Old 10-31-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default As I drove aimlessly...

Lately, my life seems to have been lived on a tight schedule, with very little time to actually go out and just have fun. But, Sunday, I decided I wanted to go to a hobby store in Lombard. With my two usual railfanning buddies opting out this day, I ventured out on my own.

When I arrived in Lombard, I discovered that my hobby shop was closed. With no set spots to go to, and only a crappy black and white map I had printed out earlier, I pretty much drove around aimlessly looking for spots. First I found this shot east of the station:

After this, I moved to the main Lombard station, which just happens to be the most boring place in the world. Unfortunately, at this point, three trains decided to come in quick sucession, leaving me no choice but to work with what I had. SO, I put in my orange filter, turned the camera on B&W, and set my skateboard on the platform.

Then, another came from the other direction. Tried something different, but I don't think it worked as well.

I was ready to leave the station, but as I walked toward my truck, another train came. This one was shot in color and converted to B&W.

Now, with no perceived danger of missing a train, I ventured off in search of a new spot. After getting slightly lost and missing a train, I was still looking when I looked to the side and saw a gap in the trees in a residential area. I knew I had to have this shot, and I got it. It's probably my favorite shot of the day:

Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 163535
Photograph © Mike W.

After this train, I decided to hightail it for home. I had had a good, unplanned day with no idea where I was going. It was quite a day.
-Mike

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Slopes09; 10-31-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
CG_F45

Mike! Nice shots, very creative, as always! I like the one with the 70MACs a lot!

Were you going to lombard hobbies by any chance?

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Nice report Mike. Dirving around aimlessly is sometimes the best method to getting some killer shots.

I hope the hobby shop isnt closed for good. Its sad to see hobby shops close for good.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

Great report and shots Mike.I used to see great and creative shots from you.Did you tried to upload the first shot to database?
Thanks alot for sharing and keep up the great work.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Thanks to all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG_F45
Mike! Nice shots, very creative, as always! I like the one with the 70MACs a lot!

Were you going to lombard hobbies by any chance?
I tried the '70MACs one but it was rejected for Bad Motive and Backlit. But, meh I didn't think it would get in, but I thought I'd give it a try.Indeed, I was heading there. They have a certain engine I want on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Nice report Mike. Dirving around aimlessly is sometimes the best method to getting some killer shots.

I hope the hobby shop isnt closed for good. Its sad to see hobby shops close for good.
It was a rather fun way to find shots. I might try it a bit more perhaps. I usually scout out spots on Google Earth or local.live, but not this time, just out of forgetfulness. And don't worry, it's just closed for Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodi4200
Great report and shots Mike.I used to see great and creative shots from you.Did you tried to upload the first shot to database?
Thanks alot for sharing and keep up the great work.
I did try uploading the first one, and it was rejected for bad cropping. I need to give it another try or appeal it.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Slopes09; 10-31-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Pat Lorenz

I find myself doing this alot. I just decide that i will go for a certian direction, then let the trains decide where i will go from there, i works out pretty good, and you do get some shots you probably wouldnt have expected.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote