train that comes in daylight hours anyway.
BNSF_SD40-2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade H. Massie
As the price of gas gets higher and higher, will this reduce the amount of photos you submit to RP.net? I want to keep adding to the database, but with gas as expensive as it is I'll probably be uploading a lot of scans instead of brand new material.

-Wade
Really turning into a police state and this is how "they" will keep us rabble in line.... when the economy collapses. Watch "Running Man." (Schwarzenegger) So much for my national pride-that was shot out a long time ago... I have a tendency to pick a spot and wait rather than chase unless it is short.

Rich
Old 08-16-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default Won't stop me at all.

Gas prices won't stop me at all, my favorite set of tracks (CSX Cumberland and Metropolitan SDs) is about an hour away. I have the NS "B" Line about 10 minutes to the South, but I don't really like NS.

I accepted the fact that gas is a necessary evil, and I will continue to burn gas to get to the tracks, chase or whatever. I need to get to work, I need to buy groceries.

I've just learned to cut down my expenses while I'm on these little jaunts. I don't stop at every gas station and buy a Mountain Dew and a Rolo on the way there and back. Usually I take a meal with me, or eat it before I leave.

When I'm near the tracks, If I want to go get a shot somewhere different, but reasonbly close, I walk.

I bought a set of rechargeable batteries for my scanner, so I don't have to shell out $15 a week for fresh ones. I bought a longer range antenna so I get better lead time before a train arrives and don't have as many "ambushes".

Sometimes, I even ride my motorcycle, better efficiency for the gas. Although it's near impossible to hear the scanner over the pipes.

Gas is only part of the expense in my opinion.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
As the price of gas gets higher and higher, will this reduce the amount of photos you submit to RP.net?
Hell no!

BTW, for those of you who wish for a national health care system, take the current prices you pay for gas and multiply it by 2 or 3...
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
As the price of gas gets higher and higher, will this reduce the amount of photos you submit to RP.net?
It's sort of affected the number, but then again I just haven't been able to get out a whole lot for the past few months. A lot of that has to do with work and the fact that NS doesn't want to run good power except for once in a blue moon.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
mtrails

Man, it hurts, but I love to railfan. I will continue to travel and shoot trains regardless. Sometimes, I just can't afford to make a trip, and unfortunately, I'm out of places to shoot in bicycling distance. I've gone as far as to putting off a utility bill (up to $25) for gas money for the week!
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:58 AM   #8
Pat Lorenz

Well, two things have affected my willingness to go out and railfan. 1st of all, Gas costs have effected me a bit, not a whole lot but i sure do think twice before i plan a trip or decide to chase a train to the next location. Down in AZ i dont do much railfanning during the summer months because summer lighting is dull during the day time and it is very hot. The seconed thing that has effected me is the railroad, the Union Pacific sunset route is very unpredictable, unlike most other areas. It is clogged up and basically a hit or miss type deal. The thing that keeps me from going out is i cant seem to get good clean power. Union Pacific has failed miserabley on maintance of there locomotive fleet. From patch jobs to just dirty/ grimy locomotives. Its hard to find anything worth taking a picture of. Plus i have seen so many SD70M's and so little of anything else that it gets a little too repetitive.

I am kind of just holding off till the winter months right now, that is when conditions are usually better for this stuff.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:22 AM   #9
ccaranna

Well, my camera runs on hybrid technology, so the high prices haven't been too bad!

Seriously, it makes me reconsider a little about those several hundred mile road trips on the weekends, but I still try to do get mobile when I can.

I just have to look harder around town to find some new areas. Luckily I live in a town that's kind of big!

Last edited by ccaranna; 08-17-2005 at 04:25 AM. Reason: proofread...changed "to" to "too"
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
I am kind of just holding off till the winter months right now, that is when conditions are usually better for this stuff.
Pat, this made me chuckle. I guess it's all relative, AZ vs. ND, because I'm really not looking forward to going out railfanning when it's -39F w/o the wind chill. Not only will the camera probably not work but also I probably won't work either!!

As far as the dirty power issue, go out and get it anyway. Dirt and grime are part of railroading...we can't just sit around and wait on those brand new, first revenue runs of shiny power. However, I can sympathize with you not wanting to shoot UP...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
Pat Lorenz

Ween, You have a point, dirt and grime is just part of railroading but, its a part that i wont waste film on. I guess its just individual tastes. I guess winter is different for people in Arizona vs other areas. Winter days in AZ usually hit a high beteween 70 and 80, it makes a great time for photo's. As you can see the majority of my photos are taken in winter seasons. It just nice because i can go out for a whole day vs the summer time which is only good/ bareable (with 108 degree+ weather) in the morning times or late afternoon. Winter lighting is much better all day as well.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 AM   #12
Ween

Quote:
dirt and grime is just part of railroading but, its a part that i wont waste film on.
Go digital. It's win/win: you don't spend money on film/slides and magically you now have freed up money to spend on gas!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 AM   #13
John J. Poshepny

Send a message via AIM to John J. Poshepny

I ride my Bike but my Digital Camara broke so it's out for a month.
John J. Poshepny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
ssw9662

Higher gas prices have affected me a bit. I don't usually chase trains anymore and I usually only go to one location when I railfan now.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
busyEMT

I haven't had much time off from work to burn gas. Clouds have scheduled themselves to appear on my days off.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #16
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Unless where I want to go is either too far away for me to bike (10 miles) or out of the reach of the Metra system, I usually won't drive (get a ride, in my case) anywhere. So, unless there is a big increase on the price of Coke and Twix bars, I think I'll keep fanning through the worst gas prices.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #17
lucky77

My daytime job consists of driving around the Milwaukee area and working at several different locations, so there's plenty of time to stop at my regular spots along the way. If I get a tip on something great, I make sure I'm there regardless of the price of gas! Although I'll try to take the wife's car (vs. my truck) if it's some distance away. Even better when my wife comes along!