Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
FLODO

Default What do you think (2)

I tried this picture because it is pretty rare, despite recent events. Ofcourse, it was rejected. The first reason was for poor lighting (couldy). I am fine with it. What do you think the second reason was?

Their was also something wrong with the server.

The bottom 2 are not my photos, and the last one is my query list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2969.JPG (209.4 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg not mine 2.jpg (263.8 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg not mine.jpg (252.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg mine.jpg (249.9 KB, 198 views)

Check out my photos at http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7492

railpictures.net

Last edited by FLODO; 09-15-2006 at 12:32 AM.
FLODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
I tried this picture because it is pretty rare, despite recent events. Ofcourse, it was rejected. The first reason was for poor lighting (couldy). I am fine with it. What do you think the second reason was?
Are you serious? This is a rare event? Hardly. It only happened for what...12 straight days in August?

Of course it was rejected. It's a cloudy day wedgie of common power. There are much better photos of 2002 in the database.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

I think that the other reason one of two(soft or bad angel).
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

The third unit, the 2001, is cut off and there is a pole coming out of the 2002 in a distracting place. Should be rejected for Bad Motive, the "not the type of material we are willing to publish" catch-all. I count eight pictures on RP with this same lash up and the 2002 leading.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 09-15-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
FLODO

Poor Lighting: High Sun!

Check out my photos at http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7492

railpictures.net
FLODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
NicTrain35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
Are you serious? This is a rare event? Hardly.
It actually is a rare event. You don't see this kind of consist too often. I'd like to see it anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
It's a cloudy day wedgie of common power.
Personally, I wouldn't consider it "common" power. Sure, it's a UP SD70M, but there's only two of them in that livery.

Andrew,

The clouds really killed this photo. It's not a bad photo by any means, but it's just not what RP is looking for. To my eye, it also looks blurry towards the front of the engine (most likely caused by a slow shutter speed).

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
I count eight pictures on RP with this same lash up and the 2002 leading.
Yup, and those are properly exposed. If I have to look at a wedgie of common power I would much rather it be easy on the eyes.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Quote:
It's not a bad photo by any means, but it's just not what RP is looking for. To my eye, it also looks blurry towards the front of the engine (most likely caused by a slow shutter speed).
No, as far as grainy (or oversharpened), out of focus, bad color with poor image quality photos go, its not bad. And a slow shutter speed would result in the whole image being blurry.

Quote:
It actually is a rare event
For at least the last month.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Come ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru1056
Yup, and those are properly exposed. If I have to look at a wedgie of common power I would much rather it be easy on the eyes.
What's wrong with the exposure? You didn't say. The exposure is fine, it just happens to be cloudy- if you know how to, check the histogram for reference. It's not a perfect exposure, but perfect is pretty difficult to obtain anyway. It's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades; and I'll give you this much, it's good enough for the personal collection, right?

Quote:
No, as far as grainy (or oversharpened), out of focus, bad color with poor image quality photos go, its not bad. And a slow shutter speed would result in the whole image being blurry.
Yep, just as good as these. The only thing he's missing is high sun.

Image © ru1056
PhotoID: 106646
Photograph © ru1056

Image © Ru1056
PhotoID: 106338
Photograph © Ru1056
Come ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

So now we have someone who has two posts calling people out! I'd prefer you actually post a nme for us, Come On. But are you seriously comparing those two shots to the one of the 2002? High sun, maybe, but exposed almost percet, tack sharp, and of two subjects you do not see everyday. There are more than 50 shots of the 2002 on RP.

Joe
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
dodi4200

COME ON i canot see any high sun in the first shot of the conrail's caboose.Look again to the shadows in the caboose' body and you will see that there isnot any high sun in this shot.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Ween

Come ON, calling out someone else's photos to make a point isn't really the best thing to be doing as Ru1056 was providing his opinion of the shot in question, which was the point of the thread. Personally attacking him and his shots contributes nothing.

Quote:
And a slow shutter speed would result in the whole image being blurry.
Not necessarily. With the angle he was shooting from and the speed I'm assuming the train was going, this shot remonds me of my CoolPix 2100 days where the front of the locomotive was blurred but the rest was in focus. When you get the combination of subject speed with a lower shutter speed, at least in my experience, you get an effect like this...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
dodi4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
this shot remonds me of my CoolPix 2100 days where the front of the locomotive was blurred but the rest was in focus.
Yea Chris this happened many times with me before but i thought that its maybe the battery are finishing but i found that they still in good condition and the exposure was in maximum value (in my camera its +1.5).
Old 09-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
a231pacific

There are two possibilites for what Chris and Mohammed are talking about. One is that it is caused by a shallow depth of field, coupled with shutter delay on older digital cameras, especially non-SLR digitals.

When it's cloudy, the camera opens up wide, so there is a shallow depth of field. You push the shutter, the camera focuses, the train keeps coming closer to you and then the shutter finally fires. The front of the train may have moved out of the zone of focus.

The other is caused by slow shutter speed coupled with the train coming at you in a 3/4 shot. The nearer part of the train covers a greater angle, relative to the camera, so there is noticeable motion blur. The portion of the train further back is moving across a narrower angle, even though it's going the same speed, thus less blur so that part of the shot may look sharp.

The way to tell which it is is to blow the shot up on your monitor and look at the out of focus area and find a point of light or a small detail. If it's round and fuzzy, it's out of focus. If it's stretched out and fuzzy, it's motion.

I didn't go digital until I could afford a decent SLR with a rapid shutter response. It was worth the wait.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
Ween

What Michael said is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, Michael, for the clearer explanation!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
dodi4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
The other is caused by slow shutter speed coupled with the train coming at you in a 3/4 shot. The nearer part of the train covers a greater angle, relative to the camera, so there is noticeable motion blur. The portion of the train further back is moving across a narrower angle, even though it's going the same speed, thus less blur so that part of the shot may look sharp.
This is the part that i were looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
The way to tell which it is is to blow the shot up on your monitor and look at the out of focus area and find a point of light or a small detail. If it's round and fuzzy, it's out of focus. If it's stretched out and fuzzy, it's motion.
So i think that when the front of the locomotive is blurry its out of focus.
Thanks alot Michael for explaining this point.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #16
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

He has an XT, so its obviously bad photographer skills.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #17
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonetrain
He has an XT, so its obviously bad photographer skills.
Or inexperience. Maybe he's using the Auto function and the shutter speed computed by the camera turned out to be too slow.

BTW, if you have a dSLR and are shooting it in Auto, I encourage you to go full manual as you have nothing more than a glorified point-n-shoot when using it in Auto...
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 AM   #18
Joe the Photog

I agree with Ween. Shoot on full manual as soon as possible. If it's easier to start shooting on apeture priority, go that route, but get to full manual pronto. My photography skills didn't get started in earnest until I did this.

With that said, sometimes you get out there and don't think or get caught on the wrong settings. I've had the out of focus front of the train happen before and there is nothing you can do, but discard the shot and learn from the mistake.

My best advice is to have home base positions for all of your settings. For example, if I'm out on a sunny day, I will set the camera to f8 and 1/500 just to be on the safe side. So that when I'm ready to shoot a train, all I have to do is make a few slight adjustments.

The other "Oh, that was dumb" move I make is to shoot at night and then actually remember to move the camera back to the daylight home base settings..... except for the timer which I set for night time shoots when I forget my remote switch, which is usually lost somewhere in the dark confines of my bookbag. So that when I press the shutter instead of hearing a click, I hear a beep, beep, beep as the train passes and the shutter finally releases..... way too late.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 09-17-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #19
a231pacific

Yeah, using program can result in a low shutter speed without realizing it. Rather than going aperature priority, I would go shutter priority if you aren't ready to go full manual. That way, you will at least be sure you have stopped the motion.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote