Old 04-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
Mberry

Default Did anyone else lose slots with the server migration?

For us poor non-elite peons, losing one of two slots kind of sucks..... Happen to anyone else?

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Bad Filename: Using characters other than A-Z and 0-9 in your filename can cause problems with our system.

Comments from Screener:
"This upload did not come through correctly during our server migration. Please feel free to resubmit. Many apologies!"
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
MagnumForce

OMG, so you can't wait till tomorrow?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
OMG, so you can't wait till tomorrow?
OMG, considering how few slots most of us get, it gets very hard to get photos onto rp when you lose slots.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
OMG, considering how few slots most of us get, it gets very hard to get photos onto rp when you lose slots.
Umm, I would say it doesn't matter how "many slots" you get but how good the actual shot it as a means of getting into the database. You can have great shot and it only takes ONE slot but have a crap shot and even a 100 or 1000 slots will not help it out. Quality or quantity works better in this case along with the fluctuations of the screeners .

Railpictures is a good sight but it's not the end of the world if a shot doesn't make the database as it seems many here have that as THEIR PRIORITY and that's too bad. There are other avenues to show your photos and enjoy the experience.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Missabefan

I *think* I may know what you are saying Mberry.

I just tried to upload a photo and it didn't show up in the queue. I got the "Thanks for uploading etc. etc." page after I filled out the form page and hit the submit button but the photo id was zero and on my members page it showed I had nothing in the queue. Tried last night and same thing. Good news is it didn't get rejected I suppose but it did knock off one of my upload slots for the day even though it didn't upload anywhere.

Last edited by Missabefan; 04-13-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Umm, I would say it doesn't matter how "many slots" you get but how good the actual shot it as a means of getting into the database. You can have great shot and it only takes ONE slot but have a crap shot and even a 100 or 1000 slots will not help it out. Quality or quantity works better in this case along with the fluctuations of the screeners .
Think you are missing the point. Good shots sometimes get rejected for some BS reason, like needing to be rotated .000000001%, or something else. If you have 1 or 2 upload slots, you might have to wait a day, to make that .000000001% correction. I think that's what he is getting at.

Back to the OP, I have not tried to upload anything since they did whatever, so I dont know if it's working or not. I looked and I still have the same # of slots, whether or not it works is a different story
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
MassArt Images

I was able to upload an image today and hot damn it was even accepted!

Image © Carl Massart
PhotoID: 477511
Photograph © Carl Massart

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Think you are missing the point. Good shots sometimes get rejected for some BS reason, like needing to be rotated .000000001%, or something else. If you have 1 or 2 upload slots, you might have to wait a day, to make that .000000001% correction. I think that's what he is getting at.

Back to the OP, I have not tried to upload anything since they did whatever, so I dont know if it's working or not. I looked and I still have the same # of slots, whether or not it works is a different story
Yes Troy, that is exactly what I'm getting at......
Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post

Image © Carl Massart
I liked it better the other way, but it is in and now it fits the cookie cutter mold.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
bigiron

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Troy, we've all had the frustration of dealing with BS rejection reasons (well I think most of us) and if the shot is good enough a correction whether a BS request or not will allow it to get in usually so what is the big deal of losing a day? Some of the rejections I've got don't make any sense at all and I hate it when the screeners want you to change a shot to actually make it unlevel or other just to suit their taste but in reality it's not a realistic view but that's how it goes here sometimes. People act like there is a shelf life on the pictures they take and they have to be submitted right away! So you possibly lose a day, hey look on the bright side it's a delay in the tantrum you will have when you see the rejection.

Life goes on, Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 04-13-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: detail
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
MagnumForce

I just feel that the hassle of this place is just not worth it anymore when compared to flickr, seeing recent uploads is more of a pain, uploading things myself is more of a pain.

Mike, I enjoy the hell out of your stuff on Flickr and looking at your most recent stuff I am betting it doesn't fit the formula for here, that said your photographs are excellent and there is nothing wrong with them so you likely have to change them to fit the RP mold. Why even worry about that? I haven't uploaded anything here in sometime, not by conscious choice but because I have found so much enjoyment in uploading elsewhere that RP is a total afterthought anymore. So you only have a couple slots a day, they mess up on a day. Just another reason that RP seems to be losing favor to so many, not because it is bad but because it has just not kept up with the alternatives.

I would stack up the most recent photos from individuals I follow on Flickr with anything uploaded here before Troy starts with his Flickr has so much crap BS.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I just feel that the hassle of this place is just not worth it anymore when compared to flickr, seeing recent uploads is more of a pain, uploading things myself is more of a pain.

Mike, I enjoy the hell out of your stuff on Flickr and looking at your most recent stuff I am betting it doesn't fit the formula for here, that said your photographs are excellent and there is nothing wrong with them so you likely have to change them to fit the RP mold. Why even worry about that? I haven't uploaded anything here in sometime, not by conscious choice but because I have found so much enjoyment in uploading elsewhere that RP is a total afterthought anymore. So you only have a couple slots a day, they mess up on a day. Just another reason that RP seems to be losing favor to so many, not because it is bad but because it has just not kept up with the alternatives.

I would stack up the most recent photos from individuals I follow on Flickr with anything uploaded here before Troy starts with his Flickr has so much crap BS.
I hear what you're saying and I appreciate the compliment. As you and anyone can see I upload like crazy to Flickr, with over 5,000 photos and over 2,000,000 views (yes, it's maybe pointless, but I do enjoy getting high views). As a newbie to RP (uploading since last August) I am still at a point where I get a thrill from getting my photos accepted here. Maybe that will pass, maybe not. As Mitch has pointed out, RP is much better than Flickr for databasing, searches, etc and I think it's a good thing to contribute to that. But Flickr is of course better for having 100% control of your shots. I even get generally more views on Flickr than rp (a standard shot of mine will get around 300 views on rp vs. 500+ on Flickr).

Last edited by Mberry; 04-13-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
JRMDC

Michael, you are pretty well connected on flickr. I have not gone to the effort so a typical shot on flickr will get me 50+ views, not 500. I'm too lazy to do something about it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
MagnumForce

It really isn't that diffucult, I don't even join groups and get around 300 view per image on Flickr, highest has 40,000 views.

And once you are networked searching is very easy if you search only within your contacts. While not as useful for stuff about particular locomotives it is very easy to find locations. As long as you make thorough and complete captions it makes it even easier.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 04-13-2014 at 08:59 PM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post

Image © Carl Massart
Nice. As a fan of vertical train photos, I think that works perfectly with the elements in the scene.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Michael, you are pretty well connected on flickr. I have not gone to the effort so a typical shot on flickr will get me 50+ views, not 500. I'm too lazy to do something about it.
You're not doing it right! You have to post your images on facebook (your own page and train-specific pages) in order to get a million views.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote