Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Arne H. B.

Default Undersharpened reject

I had this photo rejected for undersharpened first, then I sharpened it a little (which is the one you see here) and then I sharpened it some more and over did it, because it was canned a third time for poor image quality. Does it look soft or could it be a bad shot of a going away train. These trains on the Cal-p line operate in push pull mode but I never really did like the Cab car at the front of the train, and in this case the nose would be in the dark anyway. Is it worth trying again or just hold on to it?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=389277&key=0
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne H. B.
I had this photo rejected for undersharpened first, then I sharpened it a little (which is the one you see here) and then I sharpened it some more and over did it, because it was canned a third time for poor image quality. Does it look soft or could it be a bad shot of a going away train. These trains on the Cal-p line operate in push pull mode but I never really did like the Cab car at the front of the train, and in this case the nose would be in the dark anyway. Is it worth trying again or just hold on to it?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=389277&key=0
Arne,

This shot looks a bit "oversharpened" to me. It also has a touch of blotchiness (looks like I made a new word) and maybe some "bad color." The going-away deal has nothing to do with it, considering the fact you cannot tell unless you know the area or let us know. The lighting and all is perfect, but it looks like your processing really let you down here. Do you have the original?

EDIT: Looks closely around the edge of the train and you'll notice a glow around it, that is one of the major signs of "oversharpening."

alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
JRMDC

Definitely bad image quality. Start over. (Didn't I just say this in another thread here? )

It's not just sharpening, it is overall bad quality. Among many other things, look at the sky, looks pixilated - that is what Richard is calling blotchy, I presume. May be an oversharpened version of a file that was otherwise mucked up and way soft. As Richard asked, do you have a good original?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Arne H. B.

I have this original that has only been resized from 4.73mb! Definitely too big for the forums. Is the same pixelation visible in the sky? I guess my eyes are getting worse (oh no my photography fun!). I appreciate the comments. -Arne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martinez1.jpg (487.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
JRMDC

The original looks fine. Definitely start over and you can get good image quality.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Arne H. B.

Well I tried it again and went a little easier on the unsharp mask, we will see what the screener thinks!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

The shot looks over pixelated which is different from oversharpened. It's actually harder to work through over pixelation. This lap top I'm on isn't the best to judge and I trust Janusz' opinion. With that said, the original looks slightly compressed, but that might come from saving a large image size to a smaller comphresion size.

Joe
Old 07-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
The shot looks over pixelated which is different from oversharpened. It's actually harder to work through over pixelation. This lap top I'm on isn't the best to judge and I trust Janusz' opinion. With that said, the original looks slightly compressed, but that might come from saving a large image size to a smaller comphresion size.

Joe
Well, Joe, thanks for the trust, but you shouldn't! I took another look on a different computer and I see a bit of pixelation in the sky in the 1800x1205. However, if I resize to 900x600 it looks fine to me; attached is that with a sharpening at 70/0.3/0 - for some reason my usual 0.6 radius on the sharpening looked too strong. I would take the original, resize to the final submission size, 900x603 or 1024x765 or whatever, sharpen (gently!), and go with it. Well, actually, I might mess with the crop a bit, maybe do something with that shadow lower left, maybe a bit less sky, whatever I was in the mood to do. And of course avoid compression as much as possible, take it close to the 1mb file size limit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martinez1b.jpg (277.4 KB, 107 views)

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots