Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
kml928

Default Rejected for cloudy on sunny day?

Um, you can see the shadows from the sun, it was nice all day this past Sunday when I took this shot!?!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1273692542

I am really about to give up at this point when I'm getting rejects for absolutely incorrect reasons now....
kml928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

About 1/4 get in, and they don't get the reject right all the time, Can make you nuts but think of it this way, try the same shot on a sunnier sunny day or rework the shot? the weak shadows is what killed the shot i think. BTW it is a nice photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 03-25-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add more
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Was it one of those days where there is high, thin clouds but it's still sunny? Those days are'nt any good. At least in my experience. I have a shot from yesterday with 2 blues leading empty hopper train 539, and the sun was shining O.K. but there were clouds everywhere. Makes it look hazy and cloudy. And your shot looks like there is no sun at all. Sorry bud As Richard said, not enough shadow to warrant a sunny day shot.

Ben
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
KevinM

Hi Keith,

I wouldn't read too much into the details on the rejection reason. The first couple of words really tell the story. In this case, the Screener was thinking "Poorly Lit", so he grabbed the check box that looked most appropriate to the situation. He only has 4 choices: Cloudy, High Sun, Backlit and Dark. In this case, since the shadows were not terribly pronounced, the "Cloudy" one probably looked the closest. Remember, the Screeners typically don't have more than a few seconds with each shot, so you won't get the kind of detailed analysis that you might get here on the forums.

In the case of this one, I think the sun angle and the shooting angle probably conspired to make it less than optimum. If you had been further to the right, with more of a 3/4 angle on the train, perhaps more visible surfaces on this train would have had better lighting, which could have tipped the balance in your favor. As it is, the largest visible surface is the top, and it not only has no interesting markings, it has a thin layer of smoke covering it.

Reshoot if you can when the light is a little brighter and try for an angle that shows the side of the train with the sunlight on it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Was it one of those days where there is high, thin clouds but it's still sunny? Those days are'nt any good. At least in my experience. I have a shot from yesterday with 2 blues leading empty hopper train 539, and the sun was shining O.K. but there were clouds everywhere. Makes it look hazy and cloudy. And your shot looks like there is no sun at all. Sorry bud As Richard said, not enough shadow to warrant a sunny day shot.

Ben
All I remember exactly is that the sun was out like 90% of the time that particular day and I could swear it was fully shining when I was at Gallitzin the whole time.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Keith,

I wouldn't read too much into the details on the rejection reason. The first couple of words really tell the story. In this case, the Screener was thinking "Poorly Lit", so he grabbed the check box that looked most appropriate to the situation. He only has 4 choices: Cloudy, High Sun, Backlit and Dark. In this case, since the shadows were not terribly pronounced, the "Cloudy" one probably looked the closest. Remember, the Screeners typically don't have more than a few seconds with each shot, so you won't get the kind of detailed analysis that you might get here on the forums.

In the case of this one, I think the sun angle and the shooting angle probably conspired to make it less than optimum. If you had been further to the right, with more of a 3/4 angle on the train, perhaps more visible surfaces on this train would have had better lighting, which could have tipped the balance in your favor. As it is, the largest visible surface is the top, and it not only has no interesting markings, it has a thin layer of smoke covering it.

Reshoot if you can when the light is a little brighter and try for an angle that shows the side of the train with the sunlight on it.
That makes sense, I really had no idea what detailed reasons they have to pick immediately, but I guess they just look for a second and either think yes or no.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
asis80

I believe you, it's been pretty nice the past few days around our area. I just know that a few shots just look "odd" when the sun is shining through the very thin clouds and when you include sky, the sky is white. Kinda like an oxymoron I suppose. Unfortunatly a retry really can't be achieved in the next couple days, we're supposed to have rain and clouds. Why don't you stand over near the museum and go a bit wider to get the tunnels, some of the park, etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I believe you, it's been pretty nice the past few days around our area. I just know that a few shots just look "odd" when the sun is shining through the very thin clouds and when you include sky, the sky is white. Kinda like an oxymoron I suppose. Unfortunatly a retry really can't be achieved in the next couple days, we're supposed to have rain and clouds. Why don't you stand over near the museum and go a bit wider to get the tunnels, some of the park, etc.
Well, I cant head out there everyday, its like a 2.5 hour drive, not too bad I guess, but I really wanted a head on shot of the tunnels, maybe I'll try it again on a day with zero clouds and some other shots like you mentioned.

There also seems to be a gound level area farther back behind the overpass if you stand to the left of the set of tracks.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Ween

Quote:
I really wanted a head on shot of the tunnels
Well, technically you got your shot...it's a head on of a train coming out of the tunnel! It does look like you got haze screwed with the lighting...was it a relatively humid day?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
Well, I cant head out there everyday, its like a 2.5 hour drive, not too bad I guess, but I really wanted a head on shot of the tunnels, maybe I'll try it again on a day with zero clouds and some other shots like you mentioned.

There also seems to be a gound level area farther back behind the overpass if you stand to the left of the set of tracks.

I know what you mean, I mean when there is better light and something other than brown dead vegetation. I was there last weekend, no train shot at the tunnels though. I know where you mean down below. There's a few warehouses/storage areas down there you can park at. I wasn't a fan of the overhead shot because the bridge has fence on both sides. Try that wider shot on the side there, see what you can come up with. I know you'd like your head on shot, try that down below. From above, lets see a wider side shot with the tunnels and some of the park area. Maybe try to incorporate the caboose. Damn, now I need to get back there and re shoot, haha.

Ben
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
KevinM

Hey congrats! Looks like you succeeded.

Image © Keith Lambert
PhotoID: 277363
Photograph © Keith Lambert

Did you work on it some more, or did you appeal it?

Edit: Actually, now that I look at the two side-by-side, it looks like you re-cropped....and the new crop is definitely better.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 03-25-2009 at 11:10 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hey congrats! Looks like you succeeded.

Image © Keith Lambert
PhotoID: 277363
Photograph © Keith Lambert

Did you work on it some more, or did you appeal it?

Edit: Actually, now that I look at the two side-by-side, it looks like you re-cropped....and the new crop is definitely better.
Well, I know it made it on appeal, but to be honest I cant remember if it was a first or second reject, but it looks like they had a change of heart, I definately appreciate that they gave it a second chance. Next time I will try the other angles suggested.

BTW, anyone know why there would be a full bag of ice on the hood? You can see it in the pic, and my g/f who was with me on the time commented before I even noticed "why is there a full bag of ice on that train?!?" haha.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I'd say they probably had a cooler in the cab and were most likely letting the bag of ice thaw a bit before putting it in the cooler..

That's what they do here atleast.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #14
transit383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I'd say they probably had a cooler in the cab and were most likely letting the bag of ice thaw a bit before putting it in the cooler..

That's what they do here atleast.

Chase
NJ Transit engineers do that as well.

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 189523
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

So that's what that is. For some reason in this photo I thought it was a bag of laundry. It's really a bag of ice. How wonderful.

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 253242
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

Chris Z.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I at one time I liked my light subdued, Works good for B&W film. Still don't mined it as long as there is some shadows. I think the shot works thats why its on here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote