Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Trendyh

Send a message via Yahoo to Trendyh Send a message via Skype™ to Trendyh
Default What the go with Backlit nose shots?

Ive noticed a ever increasing about of Backlit nose shots being accepted into the Database so decided to try one myself that the quality was fine just dark on the nose but plenty of sunlight on the side,
Left a comment for screener but as expected got rejected for being backlit on the nose.
Its more of a side on shot than a straight head on shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=814342898

Any advice for it?

Cheers.
Trendyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I like it a lot, though it looks a tad dark on my monitor. Maybe someone else can comment on that. Did you see what it might look like in b&w?

Joe
Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Try and lighten just the nose a little. Cool shot.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Trendyh

Send a message via Yahoo to Trendyh Send a message via Skype™ to Trendyh

Thanks guys,i tried new edit lightening it up abit and one in black & white.

Trendyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Somebody in the WWW

OT, but the lead unit in that photo has to be one of the cleanest NRs that I have seen for a while!
Somebody in the WWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
ddavies

I have noticed a number of dark-faced leaders recently, but in those pictures, the train is generally a good distance away, and not as noticeable (ie - overall vista shots with mountains, etc,). By contrast, your leader is much closer, and the dark face really stands out.

Try to lighten the front, but also increase the contrast of the area at the same time. That will make it look better than if you just lightened the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8828x.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	2742  

Last edited by ddavies; 04-21-2008 at 04:30 PM.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I think part of the reason shots without full nose light make it has to do with the shape of the locomotives. Most American locos have a point on the nose, and that makes it harder to get full light in just about all but head on sun. It's not as noticeable when half of the nose is lit well on a pointed nosed engine versus a flat nosed engine.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
a231pacific

I think dark nose shots tend to get in when the back light has created drama with the scenery. In your shot, it's pretty much brown, so the dark nose really stands out.

Also, you cropped the tops off all the trees in the background which I find sort of distracting. It turns it from a scene with a train in it to a shot that's all about the train. In the latter type shot, lack of light on the nose is generally a killer. If your original shot included more sky above the hill, try a wider crop to see how that looks.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
the-gog

I had this rejected this evening for being "backlit":

http://railphotos.demeseo.com/p49903198.html

There's a serious issue here with the screening of our shots, and it's not just me who's grumbling, but I think I'll have to start a separate thread for that. Suffice to say, I'm seriously thinking of not bothering with this site any more due to the random rejections I'm getting, and an aquaintance of mine has already done just that.
the-gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-gog

There's a serious issue here with the screening of our shots, and it's not just me who's grumbling, but I think I'll have to start a separate thread for that. Suffice to say, I'm seriously thinking of not bothering with this site any more due to the random rejections I'm getting, and an aquaintance of mine has already done just that.
First of all, nice picture. Second, in the future, please link to the actual rejection so we can see what was said by the screener.

Third, did you simply appeal? Surely, after 200+ acceptances, you are familiar with how the site works. That is what I would suggest, with an explanation of how the nose isn't particularly dark. You seem to be in a bit of high dudgeon, perhaps unnecessarily so.

RP can be harsh on the nose light standard; in this case I agree with you, I think - haven't seen the rejection page - but it's a human process and also one where this particular site has a particular standard for nose light and one can like it or leave it, and you appear to be choosing the latter.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-23-2008 at 12:24 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
Diamond D

on the same subject - here the nose is (partially) lit, but the rest of the train is dark. Not high sun, just shadow from the station. I thought it might be enough light, but I guess not.

Is this worth an appeal, or just another one to file away. thanks for the input

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=514598&key=0
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D
on the same subject - here the nose is (partially) lit, but the rest of the train is dark. Not high sun, just shadow from the station. I thought it might be enough light, but I guess not.

Is this worth an appeal, or just another one to file away. thanks for the input

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=514598&key=0
My one opinion, file away.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Wizzo

Quote:

I think Class 66's have a problem with the shape of the cab front with regard to RP. I had this one rejected for distracting shadows and I think its mainly down to the ridge just below the cab windows which is kind of insoluble as this will cast a shadow in almost every lighting situation

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=512508&key=0

Yes, I did appeal it, but still rejected

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:

There's a serious issue here with the screening of our shots, and it's not just me who's grumbling,
We all get photos rejected at times, try to give them what they need or want and they will have a better time getting in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
the-gog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
First of all, nice picture. Second, in the future, please link to the actual rejection so we can see what was said by the screener.

Third, did you simply appeal? Surely, after 200+ acceptances, you are familiar with how the site works. That is what I would suggest, with an explanation of how the nose isn't particularly dark. You seem to be in a bit of high dudgeon, perhaps unnecessarily so.

RP can be harsh on the nose light standard; in this case I agree with you, I think - haven't seen the rejection page - but it's a human process and also one where this particular site has a particular standard for nose light and one can like it or leave it, and you appear to be choosing the latter.
1. Thanks.
2. I'll try to remember to do it in future.
3. Yes, I appealed, and no, they still rejected it.

And yes, I do know how the site works, and I explained in my appeal that it wasn't backlit at all. The problem I have is that of late these rejections seem to bear little or no relation to the image in question.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
the-gog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
We all get photos rejected at times, try to give them what they need or want and they will have a better time getting in.
I sometimes upload poor shots just to see what will and won't get accepted, to "poison the well" if you like, and generally speaking, I have no problems with those getting accepted. Take these two as good examples:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=229244&nseq=4 got accepted, even though I only uploaded it out of curiosity, and not because I like it or think it's any good.

The companion image at http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=229303&nseq=3 was rejected due to "poor cropping" yet this type of composition is apparently very much my style and instantly recogniseable. And I've had more shots like this rejected due to "poor cropping" when all the comments I have from them on my other site are all praiseworthy.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #17
the-gog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
I think Class 66's have a problem with the shape of the cab front with regard to RP. I had this one rejected for distracting shadows and I think its mainly down to the ridge just below the cab windows which is kind of insoluble as this will cast a shadow in almost every lighting situation

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=512508&key=0

Yes, I did appeal it, but still rejected
Well, I can't see anything wrong with that at all -- it looks very nice. Congrats on the shot.